Post Lift Alignment Readings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have not lifted my 100 series yet. The 80 series is so much more forgiving especially with the SFA ;p . Where does everyone take their vehicle for an alignment? I'm wondering if Toyota does a better job then say Big O tires at bringing the caster, etc. back to nominal.

I know the alignment needs to be done immediately after a lift on the 100, but has anyone driven there cruiser around for an extended period without getting the alignent done? Is this detrimental to the vehicle or hazardous at all?

Rockclmbr,

I believe that driving any car for an extend time with the alignment off will result with uneven wear on your tires. The 100 is no exception.

CTapia--How was the ride with the OEM tires? Just for kicks, air down to 34psi or maybe even 32psi and see how it feels. You aren't carrying any additional weight and shouldn't need too much pressure.

Rockclmbr--I took my 100 to Big-O just because it was a couple blocks from my work. I'd say it was a Big-O mistake... haha, well not that bad... they pulled three plastic fasteners from my wheel wells and either didn't replace them or broke them.

As for alignment specs, my post-lift, pre-alignment specs were as follows:
Left Caster 0.7 degrees
Right Caster 1.2 degrees
Total Toe 0.12 degrees
Steer Ahead -0.06 degrees

If you compare to my "after" results in post #1, you'll see it actually wasn't too far off. YMMV.

hoser said:
Jukelemon or Greg, do you have the computer print-out for your alignment? I was a little suspicious that my alignment guy just didn't have the skills to get it within spec. I realize it is tough though. My rig drives and tracks okay but it isn't like stock. If I can *get* more caster, I'd like to get it.

Hoser,
I don't know if they gave me that or not. I'll look at the receipt tonight when I get home. I'll post back tomorrow with the details if any.

Sorry to mis-represent on my last post. I don't want to mislead anyone. I am not saying that my 100 drives like stock after the lift and tires. I'm just saying that it tracks like it did when stock. The ride and handling have definitely changed from stock. (for the better :) )

I do not have my copy. Tires need to be aired at 35 and no more. 42 is WAY too high.

Jukelemon said:
I do not have my copy. Tires need to be aired at 35 and no more. 42 is WAY too high.

Jukelemon,

I had similar thoughts that 40ish PSI would be too much. It just happens that this is what the tire shop aired them up when they mounted my 315s TKos. I'll be bringing them down to 32-35.
In either case, I don't believe that this will address the pogo stick feeling that I'm getting. I'll be dropping my AHC lift down a bit and see if that improves.

Interesting thread.
What happened? Are you all happy with your lifts now?
Any news?

My lift and drivability are acceptable but of course, I'm looking to improve upon it. First, my caster is less than optimal. Any ideas on how to fix it? When I want to cruise on the highway, it takes a little more concentration than stock. In other words, it wanders more than I'd like. Custom A-arms with better ball joints (like in post #13) might be in order.

But what I really want is more front suspension droop (and travel). With the AHC LX shocks, I don't know if it's possible.

I'm thinking the best compromise/value for 35's might be 2" suspension lift and 1-2" body lift. I'm very tempted to do the 1" body lift.

I once visited Arctic Trucks' norwegian branch where they were lifting a 100. They did only body-lift, saying they didn't want to mess with the AHC system too much. This is 1 year ago tho'....
I'm thinking, after working a bit on the suspension system, and having the shocks in hand, that the shocks are not really conventional shocks at all, but just hydraulic sylinders transferring the movements to the actuator valves and gas springs. So, wild idea, could we use some other hydraulic sylinder, from some small machinery. like a tractor, or a mini excavator, in order to get much longer travel???? Maybe an idea for extreme offroading only.:zilla:
Or is there more to the shocks than I can see???

hoser said:
My lift and drivability are acceptable but of course, I'm looking to improve upon it. First, my caster is less than optimal. Any ideas on how to fix it? When I want to cruise on the highway, it takes a little more concentration than stock. In other words, it wanders more than I'd like.

Ditto. There is at least one other thread that discusses toe-in (80 series). Going a little more on toe-in seemed to help the over-sensitive feel after lifting. I haven't had time to check mine...but that is next to see if an adjustment in toe-in might be in order.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=69525&highlight=toe

I have also heard it's a good idea to add a little extra toe-in if you are running higher profile tires because of the extra slop.

Thought i’d share in case others run into this: if your caster and camber are way off when installing new UCAs, you may have bent a knuckle/spindle assy.

Not all that surprising on my vehicle (IYKYK)

IMG_0267.jpeg

IMG_0269.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom