Events/Trails Pics of our 80 on Rubicon Trail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We had a successful first outing with our modified fj80 on The Rubicon Trail. Shane ran the whole thing from Loon Lake to Tahoe without being strapped, towed or winched. Our 80 did take a slight beating (fender dents, rock slider dents, bent rear control arms). But overall, our hand built hoopty armor worked great! The dents we did get, are really unavoidable in an 80 (running the Rubicon Trail in an fj80 is like forcing a square peg in a round hole!) Here is a youtube video of Shane aproaching Rubicon Springs: ShaneBeforeRubiconSprings - YouTube

My friend Chris in his 2000 Cherokee (6"lift, 32" tires,lockers, stock gears) had no problems, and in fact towed the yj most of the time. But Tom's YJ (2"lift, 31" street tires, no lockers, manual trans, stock gears) got stuck over 50 times, and let me tell you, that made for a long freakin trip! Not only did Tom and his son get stuck at every obstacle, but they were very little help getting un-stuck. Chris in the Cherokee stacked rocks, towed them and spotted them 80% of the time and Shane and I did the other 20%. That means Tom and his son really did nothing but rely on others to get them unstuck! They slowed us so bad that we were the group holding up a huge line of traffic at every turn. Tom's YJ got strapped, pulled, jerked and slammed against every rock and ended up a real wreck (dents all over, bent frame, broke shocks, broke springs, bent bumper, trashed exhaust, etc).

I'm so proud of my grandson Shane, he drove like a pro through every obstacle (and it was his first time on a real 4X4 trail!) Here are some pics of the trip.

The first pic is me starting to stack rocks, while Tom is bird watching I guess.

The next one is the green bridge and the last one is camp at Rubicon Springs. L.B.
Rubiconlarry and tom.jpg
RubiconBridge.jpg
camp.jpg

Here are some of the scars! L.B.
rfender.jpg
lrearfenderdent.jpg
bentrockrail.jpg

I will upload more youtube videos tomorow. L.B.
us in the rear2.jpg
Wentworthsign.jpg
usinback.jpg

Tom using bailing wire to keep his tailpipe on at the overlook.
uprocks.jpg
overlook.jpg
rearfenderdent.jpg

i dislike going with folks that have no recovery gear, or are too lazy to get out of their car and get THEIR car unstuck. VERY ANNOYING!

I love that trail. I ran it in my long armed and locked XJ on 35's a couple years ago. The XJ just walked right through it with zero uses of the winch or straps. I can't wait to get my 80 on it and see how it does. I will also have lockers and 35's and am very curiuos to see how the two rigs compare. Glad you made it through and had a good time.

Great job! Glad you made it through unscathed. Im not suprised at all to hear about your buddies jeep... and his attitude. I would have just left his stuck jeep on the trail after 1/2 a mile and told him he'd be better off just driving home. I cant tolerate people who buy a 'jeep' and then think they can go conquer the rubicon. I have had to stack rocks on that trail, in July... and it is no fun at all. You are a much stronger man than I :)

Your grandson showed some real talent... im sure now he'll be begging you to go back every weekend from now on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom