Power steering leak$$$$$$$ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought a 04 LC at my local Toyota dealer and figured while I was there I would get an est on my mystery leaks.
2 power steering hoses and the pump installed $1800
Rear main seal (leaks a drip here or there) $1100

$3,000 in repairs on a $4,000 vehicle

Did you take the "sucker" name tag off before you walked in?

Had the same problems as you do:

I bought a PS pump from CDan and had a mechanic install it for about $500....

For the rear main I just used an oil additive and it leaks no more.

Last edited:
You might want to change "04" to "94", lest this gets thrown into 100-series tech. :cheers:

I'd leave the rear main alone. It's likely a rear pan arch seal. MUCH easier to fix than a rear main...

Power steering... Well, I had a gnarly PS leak a few months ago, turned out to be a length of low-pressure hose with a hole worn in it. $25 at Napa + 1 hour under the hood and it was fixed.

I'm not trying to deter you from fixing your truck, I'm just saying that it can be done without spending big $$$$ at the dealer.

I am in the right place,
To clarify
I bought a 2004 Today.....
I had them look at my 1994........

We had been looking for awhile (about 1 yr) and pulled the trigger on a 04 with 75K miles for $20,500 today. I drove the new LC home and left old reliable in the stealer service dept. I figured if I just bought a vehicle I could get some free help figuring out where all the blood was coming from. Now that I have an extra vehicle I plan to fix it myself.

Ah, gotcha.

Seriously get a new pump from CDan, I think its about $200. I called my mechanic who told me $120 to install it. I decided to do it myself and I just followed Romer's FAQ. It was pretty easy actually. Just took awhile and gets messy if you aren't prepared. As far as the rear main leak, its also something you can do yourself. I haven't done the one on mine but I assisted on someone else's and it wasn't bad at all and is just a few beers time if you have a friend help. The whole job should cost you under $300 w/o hoses. As far as the hoses themselves I didn't do the pressure line yet but I will when I add in my new filtered reservoir and race cooler.

X2 on DIY.

$160 for a remanufactured pump. $60 for a Gates power steering pressure line. $25 for low pressure line, upper radiator hose, PCV hose, upper bypass hose, intake manifold vacuum hose. 5 hours of straining hands and elbows.

What blew me away was the the cost of oem parts, I thought they said $500 in PS hoses alone? I will pick it up today and look over the quote for sure.

Chad

What blew me away was the the cost of oem parts, I thought they said $500 in PS hoses alone? I will pick it up today and look over the quote for sure.

Chad

I just replaced my pump and most of my hoses. Look at Romer's FAQ post, the process is easy even with his post. His post makes it simple.

My parts guy confirmed that you can't get the OEM hoses without buying a new rack. My pump wasn't leaking but one of my hoses had a serious gash, infact it ripped in half when I went to pull it off of the pump. I replaced the pump to be anal.

I had my 97 at the dealership and had them do one of their free inspections, I think they quoted ~600 to replace just the pump, even though it was a hose that was leaking not the pump. Don't trust the dealer farther than you can throw em.

I did it to my '95 and just followed Romer's FAQ and there is NOBODY on this site with less experience with a wrench than I. Seriously, people say but I mean it, if I can do it, anyone can. It is one of those jobs that is darn near impossible to screw up. Some of this stuff like bearings and head gaskets and what not, sure, it would be good to have clue which end of the wrench to hold.

Go to the FAQ and order what you need. I think a brand new pump and high pressure hose were in the neighborhood of $400. And believe it or not, I did my Camry right after that and bought the rebuild kit and Tools R Us is right, rebuilding is really easy and am thrilled I did that too.

is the rear main leaking bad? My sisters has leaked off and on for about 4 years.

Rear mains leak all the time on a rig with 120k+ miles, as long as it is not losing a significant ammount of oil its not a major issue.

Robbie (Aka powderpig) replaced my ps hoses while we rebuilt the motor. The high pressure hose alone was a little over $200 from Cdan if my memory is correct. I can check my paperwork and verify if you'd like.

Turned out it was just a low pressure PS hose that cost me $4, Now I remember why I do most of the work myself.

Thats criminal $1900 for a $4 hose?????? I am calling Dateline

...and you just bought a truck from them too. I'd post up that dealers name so no one else gets trapped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom