Planning a EV SAS Pickup Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all I am new to this forum and have done some light crawling here in CO in a cj5 long ago but I am looking to get back into crawling and some higher speed desert trails. I am planning on building sas toyota pickup but I had a couple questions about the limits of the toyota axles with longfields, eventually I am looking to swap a ~300hp ev motor from a wrecked mache, tesla, or maybe go big$ and buy a eluminator or amracing/cascadian(EVD250-90P1) motor. 300hp is my goal for a good balance of power and weight but I am worried that 250-300ft/lbs from an electric motor would be too much for the running gear on a 85. Theoretically the weight of the truck with battery would be about 2500(chassis) + 1500(ev stuff + some cushion)= 4000lbs. I would plan on swapping out the longfield axles and auburn select a lock diffs before the motor upgrade. Eventually I would also go with the larger tires, small lift/cut fenders, and 3 PH or 4 link up front.

Would the toyota be able to handle that kind of weight and power at higher speeds?
Would it be prudent to just plan on going dana60 when increasing the power?

<1985 toyota pickup 5mt
~300hp ev motor
longfield axles 30spline
auburn select a lock 30spline f/r diff
35-40" tires
4000lbs

https://evdrive.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/EVD250-90P1_single-1.pdf
trail-gear.com

Longfield 30-Spline Birfield/Axle Kits

Longfield™ 30-Spline 4340 Chromoly Axle & Birfield Kit The new 30 spline axle kit is a perfect match for your next budget build. This kit offers an increase in strength over stock axles (76% Stronger) without breaking the bank. Reminder: This kit comes with a 12-month warranty against breakage...
trail-gear.com
trail-gear.com
Select-A-Loc Ltd Slip to Lock - Auburn Gear Aftermarket - https://auburngeardiffs.com/select-a-loc-ltd-slip-to-lock/

Longfields used to be manufactured by RCV...they are not anymore. I would use RCV's over anything else.

And all things considered, the limited slip is decent on road, arguably useless offroad (been there, wasted that $$). Do an ARB.

Thanks Brian I appreciate the information I was not aware of the change to longfields, I will check out RCV. With the limited slip I know it is useless with a wheel off the ground, but the nice thing about this auburn diff is it is limited slip and full lock. It sounds like the best of both worlds! It should be able to handle snow and dirt in lsd, and crawling with full lock. I did read a post on ih8mud about the ected line but there was not much information except about what different kinds of diffs do (open,lsd,locked)

Right now I can find lots of salvage model3s, but their motor isnt as easy to mount to the transmission; Evest was supposed to be releasing a tesla dual motor to transmission adapter, but I haven't heard a word since the news articles came out. Assuming I can find an adapter I could pull a donor battery, controller, charger, and a single motor from a model3. Assuming I cant find an adapter the mache big ol single motor would be perfect if I can find a salvage vehicle.

I think initially for the battery I will remove the bed and mount it to the frame in the oem enclosure, but ideally for weight I would like to divide up the battery packs and mount it in between the frame rails and up under the hood with some custom enclosures, leads, and hoses to balance the weight and keep it low. I am planning on keeping the transmission as the clutch is a good safety feature and it doesnt hurt to have the option for more gear reduction. I wouldnt be opposed to eliminating the transmission and going with an atlas tcase one day but that seems more complicated with mounting and I am not sure it is necessary yet.

That makes sense about the 35s being the safe limit. I dont want too much weight and I am already pushing it with the batteries being heavy af. I think I will probably revise my tires size to 31-35"

My wife recently decided to change jobs and no longer needs our 02 tundra so I need to decide if I want to move ahead with the pickup or switch to the tundra. I think I would still want to swap the tundra to a SAS with a land cruiser front axle or a diamond housing as I want the flex, but that swap is no small penny and probably going to be about the same cost as trying to shove a ev motor and batteries in..

Ideally I want to be able to rock crawl, overland, and some whoops.. I think the majority of time would be overlanding in the mountains and crawling will be for extra fun.

2002 tundra 2uz-fe AT
pros
greater tow and payload capability 1500 payload 7000 tow
coil springs up front already
seats 4-5

cons
4500lbs
AT
IFS

1981-85 pickup 22r MT
pros
3500lbs
5MT
SAS

cons
1000lb payload 3500 tow
seats 2

Tundras are pretty good all-arounders. They don’t do anything great and there is not a lot of aftermarket support for them. Building an early Toyota pickup is certainly easier based on aftermarket and the number of times it’s been done. But it will still be an old vehicle with limited creature comforts.

Firrst gen Tundras are bringing a premium right now if they aren’t rusty. Might be worth it to sell if it’s not exactly what you want.

Thought about a 2nd Gen Tacoma? They might be a good compromise between the two platforms. Marlin is working on the RCLT front suspension which looks pretty cool.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom