Pitman arm loose. Can't torque to spec (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Title should be "pitman arm nut loose" :) While checking stuff out on the rig for a trip in a few days I looked at the pitman arm bolt and looked like there was a gap between the nut and washer. Well as soon as I out the torque wrench on it and was tightening at first turn lt just had not even 10lbs of torque to it. I continued to tighten and get it to 130ft lbs. but it was so tight I couldn't get to that rate. Anyone know if this is okay or could the sector shaft be bad somehow? I never checked that nut in the 3 years I've had it but it (pitman arm) wasn't loose to the touch. Can't believe it was that loose. Any issues not being able to torque to spec? It's def tight now.

What do you mean by "I continued to tighten and get it to 130ft lbs. but it was so tight I couldn't get to that rate"? How can it be too tight?

It is like it bottomed out. But my wrench didn't click.

Pittman arms are not exactly known to fall off

Yeh i figured it wasn't but Not being able to torque it to spec was what im worried about. I'll jus check it every other 6 months :)

It is like it bottomed out. But my wrench didn't click.

Just keep turning the torque wrench. If it has not clicked then it is not tight enough. It takes Adair amount of work to get there. LCAs take 130 and they are hard to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom