Pop-Up Camper Repair Help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was thinking about supporting the top evenly. Take 4 2x4s of equal length with notches in the ends. One end would be put over the top edge of the base, and the other end under the top edge of the top lid. If placed next to the main uprights, they should support the top evenly. The other thing is the pop-up should have come with some sort of secondary hold up devices. Usually a one piece u-channel that goes over the inside of the extending uprights. One would go over each upright. Once in place the top is lowered onto them, and can't go down any further. The top could be lifted and set down to rest on them. That should also hold it up evenly. If the pop-up didn't come with them, it may be a good idea to make a set.

you may not need any parts, in the pics it looks like a spring acts as a tensioner for the chain, maybe all that happened was the spring came off and the chain slipped a tooth or two.

maybe get a roll pin assortment to take with you, but my money is on the spring.

The spring on the Connector Link (19)?

I missed that! Thank you...

I fixded it!

We ended up propping up the back (that would not raise all the way) all the way up w/ 2x4 and then disconnecting the drive shaft btwn front and rear lift mechanism, using channel lock to run the lift mech in the rear all the way up and then re-synching the front and rear at same height, then re-connect drive shaft.

Not sure how they got out of sync, but now front and rear go all the way up and down at the same heights!
So rear goes all the way up, and now front goes all the way down.

Problem now: The top half of the screen door fold down from the ceiling. I cannot get it to fit correctly in order to latch to the bottom half of the door. Any experience with this?

You're going to look at how it is out of alignment, then see how it is mounted so you can make adjustments to it's mounting to get it to fit properly.

You're going to look at how it is out of alignment, then see how it is mounted so you can make adjustments to it's mounting to get it to fit properly.

Alright. I just figured once I got the top to run up and down level, the door should fit!

Kind of a PITA...

My brother has a popup from a major maker and he's always adjusting the door. On the part of the door frame that attaches to the roof he drilled the screw holes out a bit and uses fender washers to keep the screws from pulling through the holes. That allows about 1/4" play in any direction which seams to work to allow fast alignment.

I fixded it!

We ended up propping up the back (that would not raise all the way) all the way up w/ 2x4 and then disconnecting the drive shaft btwn front and rear lift mechanism, using channel lock to run the lift mech in the rear all the way up and then re-synching the front and rear at same height, then re-connect drive shaft.

Not sure how they got out of sync, but now front and rear go all the way up and down at the same heights!
So rear goes all the way up, and now front goes all the way down.

Problem now: The top half of the screen door fold down from the ceiling. I cannot get it to fit correctly in order to latch to the bottom half of the door. Any experience with this?
Hello, I have the exact same lift mechanism on my Flagstaff by Cobra popup. I had the issue of the front not going down all the way with the back already down. So i lowered the back and pulled the sheer pin connecting the front and back systems, then lowered the front the rest of the way. I then reinstalled the sheer pin. Thought this fixed it then as soon as i lifted the roof again they were out of sync, AGAIN. I am not sure if raising them all they way like you did and leveling it up would be different than what i did? Maybe there is something else wrong. Now when i raise the roof the front lifts about 6" before the back starts to raise. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello, I have the exact same lift mechanism on my Flagstaff by Cobra popup. I had the issue of the front not going down all the way with the back already down. So i lowered the back and pulled the sheer pin connecting the front and back systems, then lowered the front the rest of the way. I then reinstalled the sheer pin. Thought this fixed it then as soon as i lifted the roof again they were out of sync, AGAIN. I am not sure if raising them all they way like you did and leveling it up would be different than what i did? Maybe there is something else wrong. Now when i raise the roof the front lifts about 6" before the back starts to raise. Any help would be appreciated.
This was a while ago that I did this - Maybe try syncing front and rear with things all the way up, as I describe above ^^^

This was a while ago that I did this - Maybe try syncing front and rear with things all the way up, as I describe above ^^^
Thank you for the reply. I listened more carefully when lowering and it turns out the chain was slipping on the way down which put each end out of sync every time it was lowered. So I tightened the back chain and all is good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom