Auburn ECTED locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not seeing a lot of feed back or posts here in my searches. I have an ARB in the rear of my 80, but I'm thinking the Auburn e locker in the rear of my 1969 40 as I start getting her up to snuff.

Anyone have one? Install hard/easy? If you do have one, how long have you had it and have you had any issues wheeling?

Only know of 1 owner with one I've seen in action. Pfffft not impressed. Owner didn't get true lock felt it slipping. That was under severe use. Again that's just 1 opinion

I was under the understanding that Auburn only offered a limited slip for fj40's, not a full electric locker.

While lots of people have a differing opinion from me, I am a huge fan of a full locker (Arb) in the front and a limited slip in the rear (auburn). This setup does a much better job at pulling your truck up a steep climb rather than pushing it side to side.

My wheeler hilux has e lockers front and rear, and 90% of the time, I only lock the front.

Please read the reviews. The newer designs are the best of both worlds. They are a limited slip AND a full locker if needed. The review said they never really needed the full locker because the limited slip performed so well. ARB is not limited slip, it is a full locker only. A good product as well. I used an Auburn limited slip in the front axle of an FJ40 and it performed wonderful. I am sure the new high tech differential products will be both limited slip AND full lock as the Auburn ECTED shows.

Let me explain my reasoning better. By mixed bag/compromise I mean when you look at the environment these are expected to perform in, an electrical component Is not the most reliable when its 3 feet under water. Air is only slightly better because it still relies on a compressor and solenoids. Cable is probably the best because it can be operated even if the cable breaks, they are open or locked. Limited slips are just that, limited and not really a consideration in this discussion. They are great for some light wheeling or road use but fall short when you need to have all four wheels contributing. The only way to really take advantage of LSD is to do it the way Land Rover, Mercedes and recently Toyota have done it by using the brakes individually to control traction.

Ok, it's time for Jim's "not so popular" opinion: When I began 4 wheeling in 1970 rock crawling was not a fad yet, in fact when wheeling we avoided large rocks like the plague. Eventually rock crawling became the thing, in fact normal trail wheeling no longer gets any press. Rock crawling now means one tire can be in the air most the time, and that's what has made Limited Slip Differentials very unpopular.

(1) An open diff. (no posi) is very lazy, it spins one tire only, the one that will spin the easiest, and never the other. This will not work when one tire is in the air.

(2) An Auburn Gear LSD sends 100% locking pressure to one tire (the one that has the most traction), and 80% locking pressure to the other side (when both tires are on the ground and have some degree of traction on both sides). This happens in 2WD on the highway and 4WD off road. Once one tire is in the air, it becomes the tire that will spin the easiest, so an Auburn LSD sends 100% locking pressure to the one that has the most traction, the tire on the ground.

(3) Full lockers (fully gear driven lockers) are not what we call "highway manageable" (unless they can be unlocked on the highway, ala air lockers). Everyone knows these lockers work well in off road terrain, but their problem is they are problematic on the highway. For this reason many choose the air lockers. Problem with air lockers is they provide zero highway advantage when unlocked.

For the guy who is into normal trail riding (dirt/sand/mud/snow with both tires mostly on the ground) the Auburn LSD would be my pick because:
(1) they are completely highway manageable, they unlock during highway cornering without the clunk/ratcheting/wheel hop.
(2) they work all the time, on or off road, so they have highway posi advantage as well as off road posi advantage.
(3) they provide 100% locking pressure to tire with most traction, and 80% to other side when both tires on the ground.

Let me explain my reasoning better. By mixed bag/compromise I mean when you look at the environment these are expected to perform in, an electrical component Is not the most reliable when its 3 feet under water. Air is only slightly better because it still relies on a compressor and solenoids. Cable is probably the best because it can be operated even if the cable breaks, they are open or locked. Limited slips are just that, limited and not really a consideration in this discussion. They are great for some light wheeling or road use but fall short when you need to have all four wheels contributing. The only way to really take advantage of LSD is to do it the way Land Rover, Mercedes and recently Toyota have done it by using the brakes individually to control traction.

When you say cable lockers are you talking about the ones from the 60 and 70 series or is someone making cable lockers? While would love a set of these the availability and cost prevents it.

Ok, it's time for Jim's "not so popular" opinion: When I began 4 wheeling in 1970 rock crawling was not a fad yet, in fact when wheeling we avoided large rocks like the plague. Eventually rock crawling became the thing, in fact normal trail wheeling no longer gets any press. Rock crawling now means one tire can be in the air most the time, and that's what has made Limited Slip Differentials very unpopular.

(1) An open diff. (no posi) is very lazy, it spins one tire only, the one that will spin the easiest, and never the other. This will not work when one tire is in the air.

(2) An Auburn Gear LSD sends 100% locking pressure to one tire (the one that has the most traction), and 80% locking pressure to the other side (when both tires are on the ground and have some degree of traction on both sides). This happens in 2WD on the highway and 4WD off road. Once one tire is in the air, it becomes the tire that will spin the easiest, so an Auburn LSD sends 100% locking pressure to the one that has the most traction, the tire on the ground.

(3) Full lockers (fully gear driven lockers) are not what we call "highway manageable" (unless they can be unlocked on the highway, ala air lockers). Everyone knows these lockers work well in off road terrain, but their problem is they are problematic on the highway. For this reason many choose the air lockers. Problem with air lockers is they provide zero highway advantage when unlocked.

For the guy who is into normal trail riding (dirt/sand/mud/snow with both tires mostly on the ground) the Auburn LSD would be my pick because:
(1) they are completely highway manageable, they unlock during highway cornering without the clunk/ratcheting/wheel hop.
(2) they work all the time, on or off road, so they have highway posi advantage as well as off road posi advantage.
(3) they provide 100% locking pressure to tire with most traction, and 80% to other side when both tires on the ground.

I agree for most LSD is the best option. Have auto lockers in my 68 and while traction is great off road don't like the road manners on pavement and steering off-road when in 4WD. I know power steering would help but by how much harder it is to steer know it would put that much more strain on all the steering components. Having a original set of Torsen diffs in a FJ25 side by side with my 68 I'll take the Torsen over the Lock-rite 99% of the time. There is also using the brakes along with the gas on open diffs. Believe starting off-road with open diffs give a person a lot better experience than staring off with a fully locked 4X4.

Has anyone had any experience with the Eaton E-locker/Torsen diff? Last time I checked they were available for the Toyota 8" diff but not the 9.5 diff. Believe the Eaton E-locker is a true locker?

I can't speak for any changes Torsen may have made in recent years, but back in the day they proved mal-desinged when miniaturized to fit inside Toyota differential housings. Torsen's are a very good design that works well in gigantic Army half track differential housings where the smallest spur gear is still larger than your fist, but when the spur gears have to be reduced in size Torsen's good design goes out the window. Problem is the base root of a gear (thickness of the meat between the inside diameter of the gear and the base of the teeth, the meat that holds the gear teeth in place) is suppose to be 1.5 time greater than the height of the gear tooth. If Torsen left the base root of the gear thicker, then the shaft the gear rides on would be too frail- - -and explode. If Torsen made the shaft the gear rides on thicker, then the base root of the gear would have to be thinner- - -and explode.

Last edited:

You have to admit, for Auburn to design something that would do EXACTLY the reverse of an open differential is genius. That is why I used them and it is nice.
Since then, on newer stuff I think Subaru has done a fluid design to try and do the same.

When you say cable lockers are you talking about the ones from the 60 and 70 series or is someone making cable lockers? While would love a set of these the availability and cost prevents it.

I agree for most LSD is the best option. Have auto lockers in my 68 and while traction is great off road don't like the road manners on pavement and steering off-road when in 4WD. I know power steering would help but by how much harder it is to steer know it would put that much more strain on all the steering components. Having a original set of Torsen diffs in a FJ25 side by side with my 68 I'll take the Torsen over the Lock-rite 99% of the time. There is also using the brakes along with the gas on open diffs. Believe starting off-road with open diffs give a person a lot better experience than staring off with a fully locked 4X4.

Has anyone had any experience with the Eaton E-locker/Torsen diff? Last time I checked they were available for the Toyota 8" diff but not the 9.5 diff. Believe the Eaton E-locker is a true locker?
Yes I was referring to the Toyota cable lockers and I am pretty sure OX makes cable lockers here but Im not sure if they make them for the 9.5 diff.

I know I am reviving an old thread! Were you ever able to get this to work? I see on Summit they make this for 9.5" Toyota now, but it only list years 98 and up..... I love the idea of one of these in my 60.

I know I am reviving an old thread! Were you ever able to get this to work? I see on Summit they make this for 9.5" Toyota now, but it only list years 98 and up..... I love the idea of one of these in my 60.

98 the spline count changed for the side gears. Guessing reason listed for 98+.

98 the spline count changed for the side gears. Guessing reason listed for 98+.

Yup, went to 32 spline. Just curious is someone found a way to make this work with customer made shafts or had one resplined etc.

I have a Detroit locker in the rear of my 40 and completely forgot it was there. It barely ever makes noise on the street, I drive it around the city on every nice day. Drive it 2 hours to the trail, get there... go to lock it and doh i dont need to worry about it! There is an arb on the front and its very convienient, but after retrofitting my firstgen 4runner with toyota E lockers front and rear (front from fj80, rear from 3rd gen 4runner) and my fzj80 with factory lockers.... the ARB front detroit rear is the best I have ever had

Has anyone tried the select a lock diffs from Auburn? I think this is the updated version of ected with lsd and full lock. I have not found much information on them and I am hoping they are not too good to be true..

Has anyone tried the select a lock diffs from Auburn? I think this is the updated version of ected with lsd and full lock. I have not found much information on them and I am hoping they are not too good to be true..

They don’t make this for a land cruiser.

They don’t make this for a land cruiser.
I found land cruiser diffs listed on their website but I cant find them for sale yet :[ I am interested in this for a 85 pickup and it is the same, listed but not for sale. I sent auburn an email and I havent heard back. There are dana models available right now on summit racing but there are only 2 so I am thinking auburn needs more time to make these diffs in bulk? I am not sure.

LC lsd/lock

Dana 35 lsd/lock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom