Post lift vibration? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fellas, just installed 850/860 springs and N73/74 shocks this weekend, and have had a VERY slight, but noticable vibration that starts right around 59-61 mph, it almost sounds like when you run over the warning strip on the interstate, but not quite as loud. I did switch the front left and front right tires by accident but surely that has nothing to do with it? I also did not install CC bushings. I have ran the same spring/shock setup in the past with no CC and had zero vib issues. When I say it sounds like running over the warning strip, that is almost exactly what it sounds/feels like, it doesn't really sound or feel like something driveline, but who knows? Any ideas?

I had that when I did my Js on my truck. Went almost completely away when i did a front DC shaft. Went completely away after I put some weight in the back. So what I'm saying is it's probably driveline angle. They folks here on mud really helped me track it down. I'd have been lost on my own. Put the bushings in and see where your at. Someone will chime in and show you how to measure angles and such. But yeah, the rumble strip noise is a perfect description. Dead on.

U-joints? I know Slee has always recommended replacing u-joints when installing a lift. They wear into the angle that your vehicle height puts them at. Then when you change that DS angle by raising the vehicle, they can start to vibe and complain. For a quick check, see if a couple shots of grease in the front u-joints will quiet them down for a while. If it does, but comes back then you should replace them. Also try Landtank's template for installing your CC bushings. His template focuses on rotating the anxle on it's center. He has seemed to have good success with this for minimizing vibe problems.

I also had the same problem, and it has mostly gone away after I installed Slee's blue bushings with Landtank's template, as well as putting the front DS out of phase 90 degrees. There are helpful posts about all caster and driveline issues on this forum. Cheers

i just did my lift. 850J in front and 863 rear. i was experiencing some front driveshaft (grrrr) noise on deceleration and just when i'd go on and off the gas. i did the cc bushings last week and the noise went away 80-90%. made a big difference. i'm going to change the u-joints this week and hope the noise goes away completely. if it doesn't i can live with the noise level where it is now. I have no issues at highway speed.

I recently did the same lift (850/860) on an otherwise stock LX450. I drove around for a few days without the CC bushings installed and had the same problem. Then, I installed the OME CC bushings using Landtank's template and the vibrations almost completely disappeared, except for a little roughness. I would say that installing the bushings solved 90% of the vibrations and I am going to take Slee's advice and replace my front U-Joints (OEM from CDan) this week to see if that solves the problem.

On a side note, if I had to do it again, I would likely have installed Slee's blue bushings as my caster, even with the OME bushings is 0.2* left and 0.5* right.

i agree with smug01. i would do the slee bushings as well. my caster came out at 1.1 left and 0.3 right. I am going to re do my passenger side bushings to see if i can get some greater correction.

Thanks for all the helpful comments guys, I believe the caster correction may be just out of my mechanical abilities range, I'm a junior in college and still learning about all this stuff, and installing springs and shocks is about as far as I have been able to go. So, I guess I'm wondering if there is any significant consequence to continuing to run the setup with no CC? The noise is so slight, that it doesn't seem like it will pose to large a problem. I am going to add some grease to the u-joints and then replace if that is no help. What I really need is some armor and my problem would likely not be near as bad, my funds are just lacking a little at the moment. Thanks again for the help

in order to do the bushings you need access to a shop press. it takes a lot of pressure to get the old bushings out and the new ones in. in your case you could just grease the u joints and roll with it and replace if more improvement is needed, but the caster correction bushings make a big difference in the drivability and straight line tractability of the vehicle. in other words...the truck doesn't wander so much. when you can afford it i recommend doing the bushings. doing the bushings isn't all that tough with a lift and a shop press.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom