power steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a mostly stock '70 Fj40 that I want to add power steer to. The biggest tires I plan on are 33s. I am thinking of doing the mini truck conversion. It looks the easiest as well as being adequate for my needs. Plus I already have most of the parts as I have an 87 FJ60 motor with everything still on it. I am wanting input from people who have done this and are happy or unhappy with it. Also, should I get a mini truck power steering pump or use the FJ60 pump that I already have?

I am also wondering about possibly doing an FJ60 conversion but I do not know too much about this conversion. I don't think that my steering column will work for this. But I don't want to do the mini truck conversion without looking into the FJ60 option.

Thanks for any advise or input you might have.

Max

IMHO, I would use all 60 parts and if you have access to the rig the motor came out of, grab the front axle and use the parts for a disc conversion. You can use the 60 tie rods etc that way also and enhance steering and braking. There was a thread a couple of weeks ago about mounting the 60 box on the frame. Search for that there are lots of good articles. Lastly, you may have to buy a ford shock tower to replace the stock one on the drivers side so youve got room for the column...

I don't think that my steering column will work for this.

Mini-truck power steering is not a bolt in deal into the early to 08/72 40 series with the steering column integral with the steering gear box.

Does not matter what kind of power steering conversion you decide to install, you will be required to modify your existing steering column.

All of this information is covered well in the Frequently Asked Questions section under power steering.

:meh:

I do not have the rest of the FJ60 that the motor came from. A guy I did some work for swapped a 350 into his Cruiser and said the Toyota motor was going to the scrap yard. Being the Toyota lover I couldn't let that happen. So he gave it to me with all the parts from the carb to the A/C pump still on it. My wife frowned at me for hauling home an old almost dead motor but I thought it might come in handy some day. And you can't beat free right?

I know that my steering column will need some modification but it should only be at the end. Years ago I looked into putting a steering box from a later model FJ40 onto mine. I was told I would need to replace the whole column. And that was just for starters.

It seems that the mini-truck steering will be much simpler but I haven't done the conversion yet and I only want to do it once. So I'm trying to explore all avenues.

Keep the advice and experience coming. It helps a lot.

I am also searching the threads and doing lots of reading.

Max

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom