Poor man’s sleeping platform (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
4641246A-1DF7-4B4E-913D-140D4C00ADA4.jpeg
70C83FD7-B91A-418A-94D2-BE3B31263F4B.jpeg
3581E9A0-C3B0-4F8F-9BE9-37DA105DF7B7.jpeg
F1306F10-501C-4FE1-A9C1-4C11DEC5187D.jpeg
The last time I slept in the back of the gx470 without the 2nd and 3rd row seats...my new 38x78 Millard foam mattress fell into the 2nd row foot wells.

I propped it up by adding my gear/clothes under the mattress.

Today I found some wood in my garage like plywood, 2x4s, and 4x4s and I made a poor mans platform.

I want my head to be by the rear entertainment system. I found this area to be less cold and more comfortable than having my head by the rear barn door.

I carry my gear in container boxes, so I do have to unload them to make the entire back my sleeping bedroom.

Ideally, the Wood platform is 34x36, 2 36” 4x4s, and 2 10” 2x4s. My scrap wood came close.

Nothing wrong with that, and good use of scrap material!

When I had my 80, I took a 5' x 2' piece of plywood, my wife covered it with some foam and material - it was perfect, and the narrow width was plenty enough to get comfy and leave most everything in the 80. Some material in the 2nd row footwell was perfect for support. I still have it and will use it in the GX.

I've slept in my GX twice.......and hated it both times. I'm sure your "poor man's" solution is a whole lot more comfortable than were my past experiences so I say well done!

I have a box build that’s the same height as the chairs folded over and have slept back there for about about 2 weeks, i put down some pads and it wasn’t that bad.

Makes me miss the tailgate on my 80. Use to sleep with it open when the weather was nice.

The sleeping platform was poor man's version, but not the mattress. The memory foam mattress at 6" makes a huge difference in how comfortable it is to sleep in the GX470. Not quite the Ritz Carlton, but nice! I could sleep on my back or on my side without any discomfort.

This twin mattress is 78"x38"x6" and folds in 3 pieces. It is somewhat bulky to carry. I highly recommend this expensive mattress ($140 at Amazon). Milliard 6-Inch Memory Foam Tri-fold Mattress with Ultra Soft Removable Cover with Non-Slip Bottom - Twin

FoamMatress_01.jpg
FoamMatress_02.jpg
FoamMatress_03.jpg

I just use my regular camping pad as most of my camping is from a canoe so I have to consider packing space and weight to some degree because of portaging. I can sleep on my side on a granite rock with my Big Agnes. Was a total game changer for me. Pad packs to the size of about two fists. I have an older model bought on clearance but this is similar.
Big Agnes Q-Core Deluxe

I have a Exped downmat that works very well and packs up smaller than a (USA) Football.... very comfortable and warm. I also use it for bottom insulation when i'm sleeping in my hammock.