plastic skidplates? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
is it just my imagination or are the (hardly full-coverage) skidplates on the 100s I saw made out of plastic (except IIRC for the little jockstrap under the transf case)?
not too impressive I must say
same with 80?
E

From what I've heard those plates are some wierd plastic protectors that fall off after sometime or machanics rip them off to service the rig.

I don't think anybody would call them skid plates and I'm not sure why Mr Toy was thinking when he put them on. There is another thread some time ago on them and the fact that they were missing.

The 80's don't have them.

R

Those plastic under-trays are there to help the aerodynamics of the vehicle. Many cars also have them. I would be upset if someone removed them since they should help with the fuel economy a bit.

They are there for a bit of aero effect, but also to manage cooling airflow in the engine bay, and keep grit and water splashing out. Some of these belly pans also help direct airflow through the front brakes

IdahoDoug

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=6481;start=msg52576#msg52576 date=1066592000]
They are there for a bit of aero effect, but also to manage cooling airflow in the engine bay, and keep grit and water splashing out. Some of these belly pans also help direct airflow through the front brakes
[/quote]

Oh yeah, forgot about that.

OK, so these are not skidplates at all then, correct? And not intended to provide protection against rocks etc...?
The 80s have steel plates?
Eric

Correct. There are some light duty AWD/4WD suv hybrids (ex: Hyundai Santa Fe) that have composite (plastic) "skidplates" to protect some vital components. These are obviously not meant for actual protection in serious wheeling, just against scrapes and such that would happen with a vehicle that has such low capabilities.

IdahoDoug

The 100 does have a metal one in the middle for the transfer case. The ones up front are not intended to withstand blows from big rocks and the such. But they do do a good job of keeping smaller crap out of the front suspension and engine bay. They can also help the cruiser slide over some mild bottoming out. Mine have worked when I was in dry ruts. They kept soemthing important down there from getting caught up, even in the mild ruts I was in. (Yea, I know, if in doubt stay out of the ruts, but I was curious how my clearance was...) The 80 has a solid axel up front so thats strong by its self.

-Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom