Prepping Steel Wheels for New Paint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.davidmichelle.org
I'm picking up a new to me set of steel Tundra wheels for my 60. They're a factory silver color, and I'm looking to paint them a gun-metal color or black, from a rattle can. I think that they're in good shape, but I really want the paint to stick, especially considering I wheel this truck.

How should I prep the wheels? Should I wire wheel them? Sand them? What type of cleaning would be best? Scouring pad? Mineral spirits? Etc? Also, should I prime the wheels before painting? How many coats of paint would you suggest?

Sorry for all of the questions, but when I painted my sliders, I put 3 coats of rattlecan on them, and it's coming off now. Don't want to have the same thing happen to the wheels.

Thanks in advance!:beer:

I just repainted the wheels on my Pig. Who knows if I did them right but here is what I did.

Wire wheeled (air compressor) old paint off.
Smoothed things up with some sand paper.
Washed with soapy water.
Wiped down with paint thinner (I think it was paint thinner).
Let dry well.
Two or so light coats of primer.
Two light coats of Rustoleum flat black and one heavier coat for three total coats.
Four very light coats of flat clear coat.

They look good for raddle can. I plan on beating the snot out of them so I didn't want to spend too much time on them.

:cheers:

I have painted a few sets, I don't think you have to get off all the old paint you just want to get good adhesion, wire brush or sand off any glossy finish, then wipe down really well with paint thinner, and a couple light coats of paint should do it.

I would wipe them down very carefully with fast drying laquer thinner. You can get it at any auto paint supply place. I would wipe them down BEFORE using any sandpaper because if you don't get the wax and grease off first you will just be sanding it in.

After wiping them down, then get scotchbrite pads and a bucket of soapy water. Dawn dishwashing liquid works good because it is a grease cutter. Use the pads and soapy water to wash and sand the wheels all at the same time. When you are finished dry them and put them in the sun to dry. Paint after they are completely dry.

I have been using a primer from Walmart called Duplicolor etching primer that I pick up in the automotive section of the store. Lay down a coat of primer if you like and then finish with the rattle can of your choice.

Copenhagen1

Thought I would update this thread with what I did and then give a 6 month status update later.

For reference, I bought some 05 Tacoma wheels and the stock silver color wasn't going to cut it. So, I took the Mouse out and used the red plastic wool pad to remove the clear coat. I didn't want to go all the way to the metal as I doubt I'd get as good a interface as the factory did.

IMG_3393.JPG

Once all the wheels and center caps were roughed up, I wiped them all down with mineral spirits and then applied the rustoleum. Metallic Rustoleum (Metallic Charcoal color to be exact).

IMG_3411.JPG

Applied 4 coats over 5 days. And now for the finished product:

IMG_3412.JPG

Some notes. As we were installing the new valve stems, we noticed that the tool to do so scratched the paint some. I was hoping for a little better protection, but at least I can touch them up. Hope this helps someone else.

Thanks for listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom