Probable cause for wheel drag? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 76 40 felt like it was pre loaded i.e. like the emergency brake was on. Checked e brake. Fine. Put the cruiser on jacks and found that the passenger rear and the driver's front wheel is very difficult to turn by hand. Other two wheels turn very easily with the correct drag one would expect. I do not have my manuals yet (due in this week) so I did not know how to adjust the drum. I found the inspection hole but could not really see anything. I have rebuilt drum brakes before so, I know the concept of the adjusting mechanism. I just cannot see in there/get a good position to see better (my head ends up between the spings. The disc brake looks operable from the outside, pads are good, little rust, no signs of leakage. I assume that if the calipers go, it is better to find a good used one as opposed to rebuild? If so, any cross references for them i.e. used on mini trucks or used up until year X?

I have got to get pics up of this thing. It is not the best looking 40 by far but pretty amazing in that it is totally stock down to the H78-8 Dunlop snow mudders. And damn is it strong.

brake drag, as you've guessed....lots of possible culprits tho. Front caliper outta be easy to inspect, since only one side is dragging. If the small springs and pins are clean and intact (pin rust can cause issues) and if the pistons themselves aren't rusted, then my first guess would be a bad axle-to-caliper hose, allowing fluid to the caliper under pressure but not allowing it to return. OLD hoses commonly break down internally...if the outside shows ANY cracks, replace all 4 on the vehicle. (5 if you include the clutch hose, which is a good idea....) Crimped lines are a possibility too....worth an inspection of everything...might have caught on a log/rock or something.

Rear could be as easy as a busted spring or rusted-off shoe-retainer pin or as bad as a rusted brake piston.

Once you get things apart, it outta be easy to spot for each....

Thanks Woody. Yeah, as soon as I get the jist on loosening the drum pads, the rear will be easy I think.

The front, as you have said, will take the inspection. Off hand, do you know the ID/OD for replacement brake lines?

[quote author=Jukelemon link=board=1;threadid=11590;start=msg105606#msg105606 date=1076942423]
Off hand, do you know the ID/OD for replacement brake lines?
[/quote]

OEM TOYOTA, the only way to go.

Contact Cdan out here, he will take care of you.

Good luck!

-Steve

Poser:

That is where they are coming from. Should be here this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom