Post your wheeling damage pics (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would buy a guard. Regarding plug relocation: with a spare tire tucked under there, there's almost no room to relocate the plug higher and still have it be accessible.

Honestly, what I really want is a set of tube sliders that go under the OEM rear bumper wings (trim the bumper up just a few inches to accommodate it, like how @MTKID trimmed his rear bumper), with plate steel covering the full gap between the tube and the frame (and thus protecting the trailer plug, and creating a cavity that can protect other goodies that could be mounted in there like a relocated charcoal canister). I've been mentally hyping myself up to try this project on my own, but if someone else wanted to make it first.... I'd be okay
Now you're asking for miracles to happen. Lol

I would buy a guard. Regarding plug relocation: with a spare tire tucked under there, there's almost no room to relocate the plug higher and still have it be accessible.
My first thought when relocation was mentioned was my mom's 4Runner and laying on the ground in the rain to try and connect the trailer plug located up and underneath the bumper... I guess if you don't use it very often it's not that big of a deal, but at that point might as well do like another user suggested and remove it and store until needed.

Honestly, what I really want is a set of tube sliders that go under the OEM rear bumper wings (trim the bumper up just a few inches to accommodate it, like how @MTKID trimmed his rear bumper), with plate steel covering the full gap between the tube and the frame (and thus protecting the trailer plug, and creating a cavity that can protect other goodies that could be mounted in there like a relocated charcoal canister). I've been mentally hyping myself up to try this project on my own, but if someone else wanted to make it first.... I'd be okay with that 😄
Slee has a relo bracket which turns it 90 degrees, but it's part of their bumper and I don't think they sell that separate

I've seen someone mount it in their plastic bumper, so that could be an option if you're creative.

Mine is going to go either in my new bumper or on a bracket on the swingout. I'll run with it low initially and then decide where I want to mount it.

Slee has a relo bracket which turns it 90 degrees, but it's part of their bumper and I don't think they sell that separate

I've seen someone mount it in their plastic bumper, so that could be an option if you're creative.

Mine is going to go either in my new bumper or on a bracket on the swingout. I'll run with it low initially and then decide where I want to mount it.

When I was replacing my smashed connector, I thoroughly inspected the new one to figure out what orientations might work. There are drain holes in the plug, which when turned 90 degrees will no longer drain.

My first thought when relocation was mentioned was my mom's 4Runner and laying on the ground in the rain to try and connect the trailer plug located up and underneath the bumper... I guess if you don't use it very often it's not that big of a deal, but at that point might as well do like another user suggested and remove it and store until needed.

I do detach and remove the plug completely now when I know I'll have a chance at smashing it again, but leaving it off permanently until I need it probably will lead to corrosion on the exposed half of the connector that remains on the frame.

I do detach and remove the plug completely now when I know I'll have a chance at smashing it again, but leaving it off permanently until I need it probably will lead to corrosion on the exposed half of the connector that remains on the frame.
Sorry, I was speaking more generally to the "royal you" as it were. Just quoted your post for context - I agree with you on both points.

You could make up some plugs. I just purchased one of those connectors for another project (no splice harness extension for roadvision lights), but you could juat install them with sealant in the holes to keep it clean, dry and corrosion free. Or build an extension harness to relocate the trailer plug to wherever you prefer without splicing?

You could make up some plugs. I just purchased one of those connectors for another project (no splice harness extension for roadvision lights), but you could juat install them with sealant in the holes to keep it clean, dry and corrosion free. Or build an extension harness to relocate the trailer plug to wherever you prefer without splicing?
There is probably a factory part for connector covers. I believe I had to remove them when I installed the trailer harness.

There is probably a factory part for connector covers. I believe I had to remove them when I installed the trailer harness.
Or just find someone that removed them and keeps everything (like me, I'm a parts packrat) that can hook you up. They probably get thrown out all the time!

Grabbed a screen shot off a youtube video:
71FEBAC7-8A6E-4937-A1C2-5455A5765B51.jpeg

Last edited:
There isn't much room to move the plug up.
I made a bracket that gains it more clearance, but not much. I moved it up, towards the front and rotated it a little to make it fit.

20220531_164041.jpg

20220531_170342.jpg

20220531_170536.jpg

Would hardly call this wheeling damage, but I've unlocked the perfect conditions to jam my 295s into my dissent bumper:
  • fully loaded with family of 4 and 2 dogs
  • full drawers and fridge
  • 2 tents and 3 plano cases of stuff on the roof
  • 2 trasharoos full of firewoord
  • being extra flexy in neutral height

IMG_5402.jpeg

Not super worried about it but will add Timbrens at some point.

Last edited:

Honestly, what I really want is a set of tube sliders that go under the OEM rear bumper wings (trim the bumper up just a few inches to accommodate it, like how @MTKID trimmed his rear bumper), with plate steel covering the full gap between the tube and the frame (and thus protecting the trailer plug, and creating a cavity that can protect other goodies that could be mounted in there like a relocated charcoal canister). I've been mentally hyping myself up to try this project on my own, but if someone else wanted to make it first.... I'd be okay with that 😄

Add me to the list for that rear slider bumper.

I've gone so far as buying a tube bender to maybe make this happen. I think it's a great idea and walks a better balance between weight and protection. Now if I can just find enough time.

Add me to the list for that rear slider bumper.

I've gone so far as buying a tube bender to maybe make this happen. I think it's a great idea and walks a better balance between weight and protection. Now if I can just find enough time.
I keep going back and forth between thinking I want the bumper to have a tube slider or a formed slider (for a similar aesthetic to Slee's formed slider steps). I've started mocking up and modeling the formed slider version, but I also just haven't been able to put a lot of time on it.

Some of yall called it. And it happened... truck preformed flawless all day...untill... its the wheel spacers ....they just gave it way too much droop... afyer 6 hours of hard big rocks ...it snapped mid shaft in process...rcv's are on order.... they claim 30 degrees on inboard joint angle... I'm at 28 at full droop... like peas and carrots

20220718_123605.jpg

Some of yall called it. And it happened... truck preformed flawless all day...untill... its the wheel spacers ....they just gave it way too much droop... afyer 6 hours of hard big rocks ...it snapped mid shaft in process...rcv's are on order.... they claim 30 degrees on inboard joint angle... I'm at 28 at full droop... like peas and carrots

View attachment 3062591
Do you mean the strut spacer? How can a wheel spacer cause excess droop?

Yes... its the +4 long travel woth 1.25 strut spacers on stock shocks... 12 in of travel... should of bought rcv's months ago
Ah okay, you say wheel spacers - not the same thing.

View attachment 3062591

Oh dang, it took me a min to place your truck. I'm confused - are you running AHC still? In the top photo that looks like a stock shock, in the bottom those loo like Dobinson MRAs

1658189103250.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom