possible reproduction of FJ25 parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
mysite.verizon.net
Hi all, got a PM from member 3jvj asking if I would post a little blurb on what I do...
Basically have hundreds of molds for vintage collectible toys, also about 75 various radio, heater, and trans delete plates for musclecars, as well as my only Landcruiser part, radio delete plate for FJ40's

Another member here is sending me a side marker lens (FJ40's I think??) that I will make a mold for and cast them in yellow/amber which I hear are much harder to come by.

ANYWAY, Josh (3jvj) thought there would be a few parts that would be welcome in the FJ25 crowd. I do have limited time like most of us, but would be OK to explore this a bit more....so suggestions would be also OK to see what really is the demand.

Here is my little webspace, probably some "older" guys will relate to some of the stuff I make, as I am no spring chicken myself...but still have the huevos to drive a kit Cobra. (Yes, I had and FJ40 a few years back but let it go)

MY SITE: redvenomrepros

Chris,

Thanks for the intro. Even if you don't do any 25 parts, you made my day with that site. If I ever run out of Toy(ota)s to restore I know where I can parts for my Texaco fire engine. :eek:

Our problem with the 25 and early 40 has typically been that the volume is so low repros are like doing a custom one shot deal. I can think of a couple items you might want to try, lets see if anyone else has suggestions.

I dont mind making a few small molds but need to know if there is at least a small demand (like maybe a dozen or so) before I ask to borrow any parts, otherwise not worth the labor and cost of silicone mold material runs at $100 per gallon...(small parts take about a quart or so for a good mold that will produce an exact copy) plus my labor and cost of the actual urethane plastics used for the part(s).

perhaps that little plastic cover that goes on the latch for the door quarter windows on the early 40s. are they available from toyota or elsewhere?

About reproducing the hood T emblem and the oval hood emblem................I do not think these should be offered for non 25 series owners. Non FJ25 folks are not worthy to own them. John Pardi

I know absolutely nothing about availability of any parts sorry! What are "T-birds"...
I also dont have chrome plating equipment, I am best suited for casting small interior/exterior parts in black plastic, I really dont know where to begin as I dont have access to any parts myself.
Anything I cast is most often from borrowed parts to make master molds from. Maybe opened a can of worms here...I may just need to wait and see how many inquiries for any particular part come in before
I try to access anything for casting.

Last edited:
tn_fj25%20010.JPG

tn_fj25%20011.JPG

T-bird :D

If they can be done in black plastic, I have a company that will chrome them. It all depends on the price and quality.

Yep...that DOES look like a T-Bird. Whatever part I use for the mold will be an EXACT copy of it, right down to a fingerprint, on both sides. So basically, a part as shown in the photo would need to be detailed to remove all pitting, then primed and wetsanded, and sprayed with a clearcoat to make the surface blemish free. For chromeable parts I use a high temperature tolerant plastic, it can be tinted black if needed.
Also have a guy who has been plating many of my parts for years.

as a toy collector with over 10,000 toys i will say those parts are nice .some of the repo parts out there are not good but yours look to be the correct color also .ive been making parts for years but dont sell them .i will pass your site on to some collectors i know .good luck

Yep...that DOES look like a T-Bird. Whatever part I use for the mold will be an EXACT copy of it, right down to a fingerprint, on both sides. So basically, a part as shown in the photo would need to be detailed to remove all pitting, then primed and wetsanded, and sprayed with a clearcoat to make the surface blemish free. For chromeable parts I use a high temperature tolerant plastic, it can be tinted black if needed.
Also have a guy who has been plating many of my parts for years.

These were repoduced a few years back out of brass and pot metal. Should be able to fit one better than that for a mold. I know a couple of mine were in real good shape. But won't you have to do something different than threaded studs to hold it on the hood. Not sure how well these would hold up exposed on the hood. I think the oval "TOYOTA" would be better since it's thinner. Also the "TOYOTA" emblem for the tailgate and side aprons on the earlier FJ25s would be better. The T-bird just seems like something simple as washing and drying the cruiser could snap the mounting studs.

If they were plated, a couple clear coats would be advised. Metal studs would need to be added to these by drilling out and epoxy into the stud bosses on the backs. Should be tough enough for toweling, etc.

Check this site, he plates plastics and has a much faster turnaround than many of the bigger guys.
www.chrometechusa.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom