power steering assist? worth my time? help... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.myspace.com
hey,, thanks for your time,, and here is my situation... i have a 78 fj40 with a jim c 2f, and a few years back i removed the power steering assist off of a 79 fj 40 (including pump, steering box, the shorter steering column, and some lines) the problem was,, the pump was just hanging loose on the 79,, it did not have the bracket. Now here is the issue... most of the power steering set ups i have seen, have the p/s pump located on the upper driver side of the engine compartment.. However, i have a york air compressor located in that area (my 78 had air,, pretty sure it was a dealer option,, and the bracket uses the head bolts and water pump bolts to attach itself to block)... I would prefer to keep this a/c compressor in this location, because i plan to eventually get the a/c blowing again.. So, here is my question... what is my best plan of action here?? i have all the stuff to do 79 factory p/s assist, minus the p/s pump bracket... is it possible to use a smog pump bracket to mount p/s pump... is there a bracket that would put it lower passenger side of engine? and is factory 40 power assist worth it (to steer 33's)? Now i remember some people using mini truck p/s pumps which use a remote p/s resevoir but is that compatible with the p/s assist steering box from a 79 40..... i am kinda at a loss,,, I am sure saginaw p/s would be a better set up,, but not sure on cost?? i have owned this 40 for about 19 years,,, and the last six years has been consumed with restoring it.. so now it is a daily driver,, and i want to add power steering,,,, it has been a while since i have investigated this issue,,, was more concerned with getting the vehicle back together.. any help or info would be greatly appreciated... thanks for your time..

What kind of condition is the PS pump in?

Factory A/C wasn't offered til 1979 form the dealer, along with PS.

Pics of the engine bay would be good, also pics of the A/C bracket. First it would help determine if yours is OEM.
Do you still have the air pump in place?

Power steering is one of my favorite mods I have done to my 40. If you are daily driving it, you will love PS! I think IPOR has a 79-85 pickup PS pump adapter/bracket for the smog pump location. That is the pump with the remote reservoir. Other than a couple extra hoses, it is just as easy to use as a Saginaw pump. Specs show the Saginaw pump has a little advantage in pressure, but if you are running tires narrower than 12.5", I don't think you will have issues. I had the pickup pump and gear on my 40 with 33 x 10.50s and it was just fine. When the pump started to leak, I went to a Saginaw pump because they are easier to find. I'm running 35 x 12.50s now.

Good luck

I'm about to do the mini-truck conversion myself. I've assembled all of the parts, minus some nipples. The brackets I'm using were made by Bill Dorry.

The bad news is he is no longer making them. The good news is that I believe I read a while ago that Mark at Marks Off-Road is going to continue making these.

So again to your 40. Are you running the smog pump? Do you have to run the smog pump?

thanks for the info guys... i am not running a smog pump, i just know that there is ample room in that area for a p/s pump,, i am not sure if there is a bracket that would allow me to run the p/s pump in that area (lower passenger side).. and yes you are correct,, a/c was not a standard option in 78,, however from what i understand that there were dealer options,, which basically meant, a dealer put the a/c in... so to your answer the question,, no it was not a/c from the factory,, however,, i have not seen alot of 78's with a/c and i would like to run it in the future.. Anyway,, back to the power steering issue.. the p/s pump is in good shape,, the lines are in good shape.. the steering box is in good shape,,, but i just can't figure out where or how to mount the stock pump?? I kinda would like to keep the toyota stuff verse saginaw, since everything else is toyota... i am running 33 10.50's,,, and from what i understand (thanks to you guys) is that the toyota p/s assist will steer just fine... now if only i could figure out how to mount the pump.... thanks,,, any additional info would be greatly appreciated.. enjoy

If I remember it right, the '79 PS pump that you have mounts on the upper drivers side of the 2F and the reservoir is attached on top of the pump. Since your AC compressor is mounted there, you need another option. My suggestion is to find a Toyota pickup/4-Runner PS pump and remote reservoir from a '79 to '85 model. Use the bracket from Iron Pig Off Road to mount the pump in the smog pump location under the AC compressor. I just checked IPOR's web page and did not see the bracket. Maybe they have some left or could make one up for you?? Give them a call. You may also want to ask if they know if it will all fit under the AC compressor.

I am not aware of a PS pump mount for the passenger side of a 40 series 2F.

Good luck

middle east 40s have the p.s. mounted on the upper passenger side, im not sure if that is feasable for you though. i think u.s. 3f's had ps pumps mounted there too. i heard those brackets will bolt right up to a 2f, but i cant verify that..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom