Pizza cutters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Could someone please explain the pizza cutter theory? They do look cool as hell but a wider tire provides a wider contact patch right? wider contact patch should equal better traction + added floatation. Look at those artic trucks they disperse there load out as much as possible to stay on top of stuff.

You either want to try and "float" on top of the surface you are riding on, or have a narrow skinny tire that can dig deep enough to hit firm ground. Or have a tire that is somewhere in between.

At least that is what i was always told growing up :)

I have wheeled with the Super Swampers in the rocks and they are terrific. Bias ply so the side walls are tough as nails against the rocks.

Could someone please explain the pizza cutter theory? They do look cool as hell but a wider tire provides a wider contact patch right? wider contact patch should equal better traction + added floatation. Look at those artic trucks they disperse there load out as much as possible to stay on top of stuff.

Depends on what type of terrain you frequent. I like a 12.50 width tire on an 8" rim for stability on off camber trails. I like to run the pressure on my TSL/SX around 12 or 13 PSI. That seems to give the best amount of flex and stability for me. On a light FJ40 I can see running the 9.50 tires, but I've also seen folks peel them right off the rims.

Tire size/type/pressures are all very subjective and what works for one might not work for another.

anyone on 36x12.5 tsl radials?

Coguy,

Which 1.5" spacer are you running? Do the 35" rub in your set-up? Have re-geared? What about MPG?

Coguy-

Last of the "questioning"- What wheels are those? MTs?

Coguy,

Which 1.5" spacer are you running? Do the 35" rub in your set-up? Have re-geared? What about MPG?

If they are 1.5", probably the spidertrax lug centric wheel spacers. Thats what i am running and they only come in 1.5" from spidertrax.

I have 34x10.50 Interco LTBs on my 80 mounted on FJC 16" offroad package wheels with 1.5" spidertrax spacers.

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

How loud are those on pavement? Are they hard to keep balanced? Do they wear fast? Etc? They seem like a good value at $183.

Coguy,

I'm running an off-brand spacer, but something exactly like the spidertrax 1.5". The tires rub on the corners of the front mudflaps when I turn-that's it. Those are 16" Mickey Thompson classic II's.

How loud are those on pavement? Are they hard to keep balanced? Do they wear fast? Etc? They seem like a good value at $183.

Sounds like a B2 bomber :) Bias ply and huge aggressive treads = very loud.

They are somewhat of a pain to mount and balance (i watched the guy mount them and he said it was the hardest tire he ever mounted) 3 of the balanced somewhat easily, one is really bad. Finally got it balanced after taking it back 2 times.

From what i have heard, people get around 30-40K miles out of them. I've had mine 2 years and maybe put 5K miles on them? They are strictly a trail set of wheels, i run 285 BFG ATs on FJC steelies for the street.

They were 125 a piece when i bought them :)

Had those on my 60 and loved them. They were Denman military tires. Pretty quiet on the road as they ride on the center strip for the most part. VERY aggressive offroad. We ran them with tubes, but I believe they have a tubeless version.

the good folks in Africa and Oz who are out there in the boonies for a living use skinny tires extensively, and I would assume not always just to save $$. Good enough for me.

Main (only?) place where I can see a skinny tire would be at a significant disadvantage for my uses is sand. (For that matter, I would like to read a bit from our friends in the Middle East about what they use for sand tire widths.)

Came across this pic and it reminded me of this thread.

Not to change the subject but does it look like the axles are about 4 inches higher than the center of the wheels. Not sure what this is called but theres a lot of extra ground clearance. :meh:

portal axles off of a military truck

Not to change the subject but does it look like the axles are about 4 inches higher than the center of the wheels. Not sure what this is called but theres a lot of extra ground clearance. :meh:

Aren't those reduction gears on the axles? i've seen them on UniMogs.

Sounds like a B2 bomber :) Bias ply and huge aggressive treads = very loud.

They are somewhat of a pain to mount and balance (i watched the guy mount them and he said it was the hardest tire he ever mounted) 3 of the balanced somewhat easily, one is really bad. Finally got it balanced after taking it back 2 times.

From what i have heard, people get around 30-40K miles out of them. I've had mine 2 years and maybe put 5K miles on them? They are strictly a trail set of wheels, i run 285 BFG ATs on FJC steelies for the street.

They were 125 a piece when i bought them :)

how do you like them on the trails? they seem like the perfect multi-terrain trail tire.

I put some 33X9.5X15 Dean Cooper Mud Terrains on my truck at 200,000. They are a Cooper shell. I drove from Wichita, KS to Wallkill, NY. Stayed there for six months and drove 120 miles at least three times a week for work. Drove it to Iowa the other day and stayed there for a bit, and just got back home to Wichita tonight. Now have 210,000 give or take. No speedo correction so a bit more than that actually. Going from 33X12.5 BFG A/T's they are much better all around on and off road. The BFG's were awesome tires, but too heavy it seemed. Way less responsive and not as smooth. Had some pic's, but my phone died halfway home... screen went out. So... I'll try to get around to some some day... :). Awesome tires though. After this, I'm going to 16" wheels and 255/85/R16's. Not sure what kind though. It'll be awhile though. These wear like steel. :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom