Power Steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '81 BJ40 does now have p/s, but I've been curious about tackling the upgrade. I have a few questions, especially if anyone out there has done it on a 40.

- How is the steering feel afterwards? Really mushy? Good feedback or no?

- What kit is best respected? Used OEM? Others?

- Any other considerations? Nothing wrong with my non-p/s, but city parking and pavement low-speed maneuvers are a pain ;)

Thanks!

Ben

I did the mini truck power steering conversion on my 40, I used Bill Dorry's brackets (very beefy) and a power steering box from an 85 mini. Its a very simple conversion, the toughest part is removing the stock steering box pedestal (lots of grinding and drilling). I have yet to drive the cruiser with the P/S conversion as I'm still rebuilding various other parts of the rig.

I did OEM PS on my 82 fj40 and REALLY REALLY like it, no worries about it feeling overboosted or mushy. good feedback, its more power assist then something like GM PS. I will be doing another OEM PS swap on my other 82....its just SO nice.

Does you B motor block have the holes on the block for the PS pump? if so then a fj60 PS pump will bolt up. You can also replace your manaual box with a OEM PS box. I know of a complete OEM PS set up for sale localy $600, only missing the cooler tube that runs under the rad, no biggy as you can use a trany cooler like i did on my set up.

Where on the motor would the holes be? I'll take a look.

driver side toward the front of the block, should be 3 or 4(I forget) threaded holes(14mm?) even if you don't go OEM its still a good place to mount a pump for a mini PS swap.

[quote author=shameless link=board=1;threadid=11616;start=msg105854#msg105854 date=1076975259]
Where on the motor would the holes be? I'll take a look.
[/quote]

Hi shameless
I posted some photos on Jan 25 [now on pg 12] ,Re hilux P/S on BJ
It works well n i dont have any problems with the the set up
if you want any futher info let me know
regds
Ron :cheers:

Well I have no idea what I'm looking for on those pics Ron, sorry. I guess I really just need to know if it is a relatively easy upgrade. I'd probably buy the correct kit and watch a paid pro put it on.

My Bj40 sports the B engine, not the 3B, by the way.

I couldnt find a kit for my Bj so went the next best route
Its not that difficult my mechanic fitted it in 2 days
and it makes a lot of difference best of luck
I got two BJs one 80 12v n one 79 24v the 79 dont have P/S yet got to get round to doing it,ionly wheel the one with P/S the other is a conv run around
Ron :cheers:

[quote author=Gus link=board=1;threadid=11616;start=msg105812#msg105812 date=1076968931]
and a power steering box from an 85 mini. Its a very simple conversion, the toughest part is removing the stock steering box pedestal (lots of grinding and drilling).
[/quote]

Gus,
What power steering pump did you use?

Local buddy here is using a Tercel pump. I liked the feel, but the resivoir is right next to the manifolds, so it gets too hot. I was hoping to use the minitruck pump with a remote resivoir, but it doesn't match up quite as well as the tercel pump. There is a guy over on CCOT's board that used the mini pump, but he made a one-off type of bracket. I haven't been able to find much info on using the minitruck pump, but I would like to be able to use it, espically since I already have it.

TIA,
Greg

I know it is a lot to ask, but could someone draw arrows or circles to point out the new PS elements? thanks in advance :)

You kick much ass!! Was wondering on the position of the pump, this clears it all up :)

Amazing how far forward the assumbly extends...practically at the bumper!

Thanks again.

The pump is sitting where the alternator use to sit. In fact I used the bottom-mounting bracket for the alternator as the base mount for the pump. I custom made all the brackets for the alternator and PS pump. Finding places to secure the brackets to the motor was interesting, as the F motor doesn’t have many threaded holes in the front.

If you use a Saginaw PS box, it will mount as far forward as the Toy IFS box. The Saginaw mounts on the inside of the frame rail instead of on top.

Part of the reason that I went with the IFS box was it looked like a cleaner install, and I hadn’t seen anyone use one on a Cruiser yet. If you use the IFS box you will have to relocate the shock towers. I was planning on doing this anyways as the shocks I had didn’t have enough travel and were limiting the spring travel.

Also, the PS pump that I used is a standard GM. It’s out of an 81, ¾ ton Chevy PU. The IFS box is out of an 87 Toyota PU. I think in all, not counting my time I have $250 into the steering.

Anyone with a power steering 40 around DC willing to get bribed with a beer? Would like to take a spin to feel the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom