Power steering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What are some different options for power steering?
Pros and cons bbn of the differnt set ups.
I have 71 fairly stock 1f running 33 x12.50 tires not sure if it has spring lift or not.

Old 72 fj40 i had Saginaw , with 37 x12.50 tires.

Anyway
Saginaw
FJ60
And another box?
I don't know what all my options are. Thanks

I agree with Lil'John regarding using a conversion that eliminates the center arm/excess steering middle men/excess opportunity for slop in the steering, but I disagree with not using a 'regular' Saginaw gear box. Using a regular Saginaw series 800 gear box has been done a zillion times, provides the best ratios, and only the really mechanically deficient/challenged have bloched up the job. Yes it is possible to weaken the frame/front crossmember it you hack out a big chunk and don't replace it with something. Normally you'd box in the frame/replace material after cutting away some of it's material.

As far as gear box ratio, the 3 1/2 turn boxes (16 to 1) have a much better ratio than the 4 1/4 turn boxes (20 to 1), and many with the 4 1/4 turn boxes complain of to much mushinesss/not enough feel of the road.

As far a 3 bolt boxes versus 4 bolt boxes, It really doesn't matter because on many models when GM used a 4 bolt box they only installed 3 bolt holes in the frame for mounting (ignored 4th mounting hole in the gear box).

I have been selling and installing the ‘traditional ‘ Saginaw conversions for almost 30 years now without issue. I have them on two of my rigs. My 40, which has had it since 91, and has wheeled the Rubicon over a dozen times, and my 45, which has had it since ‘06, and is my ‘go anywhere’ rig. Zero issues with either.

Mark

Bucking the PC crowd successfully for four decades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom