Pitman Arm Removal . . . . . . Simple as That ? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can also wrap the nut in a shop rag and keep it soaked in oil for a few days. Helps to remove the nut if you have no torch. Cheap China. tools will just break. MIke

Looks liker you have been to harbor freight....

I broke 2 last time I tried to get one off... Drove me nuts a neighbor picked up my impact wrench and his 30 year old steal puller took 30 seconds...

Well, here is strike 1, and strike 2

My plan was to remove the pitman arm while the steering box was still bolted to the frame, since I do not have a decent bench vise. Obviuosly I am going to have to try something different, and get the steering box on my bench for some PB soaking. Plus I am worried that some of the tension involved with these forces is being transmitted to the drag link, and could possibly bend it.

Looks like I need to chase down the Snap-on truck for the bell shaped puller.

To remove the drag link from the bottom of the pitman arm, do I locate the pitman arm as far to the rear of the drang link as possible? Seems like it should just pop out with little force. Does that seem right?

probably should start a new thread, but ready to re-stall the pitman arm. I see a line on the pitman arm, but how does one re-install the arm such that the steering travel is centered?

no need to re-explain, probably been explained in past posts in the forum. just point me to a good link.

are there any alignment marks on the steering box shafts ?

Align the little >< marks on the shaft and pitman arm

What surface are the >< marks on ?

In the photo you can just barely see a line at 2:00 and 8:00.

This is the only mark i can see on the face of the arm. What surface should I look for one of the >< ?

Other than some burrs from removing the Arm, not sure I see any tool marks on the shaft
pitman.JPG
pitman 2.JPG

Steve, there are no arrows. There is a line across the end of the shaft coming out of the box. Line the marks on your arm up with the lines on the end of the shaft.

Mark...

No, the draglink won't just pop out. You need to remove the cotter pin, unscrew the end (that's the tricky part), and remove the springs and cups from the inside as you remove it. You'll jack up your ball on the pitman arm, or damage the drag link if you try to force it off.
Not so. I took the pin out. Removed the nut. Gave the pitman arm a few whacks and it fell off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom