Power Steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
??? I have been reading some on power steering conversion, but not alot which maybe I should. My question is about the turning on the power steering. I keep coming across the fact that the saginaw gearbox has a 4 turn rating. What is meant by the 4 turn? I am about to go overseas with the military and Imight be able to find a gearbox with the same turns cheaper and I will be able to get the parts for sometime to come. This will be the same fact for the power steering pump as well. Another question is about the gearbox its self. Why can't another manufacturer's gearbox be made to use? I am talking about where it mounts to the frame of the cruiser. Any help?

4 turns lock to lock?

Do a search, there have been a couple different power steering systems using Toyota power steering boxes from mini-trucks, and from the 60 series wagon...

[quote author=jwdawson link=board=1;threadid=7742;start=msg64946#msg64946 date=1069215121]
So what is this lock to lock?
[/quote]

Starting at one stop in the gear, all the way left or all the way right, then counting the number of times the input shaft rotates in it's complete range of travel.

Clear as mud? :)

Ok, Now that I have learned something new for the day, Thankyou. So what are the average auto gearbox turns? This seems as if it would be easy enough to find another gearbox to complete the same function as the saginaw or what ever else. The thing I am finding is the mounting is another issue for this as well.

By the way, you don't have to have a 4-turn box. I'm running a saginaw that has like 3 1/4 turns or something like that. It works great. Yes the 4 turn is the more desirable but it is also becoming more rare. Look also at other possible options like scout, astro, etc.
good luck
E

If you running this rig on road you want a 4 turn box. One like hammerheads is going to be to fast. Try to find a box off a 70's nova or chevelle. Or you can do a scout saginaw conversion. I've done both and can tell you that that they both envolve just about the same insatallion time and give you the same performance. Feel free to pm me and I'll give you all the ins and outs. Good Luck, Pete

[quote author=godzilla link=board=1;threadid=7742;start=msg65533#msg65533 date=1069318092]
One like hammerheads is going to be to fast. [/quote]Yeah, it's fast, but it doesn't take long to get used to it.

Look for a box with 4 mounting bolts instead of 3. Lots of both in the wrecking yards. '70s GM cars and trucks. You need one with the pitman arm facing rearward, otherwise you'll be "going left when you turn the wheel to the right". There will be two input shaft sizes - 3/4" and 13/16". I went for the larger but I'm not sure it matters.

Mine has 3 1/4 turns and I wouldn't want it any slower, especially with that giant stock steering wheel!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom