pipe fawk (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just wanted to let you know, in case you didn't already, that frozen bursting pipes really, really suck. Really suck. :mad: :mad: :( :(

This happened to my folks three year old house a few days ago. I had to crawl under the house to find the leak...when I found it I couldn't get to it. I cut the pipe about 12 feet back, glued on a cap, and turned the water back on. Plumber gets to fix two spots now...but now the folks don't have to stay at my place ;)

The main water line to my house has broken twice. The idiot that built the house 25 years ago planted a walnut tree on top of it and the roots finally crushed it. Two years after I fixed that, one of the brass valves I put in started leaking so I had to dig it all up again...cheap ass chinese valves...

Mike .... you have totally got my sympathies !! Fricken , frackin pipes ! My first house was not the greatest , but the pipes burst twice the week before my wife and I were scheduled to fly to Mexico ... course that fawkin house flooded many , many times a year anyway . Black mold became a way of life ...

I figure you probably have a pretty nice shack , so my thoughts will be with you . I hope you can work thru it without too much repair $$ etc .

Keep us all posted .

T/V

Wow Junk, everything you touch breaks!! I was going to invite you to come out and run the Rubicon with us next summer but now...

It almost never freezes here, but about 10 years ago it did. One of my friends was in Mexico and his house was empty and unheated. His pipes ran through the attic space and when the pipes broke it basically destroyed everything in his house since no one noticed for almost a week. I hope everything is ok and not too much damage was done. That really sucks.

I had this happen on a pipe from the main to the sprinkler syste. Turns out I didn't blow the sprinkler line inside the house out and it was leaning against concrete. I make sure to do that now.

Happened another time to a silcock (outside garden house spigot). Nothing was connected and it was off. I now cover those with the $1 covers from the hardware store.

Both times I had to tear doen drywall to find and fix the pipe. It sucks man!

Good Luck!

Ken

I've been saving this picture for just this post. Not my garage, but somewhere in the cold Northeast.....

At least they belong to AAA to help get them out of car trouble

I feel for ya :)

wanna know how white trash I am? 3 years ago when I took down all the trees at my place, we were pulling the last stump(was so big it wouldn't fit in the dump truck and the escavator couldn't lift it) but we busted(and pulled it out) the main line from my well to the house, well it was under the pavement, so we dug it up just enough to get to the brake, welded it up and burried it, didn't want to tear up anymore pavment trying to find the end of it. So whats a guy to do? hell I ran a garden hose from the well tank to an outdside fawcet.........heck the presure was better than before. Well its been 3 years and I still aint fixed it right.....really I will someday) So when ever it gets cold I run the tap in the house, it's yet to freeze up(cept once when I forgot to run tap) was 20 deg for a week......still had water. Yep....white trash I be :flipoff2:

Folks were gone for a week when it was 20deg, seems like the pipe in the open ditch froze(we all forgot about it), then blew when it got warm, well the water filled the ditch, then went into the new pipes for the power at the new house(which is down hill) So, the elevator room(my god there is alot of crap in there, including a converter to 3 phase) and new electical panels got soaked, no damage but damn the water was pouring out of the pipe......

thats my story.

Holly ice cubes Dave :eek:

That is a helluva pic.

How in the world would you ever thaw that mess out? :-\

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=3;threadid=9956;start=msg88453#msg88453 date=1073783641]
How in the world would you ever thaw that mess out? :-\
[/quote]

One degree at a time...... :p

If I can have it, I'll take credit for that 911-cicle :D

But geeze louise, we're in a cold spell here in Jersey. I can sympathize with Junk...I'm keeping a bulb burning on my well tank manifold that sits in my unheated garage ... and praying that it doesn't freeze yet again. Even if you do your own plumbing, it's a real pain to have to deal with all that.

Tom

Got everything fixed for now. Shees. Had to trash a few walls (and I hate doing sheetrock), move some sheet around. Good thing that I had plenty of pipe and adapters (good enough for now {aka pimpish ;)}) from when I put in the new air compressor this summer. Happened to have plenty of mapp on hand and all the crap I needed except for patience. They seemed to be all out of patience at the store too, go figure ::). Anyway, nothing important ruined except for another day. Got plenty of chance to practice my cursing though, cause some of you know I need all the practice I can get :flipoff2:.

Anyway, thanks for the vent.

That's what I get for moving to this town. A frickin house we can't afford, great school (which my son won't even be in for another 4 years) and more frickin problems than with my beater pos truck.

Fawk. TX is looking better all the time.

Youch. Never had a pipe burst, but I had a contractor cut a hole in my roof and not seal it up before one of the worst downpours I've ever seen. By the time I emergency patched it (during mentioned storm), every ceiling on the top floor was ruined and we have over a foot of water in the basement. Needless to say, the contractor didn't get paid, and he was almost done with the job, too. He even agreed he was a moron.

Glad it's all patched for now, Junk, but now tomorrow's shot, too, huh? I guess your experience gives "IH8MUD" a whole new meaning, but at least you don't have to do the ceiling, right? :p

Nah, tomorrow will be fine. I need to get out and get some sheetrock now, but not going out tomorrow to get it. Will wait a few days. Who knows, may decide to change a few more things before I'm done. I may just move all those pipes to some place better, but that means another wall may be history soon.

Fawk it. Maybe I'll just rip out most of the walls and have the first studio house in my town. :eek: :flipoff2:

That really sucks. I almost had to wear a sweatshirt outside today, but the sunshine brought the temp up to 60 degrees here in the deep south texas:)
Jesse

3 basement floods in 2 years while we lived in Wyoming. Huge fully finished basement. Once was a frozen pipe upstairs and the other 2 times was rising water. Seems the PO didn't tell us the house was built in an underground stream. Put a sump pump in the basement after the first flood, then lightning took it out resulting in the 2nd flood. Can't remember what caused the 3rd flood... maybe an overworked sump pump.

The insurance company hated us.

-B-

Just a warning, unless the damage is gonna cost ALOT to fix, don't claim in on your homeowners insurance, they might not(but they might) cancell your policy but the next person that buys your house may very well not be able to get home owners insurance............and that will kill the sale. We have been running into this for the last year or so, there is a data base all the insurance compaies share and many will not insure a home that has has water damage. This is partial due to the whole toxic mold issue I beleive.......which IMOP blown WAY out of perportian(sp)

John H

Where is all that global warming now...

Don't seal that wall up just yet, Junkie--gonna be down around zero again by Friday morning :mad:

P.S. This morning, I saw a lot of water coming out the front of my neighbor's house. She wasn't answering the phone or the door, so I called the fire department (they handle emergency public water issues--go figure!). Well, the fire engines and excitement must have finally woken her ass up, because after ten minutes of pounding on the door she finally came down and turned off the water supply in her basement. We had all figured her frozen to death by then (she's a bit wacky and NEVER leaves the house).

Jesse - yeah, I remember when I lived in Coppell and told folks up here about how I was swimming up til Thanksgiving in the heated pool. Don't miss that 107 deg temp though. :flipoff2:

Pimp - thanks dude. I never claim anything. Last time I did I ended up getting the big fawk, so I'll keep the claiming for when it's important. This wasn't too bad. I found it quick enough.

Jman - I know. Hopefully it gets real cold though. Went ice climbing today and most of it was real rotten ice. Kind of sucks when you're out by yourself and the piece your own is about to come off. :eek: Guess I should not have had that last oreo. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom