Potential Pro Purchase? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found a 2016 4Runner Pro locally

58k miles
CPO by Toyota
Looks Stock and Rust Free
Curious how the suspension holds up at this mileage? Also the wheels had a weird weight setup. The wheel weights were double stacked... Tires hardly looked aggressive. New tires installed by dealership for CPO inspection

Anything I need to look out for? CPO or not, gonna be driving 25k miles a year and need a reliable rig.

4C02A03D-3515-4A5A-89D3-DA080C08ED14.jpeg

DD3F3603-B8A7-44DA-B3B8-6B445055D879.jpeg

1D6F6E9F-5B06-4C25-9E8E-B4A539BD8589.jpeg

91568130-1646-4498-A712-F398FE43BA7D.jpeg

D7F202E5-BC49-4622-8741-D8566C02EFA2.jpeg

That's not a rust free truck. You can see rust on on the rear axle shock mounts, frame threaded holes and frame welds. The rear axle has obviously been resprayed to make it seem "rust free". You can see the paint line right up to the level of the diff fill nut. Depending on where you live that could be considered a lot or a little rust. The shocks probably need to be changed out anyways. You're likely going to need to change since it looks like they replaced with street tires and new shocks so consider that in the price. How much are they asking for it?

That's not a rust free truck. You can see rust on on the rear axle shock mounts, frame threaded holes and frame welds. The rear axle has obviously been resprayed to make it seem "rust free". You can see the paint line right up to the level of the diff fill nut. Depending on where you live that could be considered a lot or a little rust. The shocks probably need to be changed out anyways. You're likely going to need to change since it looks like they replaced with street tires and new shocks so consider that in the price. How much are they asking for it?

$38,700. 58K miles

$38,700. 58K miles

Not a deal at all, I'd pass on it. And what's all that gunk on the rear bilstein? Road grime? Is it leaking? Paint overspray? Also what color is it? Unless it's Inferno (the special color for that year) I wouldn't even consider it.

So the paint on the frame could be the "rust protection package" dealerships offer in midwest region. I say buy a new SR5 and build your own Pro. I bought my SR5 new for 35k and built what I wanted out of it.

20171125_154323.jpg

20200319_174021.jpg

20200904_155659.jpg

20191115_182800.jpg

20200323_194142.jpg

Really up to what your comfortable with bruv...

james-franco-interview-eminem-confused-reaction-1421104858t.gif

Looks like an underbody treatment to me. I wouldn't worry about it. Go with your gut!

Found a 2016 4Runner Pro locally

58k miles
CPO by Toyota
Looks Stock and Rust Free
Curious how the suspension holds up at this mileage? Also the wheels had a weird weight setup. The wheel weights were double stacked... Tires hardly looked aggressive. New tires installed by dealership for CPO inspection

Anything I need to look out for? CPO or not, gonna be driving 25k miles a year and need a reliable rig.

View attachment 2474784

Obviously it's had some sort of undercoat sprayed on. Not my ideal choice, but probably not a deal breaker for me. What's odd is the picture I left in the quote. Something looks off about the frame where the shock mount is. Maybe it's just the lighting?

The early TRD Pro models have a pretty cheap suspension setup that's not worth much over any other model and probably a downgrade compared to a similar year Trail Edition with KDSS. It's a fine suspension - don't get me wrong. I'm sure it's a nice upgrade from the $50 Tokico shocks the other models come with. But really not in the same category as the newer TRD Pro fox internal bypass suspension. On that model it is basically the bilstein 6112/5160 combo on the older models but not height adjustable. Toyota used to sell that suspension kit for about $550. Not knowing the price - you could possibly find a similar year with KDSS. Or just buy a Trail Edition pre 2016 or TRD OR (new version of older Trail edition) - but not the new-new version of the "Trail edition" from 2020 forward that is now just an SR5 with accent trim. And then add your own suspension. I think you could pick up a similar condition 2015-16 Trail edition for around $30k. If that 4R is in the same price range - it's probably not a bad deal. If it's more like $40k - that'd be a hard no for me.

Also fwiw - double stacking weights isn't unusual if you need more weight in a focused spot to balance. But if there's more than about 5 or 6 ounces of weight on any given wheel - the tires probably suck. But tires are easy to replace. So I wouldn't be too concerned with that issue.

I'm not a huge kdss or crawl control fan...90% of 4Rnunner owners don't need either. Locking diffs are easy to get ahold of for any trim line. Just my opinion...

I'm not a huge kdss or crawl control fan...90% of 4Rnunner owners don't need either. Locking diffs are easy to get ahold of for any trim line. Just my opinion...

Kinda depends on what you want to do. KDSS is probably most useful for highway manners. The cost in a 4Runner is really low at $1800 option compared to the Prado 150 where it's a $12,000 upgrade from a base model to get it. But it's not for everyone. Especially if you wanted to go to long travel suspension. KDSS has more travel stock - but limits when you start wanting longer travel with aftermarket parts. It's a bummer that it's not an extended travel setup like the LC200 uses. It could be a lot better with longer motion ratios. Since I mostly highway drive mine, KDSS was a must have for me after driving with and without back to back. Other people don't like how firm it is on the highway.

Crawl is really useful for new drivers. And it's sorted out a few times situations I could not get past with rear locker and MTS engaged. One example is the turn up the beginning of Cadillac hill. The spot where the jeep is in this picture is very tricky to navigate when the rock face is wet and slippery. I tried multiple attempts at this with rear locker and MTS and could not get around the corner without sliding down into the rock. For whatever reason - crawl control did something different that I could not do and was able to stay up high on the rock without slipping and keep the rear fender off the big rock. But - in general, I agree that I don't use it much. It's also a get-out-of-jail-free card in sand. There's nothing I've ever seen that does what Crawl does in sand. But I never really go play in sand, so for me it's not that useful for that.
Image-1.jpg

If anyone ever questions whether an SR5 is pretty good with just ATRAC - it is more than most people need.
Toyota 4runner 5th Generation- Traction and Capability Demo - YouTube

Last edited:
Kinda depends on what you want to do. KDSS is probably most useful for highway manners. The cost in a 4Runner is really low at $1800 option compared to the Prado 150 where it's a $12,000 upgrade from a base model to get it. But it's not for everyone. Especially if you wanted to go to long travel suspension. KDSS has more travel stock - but limits when you start wanting longer travel with aftermarket parts.

Crawl is really useful for new drivers. And it's sorted out a few times situations I could not get past with rear locker and MTS engaged. One example is the turn up the beginning of Cadillac hill. The spot where the jeep is in this picture is very tricky to navigate when the rock face is wet and slippery. I tried multiple attempts at this with rear locker and MTS and could not get around the corner without sliding down into the rock. For whatever reason - crawl control did something different that I could not do and was able to stay up high on the rock without slipping and keep the rear fender off the big rock. But - in general, I agree that I don't use it much. It's also a get-out-of-jail-free card in sand. There's nothing I've ever seen that does what Crawl does in sand. But I never really go play in sand, so for me it's not that useful for that.
Image-1.jpg

If anyone ever questions whether an SR5 is pretty good with just ATRAC - it is more than most people need.
<iframe width="1483" height="689" src="Toyota 4runner 5th Generation- Traction and Capability Demo - YouTube" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No I get the appeal of crawl control and kdss. Just not my cup of tea...have it on our 200 series and never used it. But I'm not rock crawling in backwoods like the Jeep in the pic. We will primarily use our 4Runner with Utah and areas where a locking diff and Atrac should suffice. 😁

The earlier TRD pro just had boring Bilstein shocks upgraded over the standard OEM, it’s nothing fancy like the Fox suspensions on the newer models.

I think the Bilstein 5100s I had on my 2013 Trail lasted about 75,000 miles before they were destroyed completely.

If it’s a pro, it won’t have the KDSS. If it does, somebody turned a trail, later the TRD off-road, into a pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom