Pictures or info about your water solutions for travel in the 200?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
We're planning a bunch of camping trips this year, and we are shifting from small offroad trailer (where we had onboard water and could haul tons of extra junk) to just vehicle based travel in the 200. With the more limited space, and needing room for 3 (rearely but possibly 4) people, we're trying to learn from others as we prepare. I've done a bunch of mud searching/googling and reading, but want to tap the 200 collective since I know a lot of you have solutions for these things.

My current plan is a scepter water can for hauling 20 liters/5 gal of water. Side note: I have a LRA taking up space under the vehicle where some of the aftermarket tanks would mount. Roof rack space is minimal, likely not enough room for rotopax.

Questions:
- Where to stow it? I've got a roof rack on order, but we also have an XL roof tent that takes up most of the roof length, so that's probably out. Plus extra weight up high isn't ideal. Cargo drawers in the back, 43qt fridge (soon to be) on a tilt and slide. 4x plastic boxes with gear on the other side of the cargo bay. When traveling with 3 people, maybe on the floor behind the driver? When traveling with 4??? Wonder if it'll fit beside the fridge to the outside. I expect a bumper with Swingout in early April - the order hasn't been built yet, so I could potentially add a second swingout with a jerry can holder or platform.
- Do we want more than the pour spout for dispensing? I see gravity fed nozzles, hand pumps, pressurized caps, siphon setups, etc.
- Do we want a way to get hot water? Plan A is to boil water on the stove for cleaning/washing. I wonder if there is a better way to do it. The big constraint is space. A Joolca or similar setup seems awesome, but comes at a big space penalty. Any more compact solutions for hot water for showers and dishes?

Thanks in advance for advice and pictures!

Seems like the best solutions I've seen involve removing the seat behind the driver in the 2nd row. But if that's not an option, maybe something like this nestled behind the 2nd row? 13 Gallons It would sit pretty high since it has to be on top of drawers. the 7.5"x40" footprint might take up too much space on top of your drawers for your other things to fit.

front-runner-slanted-water-tank-WTAN008-8.jpg

They have some other sizes as well including a 10gallon 50"x2.6" tank.

I’d do a dual swingouts bumper. In fact that’s my plan. Depending on who builds it you could easily have room for 3 jerry cans (of water), possibly additional space for a rotopax of fuel as well (behind the jerry can support or behind the tire)

If you don’t do a bumper @TeCKis300 has a nice hitch-mounted swing out that might work for you if you’re not trying to overland camp. If I needed to carry a lot of water that would be my recommendation, but we have a family of 5 and will easily use 5 gallons per day for drinking, dishes, etc… and showers will use even more.

I’m not a fan of water in the cabin because of leaks, plus if you do elevation changes you’ll have to burp it unless it’s vented. For a short term use (until you get a bumper) I’d get a couple 5 gal plastic scepter water jugs and try to fit then between the fridge and the rear window and just bungee in place

I’ve looked at this Ironman tank a couple times. I’d really like to get an external tank, but the only realistic solution after putting in the sub fuel tank seems to be swingarm mounted and I got a single swing bumper years ago.

Ironman and Frontrunner's catalogs seem to overlap heavily, and Ironman is almost half the price, which is my favorite "feature."

I’d do a dual swingouts bumper. In fact that’s my plan. Depending on who builds it you could easily have room for 3 jerry cans (of water), possibly additional space for a rotopax of fuel as well (behind the jerry can support or behind the tire)

If you don’t do a bumper @TeCKis300 has a nice hitch-mounted swing out that might work for you if you’re not trying to overland camp. If I needed to carry a lot of water that would be my recommendation, but we have a family of 5 and will easily use 5 gallons per day for drinking, dishes, etc… and showers will use even more.

I’m not a fan of water in the cabin because of leaks, plus if you do elevation changes you’ll have to burp it unless it’s vented. For a short term use (until you get a bumper) I’d get a couple 5 gal plastic scepter water jugs and try to fit then between the fridge and the rear window and just bungee in place
Thanks. My Dissent rear bumper is in the queue, last time I traded emails, it sounded like it will be here before the first trip in April. I put a deposit down in December, but understand that I get to finalize the order once my number comes up in the queue. So, I think I still have time to add the second swingout with jerry can holder. My build is accelerating at a breakneck $$$ pace that I don't love...

Seems like the best solutions I've seen involve removing the seat behind the driver in the 2nd row. But if that's not an option, maybe something like this nestled behind the 2nd row? 13 Gallons It would sit pretty high since it has to be on top of drawers. the 7.5"x40" footprint might take up too much space on top of your drawers for your other things to fit.

front-runner-slanted-water-tank-WTAN008-8.jpg

They have some other sizes as well including a 10gallon 50"x2.6" tank.

Thanks. Definitely a good solution, but I have two traveling companions for some of the trips (sometimes three passengers), so I can't give up that space behind the front row seats. I agree with your assessment that it would take up too much space on top of the drawers, with everything else I need to carry.

Thanks. My Dissent rear bumper is in the queue, last time I traded emails, it sounded like it will be here before the first trip in April. I put a deposit down in December, but understand that I get to finalize the order once my number comes up in the queue. So, I think I still have time to add the second swingout with jerry can holder. My build is accelerating at a breakneck $$$ pace that I don't love...
15 gallons on the swing out is hard to beat. And agree with the other poster of having it outside the vehicle is ideal.

In terms of dispensing, this is a vendor that sells some solutions: Scepter MWC Accessories - https://jagmte.com/collections/scepter-mwc-accessories

And there seem to be DIY push/pull pump options and some people who use battery powered pumps (originally designed for a carboy water jug). And people who DIY add a spigot and schrader valve (bunch of youtube videos on these) for pressurized spraying.

As mentioned by @linuxgod , here's my homebrewed solution for 2x Scepter jugs (2x 5 gallons = 10 total) on a rear hitch carrier. Like others, I didn't like keeping water in the vehicle for the same reasons. Off-roading, the water sloshing is also a minor irritant.

As for a dispensing solution, I landed on using a USB rechargeable 5 gallon jug pump. Very minor adapting to fit the Scepter fill neck. Cut the lower ring of the pump so it can sit deeper in the Scepter snout. It's a perfect pressure fit. A single charge will easily last 40-60 gallons or about a month.

The one I used is no longer available but there's many like it and the critical dimension is the .7"

1645729071699.png

1645728752993.png

Amazon product

Last edited:
May not work for your needs but roof top tanks are popular. They are low profile. I have seen DIY tanks that are just gravity feed.

No idea what it looks like for importing these (or even if they fit US spec 200's) but this seems like a very interesting option. Not a huge tank but gets you 8 gallons.

.....and an install video I came across

I have a Dobinson swing out but these seem like pretty good option if your bumper isn’t installed yet.I’ve had really good luck with all my Ironman stuff.

Sounds like I'm in the minority here, but I prefer to carry water inside the vehicle, as low or to the center as possible. I've used the basic Reliant 7-gallon blue containers for years without leaking issues. Not very overland-y but simple and portable at camp. I usually travel with one or two containers strapped in the rear cargo area (traveling with my family of four). With three people I would definitely look for a solution that allows you to transport water on the floor behind the drivers seat.

Another space-saving idea is to consider whether you can eliminate the 4x plastic gear bins and use soft-sided duffels instead. I've moved away from bins in favor of dedicated bags for specific categories of gear/supplies. I've found that this still keeps us organized while freeing up a lot more space, and allowing for more flexible packing of the cargo area.

As for hot water...that's a whole other rabbit hole, but IMO the space to benefit ratio doesn't work out.

Best place for water or any significant weight is between the axles as low as possible.
Most convenient IMO is on a rear bumper swingout. Just be aware of the effects of hanging 100-150lbs that far behind the rear axle (in additional to the weight of the bumper). The front will feel more floaty from the cantilever effect.

I like the idea of a couple of water bladders / dromedary bags in the second row floor, but always worry about them leaking or bursting. I have a few old swiss army surplus bags and they have been solid and leak free, but still.

I carry a couple scepter water cans in front of the fridge on top of my ARB drawer. Just not very convenient for accessing the water.

No idea what it looks like for importing these (or even if they fit US spec 200's) but this seems like a very interesting option. Not a huge tank but gets you 8 gallons.

.....and an install video I came across

Cool product, but there's a whole lotta stuff behind there on the US models. We only get the VX-R with the rear AC bits back there.

Showers were mentioned........keep in mind that showers don't have to use fancy potable water. Get a 5 gallon sun shower bag, fill it with water from a lake/stream/river, hang it in the sun for a while, and use it in a portable pop-up enclosure (which is also nice for a portable potty arrangement). The whole set up takes up almost no space and is extremely light weight and those warm showers feel good.

A second idea is that I've found using several smaller containers stashed in various places is much more packable than trying to keep all the water in one place. So, when camping and traveling to places that have no water, I just get some standard 2.5 gallon jugs of water from the grocery store and scatter them in places they fit in the load (upright of course). I get one per day to supply 2 people and a dog with all needed water for drinking/cooking/cleaning. I've never had one leak, but I always check to make sure they are not damaged to start. Next food resupply, I get new jugs and toss/recycle the used jugs.

Why get rid of the trailer? I'm curious as we do the trailer and like the ability to set up camp and then venture from camp with out pulling it down.

What are you water needs in gallons?

I've seen the rear bumpers carry 15 gallon in 3 x 5 gallon can..

That tank mid ship on the 2nd row seems the best balanced especially if you want pressurized pure clean water. Those bladders are good also but they are in AU, and the price is much higher.

If you don't have a LRA tank then there is a road ranger tank that splits water and fuel.

Why get rid of the trailer? I'm curious as we do the trailer and like the ability to set up camp and then venture from camp with out pulling it down.

What are you water needs in gallons?

I've seen the rear bumpers carry 15 gallon in 3 x 5 gallon can..

That tank mid ship on the 2nd row seems the best balanced especially if you want pressurized pure clean water. Those bladders are good also but they are in AU, and the price is much higher.

If you don't have a LRA tank then there is a road ranger tank that splits water and fuel.
I do have a LRA tank, so that limits options in that space.

I figure about a gallon per person per day-ish.

We weren't in love with the small trailer we had, and don't really like much that's out there, so thought we'd try it without a camper for a season and see how it goes. We've got some ideas for a custom build, but the small shops that do that have a huge wait time since everyone and their brother wanted to buy a camper during the pandemic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom