please please HELP with HDJ81!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I need help, any suggestions you guys have! I'm supposed to drive this thing 1,200km tomorrow morning!

I just got back from picking my girlfriend up from the airport and on the way home on the highway something strange happened.

The truck suddenly and out of nowhere started to make a sound that resembled a belt squeel . . . I say resembled cause I don't know how else to explain it. It wasn't super loud, but loud enough to startle me and I pulled over instantly. When I came to a stop there was a puff of smoke that looked like it came from under the hood, or maybe under the the truck in the front area . . . it was very dark where I pulled over it's hard to say. When I saw that I shut the truck of right away and got out to take a look.

Nothing seemed out of the ordinary . . . felt all the wheels to see if they were hot, no brakes binding, popped the hood nothing seemed out of the ordinary (keep n mind it was pitch black) Took a walk around and there was no sign that anything had even happened.

So I decided to start the truck to see what would happen. Everything seemed fine, temp normal, oil pressure normal . . . decided to drive a little . . . no problems going slow on teh shoulder, so I decided to get in the slow lane with my hazards on, drove the rest of the way home between 80 and 90 km/h and no problems.

Made it home and popped the hood and nothing, everything seems fine. It sounds like there might be a faint (very faint) belt squeel in there, but I might be imagining it because I'm listening closer than ever before. I don't have any light out there right now, so I'll be able to take a better look in the mornng.

Does anyone have any ideas what-so-ever? Like I said I'm supposed to drive this thing from Edmonton to Kamloops tomorrow morning and now I am VERY skeptical. Should I just bring it to a mechanic first thing in the AM?

Any ideas are very very much appreciated at this point!

Thanks and sorry for how long that got

James

How high of pitch?
Did it vary with engine RPM?
Are you sure it was under the hood?

Could be lots of things:
AC compressor,
Water pump
Alternator
Turbo
PS pump
Random bearing (in any of the above or other)
Timing belt
Rock in brake

Anymore info?

Cheers,
Nick

For belt noises spray some belt conditioner onto the belts. It makes them go real quiet for a while and you can hear other noises very clearly.

Have you checked the belts for tension??

If you had a puff of smoke from the engine bay you would have smelt something ,rubber ,electrical or oil burning.

hte pitch wasn't very high. It didn't seem to vary with engine rpm, that I could tell anyways, I shut it down very soon after.

I like the rock in brake idea . . . I can relate the sound that would make to what I heard. I don't know.

I did smell somehting, not oil burning, didn't really smell electrical so I guss that would leave rubber . . . but it didnt smell as strong as one would expect burning rubber to smell.

I'm on my way out to take a look in the light now.

Thanks for the replies so far :)

get bcaa or alberta aa and go for the drive. good luck

Could even be the speedo calbe. This happen to me last summer. On an off spueeling noise . Had the cable pulled out and lubed. no more nosie.

monton said:
get bcaa or alberta aa and go for the drive. good luck

haha, that's what I'll do . . .

Hopefully everything is fine, we'll see.

Thanks!

James

All that I can imagen after reading all is a momentary stuck bearing in alternator or tensor, that make the belt smoke for a moment ..

check that the a/c turns on and off fine(watch the clutch engage/disengage.
check belts for wear, also for tension.

Betcha A/C compressor bearing - had the same thing happen to our Prado.

Good LUck
JOhnny

I've had the squeeling but it didn't bother me. I was in a dusty place and wasn't surprised that some got into the belts. The noise went away after driving on for a while.

Kalawang

brownbear said:
check that the a/c turns on and off fine(watch the clutch engage/disengage.
check belts for wear, also for tension.

You got it (as did a couple others)

Thanks! It did it again part way through my drive on Friday, I left the truck running and jumped out to see what was going on, the belt was just spinning on the AC compressor. AC disconnected and I was fine for the rest of the trip.

2rivers, how did you go about fixing it?

I was told that if the AC system is low that could cause it to seize up when it gets hot too, is this true?

it ues the freon as the lube, as it has a bit of oil in it.

Chances are the compressor is seized. Will it free wheel when it is off? Clutch disengages? then when you turn it on it slips(belt)? if so find a new compressor.

brownbear said:

Chances are the compressor is seized. Will it free wheel when it is off? Clutch disengages? then when you turn it on it slips(belt)? if so find a new compressor.

Sometimes you got a chance to rebuild your compresor, after all is a bearing .. :D

brownbear said:

Ya, thats about right. It doesn't slip right off the bat though, it is fine for a while . . . after a while it slips though.

I can't imagine an AC compressor for this thing will be cheap :(

jrhaze said:
Ya, thats about right. It doesn't slip right off the bat though, it is fine for a while . . . after a while it slips though.

I can't imagine an AC compressor for this thing will be cheap :(

Is the AC compressor a Toyota OEM part? Or it it made by someone else?
I remember hearing somewhere that the 60 series AC compressor was the same one used on an Acura and Honda sedan. Which leads me to think the are non Toyota compressors.

Cheers,
Nick

nickw said:
Is the AC compressor a Toyota OEM part? Or it it made by someone else?
I remember hearing somewhere that the 60 series AC compressor was the same one used on an Acura and Honda sedan. Which leads me to think the are non Toyota compressors.

Cheers,
Nick

That's interesting, I'll look into that . . .

:cheers:

YOu asked me how I fixed mine, well, I didnt - I just cut the belt (I was on a road trip) and havent bothered with it since. I know the compressor is seized, but it has taken a back seat on the project list. sorry cant help much.
Johnny

2rivers said:
YOu asked me how I fixed mine, well, I didnt - I just cut the belt (I was on a road trip) and havent bothered with it since. I know the compressor is seized, but it has taken a back seat on the project list. sorry cant help much.
Johnny

Thanks, it's likely that I'll take the same aproach . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom