Pictures or info about your water solutions for travel in the 200? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Showers were mentioned........keep in mind that showers don't have to use fancy potable water. Get a 5 gallon sun shower bag, fill it with water from a lake/stream/river, hang it in the sun for a while, and use it in a portable pop-up enclosure (which is also nice for a portable potty arrangement). The whole set up takes up almost no space and is extremely light weight and those warm showers feel good.

A second idea is that I've found using several smaller containers stashed in various places is much more packable than trying to keep all the water in one place. So, when camping and traveling to places that have no water, I just get some standard 2.5 gallon jugs of water from the grocery store and scatter them in places they fit in the load (upright of course). I get one per day to supply 2 people and a dog with all needed water for drinking/cooking/cleaning. I've never had one leak, but I always check to make sure they are not damaged to start. Next food resupply, I get new jugs and toss/recycle the used jugs.
We have one of the simple bag style sun showers. I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder!

We have one of the simple bag style sun showers. I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder!
That's what I do as well. Tie the bag to the side of the Front Runner rack and it's warm enough for a quick shower at end of day. Also use swing outs on bumper to carry fuel and water in 3x5 gallon configuration. Works well. Have some spillage with water sloshing nothing major. During winter make sure to leave room for expansion during freeze and I usually only bleed fuel tanks as we gain altitude. Note* stand to the side when you do that...lol...ask me how I know.

I do have a LRA tank, so that limits options in that space.

I figure about a gallon per person per day-ish.

We weren't in love with the small trailer we had, and don't really like much that's out there, so thought we'd try it without a camper for a season and see how it goes. We've got some ideas for a custom build, but the small shops that do that have a huge wait time since everyone and their brother wanted to buy a camper during the pandemic.

We have been happy with our Jeep Extreme Camper. They are rare but not expensive. Made by Livn Lite for Jeep.
Couple hub adapters to match the 34" LC200 wheels and is capable to match 37".

25 gallon pressurized drinkable water, (I added this)
If you added that 3 x 5 gallon carrier you would be at 40 gallon.

You can stand up in it, Sleeps 3 inside or 3 in and 2 outside room tent, has a/c (24 hours or 3 x 8 hours) and heat. Fully skid plated, can go anywhere the lc200 goes, 20 gallon water and water heater tent shower (I added that also).

I keep wanting to sell it . but sweetie says no-way.

s-jeep-camper-01.jpg

s-jeep-camper-02.jpg

s-jeep-camper-03.jpg

Last edited:
We have been happy with our Jeep Extreme Camper. They are rare but not expensive. Made by Livn Lite for Jeep.

You can stand up in it, Sleeps 3 inside or 3 in and 2 outside room tent, has a/c (24 hours or 3 x 8 hours) and heat. Fully skid plated, can go anywhere the lc200 goes, 20 gallon water and water heater tent shower (I added that also).

View attachment 2936074

View attachment 2936075

View attachment 2936076

That's really cool! Let me know if you decide to sell.

View attachment 2936074

View attachment 2936075

View attachment 2936076

I have a Livin Lite hard side and know they are well made. Bummer they were bought out by Thor and discontinued. I’d love to have one of those Jeep Extreme Campers too. PM me your :princess: number and I’ll see what I can do about talking her out of it :bounce:

I like the idea of having a basecamp on trips where you aren't relocating daily. We had a NoBo 10.6, and it had a lot going for it. I like the small size and the outdoor cooking setup with the 270 awning and rooftop tent made it pretty useful. The interior space was just big enough for two to sleep but not enough height to stand up. The bed sat directly on the floor. While it would have been awesome when I was 20, it wasn't ideal at 2.5x that. There's something to be said for being able to get dressed standing up. We added an annex/enclosure room under the rooftop tent for changing which was a nice addition. With the soft sided tent, room, awning, etc, it was ok for a long weekend or week, but not something you'd want to set up and tear down every day. I'd like to be a bit more mobile.

I'd like something like the TetonX Hybrid, which is very similar in concept, but slightly different execution. I've got to say that the slide out tray outdoor kitchens are some of our favorite features of these particular units.

1645800076572.png
1645803085030.png
1645800104550.png

Unfortunately, they have a 24 month lead time. "The popularity and demand for the Hybrid has quickly grown beyond anything we could imagine. We are currently quoting at least 24 months for new deposits holders."

Last edited:
I like the idea of having a basecamp on trips where you aren't relocating daily. We had a NoBo 10.6, and it had a lot going for it. I like the small size and the outdoor coking setup with the 270 awning and rooftop tent made it pretty useful. The interior space was just big enough for two to sleep but not enough height to stand up. The bed sat directly on the floor. While it would have been awesome when I was 20, it wasn't ideal at 2.5x that. There's something to be said for being able to get dressed standing up. We added an annex/enclosure room under the rooftop tent for changing which was a nice addition. With the soft sided tent, room, awning, etc, it was ok for a long weekend or week, but not something you'd want to set up and tear down every day. I'd like to be a bit more mobile.

I'd like something like the TetonX Hybrid, which is very similar in concept, but slightly different execution. I've got to say that the slide out tray outdoor kitchens are some of our favorite features of these particular units.

View attachment 2936208View attachment 2936209

Unfortunately, they have a 24 month lead time. "The popularity and demand for the Hybrid has quickly grown beyond anything we could imagine. We are currently quoting at least 24 months for new deposits holders."

When it comes to campers, buy used if you can find one and have it shipped across the country. My $0.02 anyway. Granted I was not looking for something designed for overlanding, but in the travel trailer space when I bought a few years ago they would have ~50% depreciation in 2 or 3 years but be basically brand new. I paid $21.5k for my 3 year old Lance when they were selling for $38-42k new. You'd be surprised (or maybe not surprised) at how many people buy them, use them once or twice, and then sell them after a season or two because they're just paying to store it.

When it comes to campers, buy used if you can find one and have it shipped across the country. My $0.02 anyway. Granted I was not looking for something designed for overlanding, but in the travel trailer space when I bought a few years ago they would have ~50% depreciation in 2 or 3 years but be basically brand new. I paid $21.5k for my 3 year old Lance when they were selling for $38-42k new. You'd be surprised (or maybe not surprised) at how many people buy them, use them once or twice, and then sell them after a season or two because they're just paying to store it.
Thanks for the perspective. I agree 100% with you. We've got pretty specific requirements that make that harder. I've got online searches looking for me and I poke around various sites regularly. I'm hoping some percentage of the people that bought during the pandemic will have the aha moment that camping was a nice fantasy but not for them and I can benefit from that. I mean, all of the massive volume of campers needs to go somewhere, right? Until then, we are vehicle camping... And I reached out to Cole and added a jerry can swing out to my order, will pick up two more scepter cans, will bring the cheap solar shower, and will buy a $15 pump on amazon and keep a gravity fed backup plan.

I've run that setup last few years, a minimum of 45 days/nights a year and although it can get goofy getting my 6' 4" frame in and out, I've enjoyed it. I'm building an overlanding base camp trailer for next year...I hope...just because I need something I can leave at my deer lease.

IMG-20201120-WA0005.jpeg

IMG-20201120-WA0007.jpeg

Thanks for the perspective. I agree 100% with you. We've got pretty specific requirements that make that harder. I've got online searches looking for me and I poke around various sites regularly. I'm hoping some percentage of the people that bought during the pandemic will have the aha moment that camping was a nice fantasy but not for them and I can benefit from that. I mean, all of the massive volume of campers needs to go somewhere, right? Until then, we are vehicle camping... And I reached out to Cole and added a jerry can swing out to my order, will pick up two more scepter cans, will bring the cheap solar shower, and will buy a $15 pump on amazon and keep a gravity fed backup plan.

This is what I'm counting on as well. A year or two from now, the used camper market will probably be flooded with like-new campers all purchased during the pandemic. Should be a pretty great buyer's market.

I had pretty specific requirements too (triple bunks for the kids, dinette slide, walk around master bed, no more than 25' total and 6500# GVWR, etc). There were a total of 6 or 7 models ever manufactured that were what I wanted. When I limited myself to something made within the last ~5 years there were 3 options. Took me several months to find what I wanted in the price range I could manage. Like buying an LC, just had to be patient.

Vehicle camping is nice and we do it sometimes. But the basecamp is also great when you're going for a longer period of time too. Last year we did 5 weeks in the trailer, but also we did an overnight in tents in Moab. I think good call on the swingout and jerries. In some ways with an overland build you have to weigh how much you'll use it in the cost. If I was on the road for multiple weeks at a time having a water tank that can be heated by the engine would be swell, but if most trips are a few days and I can skip a shower in there a coleman stove and a 6 quart pot might just do the trick ;)

One other point I’ll throw in: I like to camp in the winter, depending on how you plan to setup and how long you stay you may have to deal with water containers freezing. Beyond the obvious that you should leave space for expansion, storing inside has helped to further insulate a water container so it doesn’t freeze as quickly. But I have wondered about using a metal container or something that can be “thawed” fire side. This is something the plastic isn’t great for…

For the shower I put one of those Camp Chef propane water heaters in a pelican case, with a shower head n hose attached to it. When we are going to need it we bring it and when not we don't.

baffle balls could be a solution to prevent sloshing

I’m late to the game, but my usual setup with my standard Dissent swing out is to put the scepter on the inside closer to the body and with a lower cog. This works well and you can add a 4 gallon rotopak as well, so essentially 9 gallons. Add a gravity fed, platypus water filter to your setup and you can usually travel in perpetuity. We usually carry a collapsible bladder and fill it when we are out running trails and pass a good water source. Then back at camp we can fill the gravity filter as needed.

F8A89A50-6408-46EA-8A3B-95E7AA911671.jpeg

And I have a similar setup as @TeCKis300 and it works great.

52575A3C-B27F-4392-84FE-D5D73ED9FF4F.jpeg

This is the setup I use and it works great. It is a great use of your REI member discount coming up if you are a member:

Closing the loop, I added a jerry can swingout to my dissent bumper order, and picked up several Sceptre cans. I grabbed a mix of 3 water (MWC) and 1 fuel (MFC). The fuel cans are at leat 2x the price of the water cans, which is wierd. I figure I can decide which configuration makes most sense based on the trip. In some cases extra fuel will be a priority. While I have a LRA tank, it is the 12.5 gal baby tank, so having an extra 5 gallons on board may make all the difference (either for me, or someone else that is in need). I have one trip that is supposed to be no fuel for 500 miles through northern Quebec, so the fuel can may be a necessity there.

Thanks everyone.

You can get the LCI cans for much less than the Scepter cans. In my experience, they do leak a little if the can is full, under pressure, and oriented such that the water level is above the cap. No problems at all if upright in a jerry can holder.

EDIT: to clarify, I have only had a very slow drip leak from the smallest opening/cap, never a leak from the two larger openings.

Last edited:
Thanks, @sdnative! That's a huge difference - I got the MWCs for $49 shipped and the MFC for $100 plus shipping. I guess at least I have them in hand now, which is saying something in these days of supply chain disruptions and world events. I was actually wondering if militaries ramping up might start to put a crimp on the consumer supply chain for these military cans, so I grabbed them now in an abundance of caution.

I worked up this light duty running water solution using the Dometic water pump, though I think any similar pump would do. I like the magnet built-in on the dometic - it makes it easy to place anywhere and still have some sturdiness. This has worked great for small tasks like filling up water bottles, light cleaning and the most important task - filling the espresso maker with water on the side of the trail when I need a fix. The tank I am using is the dometic go 11l, though any would do . I keep it strapped down behind the fridge (not seen in the video). So far so good, though I am considering upgrading this with a larger tank, line and 12 volt water pump. When I need more water for longer term trips, I use a combination of jerrys and rotopax, but I also carry three different forms of water filtration and often find this the most useful if I am near water sources. I can fill a large gravity bladder and let it fill up tanks while I'm at camp. For even longer term, we are usually hauling the Conqueror which has 40 gallons in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom