Potential Patch for cracked radiator (at least in a pinch) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

40Man

SILVER Star
Threads
Having been a whitewater boater for many years, I've learned to weld plastic, and even patched plastic radiators in the past with long term success (requires drilling crack), but thought it would make sense to look for a simpler option that would be easy to keep with me when I may not have all the items necessary to weld.

I see that CRC makes a UV curable (sun or UV flashlight) patch that can be used on radiators. Looks like it might be a good option for at least a temporary fix to keep in the glove compartment (works on hoses, tanks and other parts too). Cures in as little as five minutes (vs 24 hours for most epoxy sealants) Haven't tried it, so can't comment on how well it works, but looks like a cool product:

CRC Perma-Mend UV Curable Repair Patch, 14089, Gray 78254140896 | eBay

Link to mfr. site with data sheet:
Perma-Mend™ UV Curable Repair Patch

Will probably buy a small patch and UV light and leave in the glove compartment as a just in case item.

Having been a whitewater boater for many years, I've learned to weld plastic, and even patched plastic radiators in the past with long term success (requires drilling crack), but thought it would make sense to look for a simpler option that would be easy to keep with me when I may not have all the items necessary to weld.

I see that CRC makes a UV curable (sun or UV flashlight) patch that can be used on radiators. Looks like it might be a good option for at least a temporary fix to keep in the glove compartment (works on hoses, tanks and other parts too). Cures in as little as five minutes (vs 24 hours for most epoxy sealants) Haven't tried it, so can't comment on how well it works, but looks like a cool product:

CRC Perma-Mend UV Curable Repair Patch, 14089, Gray 78254140896 | eBay

Link to mfr. site with data sheet:
Perma-Mend™ UV Curable Repair Patch

Will probably buy a small patch and UV light and leave in the glove compartment as a just in case item.
I checked on Amazon and this product received a less than stellar review. It would be interesting to if any Mudd users can comment on their actual usage. One of those items that look good on paper but?

I checked on Amazon and this product received a less than stellar review. It would be interesting to if any Mudd users can comment on their actual usage. One of those items that look good on paper but?

I saw that too. The product that reviewer recommended instead is essentially the same product. The key with this item is not to open in until you are ready to use it as it begins to cure in light. You also need to sand the area before applying. I have also noted the Nashua tape seems to work well temporarily on some car radiators. It may be a better option.

Some folks on the radiator public service announcement thread have used fiberglass patch and JB Weld epoxy to reinforce the structurally weak area around the PN flat plate on the radiator. I am thinking of doing this preventative fix on my 2015 LX and have a couple of questions:

(1) which JB Weld epoxy is recommended? Quick cure? normal cure (24 hours)?
(2) Is the fiber glass patch needed? It would seem that just elevating the stresses at the sharp radius near the flat plate would be sufficient. Allowing the stresses of this area to be distributed more broadly on a less tight radius. This to me seems the most important structural "fix".

Any other tips on this repair?

If you have conducted any preventative repair to this known failure area on the LC/LX radiator, how has it held up? any failures reported even with a preventative repair? Thx...

This is interesting. Plastic "welding" of the radiator crack. Seems like a permanent fix.

Perhaps this might be done as a preventative measure on radiators with sharp corners at the flat spot feature, to increase the radius at these areas, as a way of elevating stress at the point of failure. Also, perhaps this would be a good fix for failed or almost failed radiators.

I bought a small butane torch and carry zip ties on long trips. I haven't tried welding with butane torch but hope I could melt the zip ties into a radiator crack. I also bought some JB weld radiator repair kit. I have a 2008 with just at 100k miles. I have 2 2,500 mile round trips this summer and another 1,500 mile one.

You think the 115v plug would run the HF welder if I needed to if stuck on the side of the road?

I used this stuff as a PM until I have time to replace my radiator (H20 pump, hoses, etc). I have the Denso rad sitting in my garage and need to order my other parts but at least I don't have the concern of checking under that plastic make pretty shield regularly (I do check the tank level weekly).

Versachem 90214 Plastic Tank and Radiator Repair Kit

This guy used a soldering iron to melt his radiator leak closed.

Yes, it definitely works. I have done it successfully twice. On my old Mazda truck it held for 2 years+ until I sold it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom