Play in the actual steering rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Changing out my tie rods today and I saw that my actual steering rack has some play on the driver side. It was not present on the passenger side. What do you think? Is this too much play or is this normal? Only 138k.

Thanks!

When the shaft is extended that far, bit of a play would be normal. How is the play when the wheels are placed straight? The slip yoke (Plastic cylindrical bushing with a cut to mate the circular shape of the shaft) right on top of the shaft that pushes the shaft to the pinion spun by the steering wheel may have a bit of a play. These are heavy vehicles and being an automatic, I find many have their foot on the brake and then turn the steering: this put tremendous amount of force to the steering components leading to early failure. Imagine when the wheels are locked and trying to turn..

The slip yoke is a replaceable item. There should be a cup like big bolt that can be removed (spring loaded so the york forces the shaft to the pinion).

When the shaft is extended that far, bit of a play would be normal. How is the play when the wheels are placed straight? The slip yoke (Plastic cylindrical bushing with a cut to mate the circular shape of the shaft) right on top of the shaft that pushes the shaft to the pinion spun by the steering wheel may have a bit of a play. These are heavy vehicles and being an automatic, I find many have their foot on the brake and then turn the steering: this put tremendous amount of force to the steering components leading to early failure. Imagine when the wheels are locked and trying to turn..

The slip yoke is a replaceable item. There should be a cup like big bolt that can be removed (spring loaded so the york forces the shaft to the pinion).
This makes sense thank you for your input! I have yet to check the play with the wheels centered but will update this when I get the chance. Thanks so much for the advice and I definitely going to be mindful about braking and turning. I was taught to drive brake then turn from a racing standpoint to keep traction but did not think about the added stress on the steering if I am braking mid turn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom