Potential GX460 purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
There is a GX460 that I'm interested in but I can't be there in person to look at it. So they sent me pictures. One photo is of the transfer case. It has some sort of black paint or something on it. Just wondering if anyone might have a clue to what it is.

They said its not oil. It doesn't rub off and its dry.

Thanks.

Screenshot_20221011-153614_Messages.jpg

1. Don't buy a car sight unseen.
2. Maybe someone tried to paint the diff cover when the took it off, potentially for a repair. My guess is as good as yours.

What's CarFax and/or other maintenance records show? Are there any?

Go to lexusdrivers.com. Make an account. Use the VIN to add the vehicle to your account. Then you can view service records for that vehicle for services by Lexus dealers. If the owner added the vehicle to their account you won't be able to do it. But when I was shopping I did maybe 10 and only one had already been claimed. (make sure to remove the vehicle from your account if you don't buy it so the next person can see the records). The records will be much more extensive than carfax. Entries for regular service may just be "10k mile service" but anything beyond that will have pretty good notes. It won't help with non Lexus dealer service though.

Go to lexusdrivers.com. Make an account. Use the VIN to add the vehicle to your account. Then you can view service records for that vehicle for services by Lexus dealers. If the owner added the vehicle to their account you won't be able to do it. But when I was shopping I did maybe 10 and only one had already been claimed. (make sure to remove the vehicle from your account if you don't buy it so the next person can see the records). The records will be much more extensive than carfax. Entries for regular service may just be "10k mile service" but anything beyond that will have pretty good notes. It won't help with non Lexus dealer service though.
^ This

Lexus Drivers also reports any service done by a Toyota dealer. I get my service done at a Toyota dealer and it shows up.

Thanks for the tip! Just curious a vehicle I'm looking at (2013 GX460) has ZERO service records or any records for that manner, would this be an indication its a former fleet vehicle and service was done in house? Thanks!

Thanks for the tip! Just curious a vehicle I'm looking at (2013 GX460) has ZERO service records or any records for that manner, would this be an indication its a former fleet vehicle and service was done in house? Thanks!
Fleet? Highly doubtful. I would be hesitant to buy any vehicle without any service history. What does the carfax say regarding its history?

When you say no records does it allow you to add the VIN? I’ve found in past was not able to add US market vehicles that were not originally sold in the 50 US states. I wasn't able to add vehicles sold in a US territory like Guam or any other market or the world.

I originally added my own maintenance to the Lexus maintenance records years back but after some upgrade they did it blew all my entries away so never bothered to do that again.

Last edited:
You can also find service records via CarFax, if it was serviced by a non-Lexus/Toyota shop that took the time to log the vin. For my GX the CarFax showed a bunch of other non-dealer services that Lexusdrivers did not show.

If it truly has zero online records it could be because it was 1) not serviced at all (unlikely but possible), 2) serviced at an independent shop that does not participate in the database that CarFax pulls from, or 3) self-serviced (somewhat unlikely for a stereotypical Lexus driver but possible as well).

As a PSA, I self-service all of my vehicles (even for ones I've bought new - other than stuff like alignments/tires and warranty work), but I maintain a file folder with a written date/mileage/description log of every maintenance/service I perform, and all of the receipts receipts for parts and fluids, organized by year, simply to have proof of service when/if the vehicles are sold.

If I didn't have so much in my rig, I'd trade ya!

I wanted Nori Green really badly but my wife wasn't in love. We were big fans of Nightfall Mica but we weren't in a position to wait another six months by ordering one. So Caviar it was and we are pretty happy, just not looking forward to the maintenance of a black vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom