Pickup vs. 100 series? (2 Viewers)

Full size pickup or 100 series cruiser?

• Pickup, the all around utility vehicle.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100 series you dummy.

Votes: 44 100.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Luckily they're pretty affordable these days for a second vehicle! I only paid around $6,500 for mine. My gameplan is to make the 100 a secondary/expo type vehicle in a year or 2 and daily a Ford 3/4 ton Powerstroke.

Yeah, just need to get the Minister of War and Finance on board with that. She's not quite convinced yet. In a perfect world I'd have a restored 40 and a built 100. My daily commute is 2.1 miles each way.

Yeah, just need to get the Minister of War and Finance on board with that. She's not quite convinced yet. In a perfect world I'd have a restored 40 and a built 100. My daily commute is 2.1 miles each way.

Believe me I understand that!! Lucky you, I'm about 12 mi each way! That diesel highway mileage is pretty appealing to me.

Have both a ‘02 100 with 245k and a ‘12 Tundra 2wd DC 5.7 WT with 139k. Owned both since new. I had intended to sell LC when I bought the truck, but my wife took it as her daily car for 4 years. She since upgraded to another vehicle and I decided to keep the LC as a second vehicle. I’m just reluctant to part with it.

My office is 65 miles from home; mostly interstate. I typically use the truck for the commute. Though the LC has a much more refined ride, the truck is better for the highway commute - better mpg, effortless power, and the long wheelbase keeps it tracking straight. I greatly prefer driving the LC around town though.

We have a second home and the truck has been very useful for the weekend trips and hauling stuff to / fro. That was the primary reason I had purchased the truck; I was tired of dealing with a trailer.

Aside from gas, the truck has been very inexpensive. I’ve probably spent more on the LC in the last 2 years than I have to date on the truck.

FWIW, the dog really prefers the LC.

2WD F150 has been my "Good" vehicle for a long time ( as opposed to the 1990 4runner, RIP). 4runner developed a rod knock, so I picked up an LX470.

I can fit an XL and L Rough Tough Kennel in the back, so road trips with the dogs suck so much less as opposed to having them in the back seat of the truck. Everything about the LX is more practical outside of taking the garbage or hauling firewood. It even tows more. I'm taking the back seats out for even more cargo space soon.

I have been contemplating this same question for some time. I have an 07’ Tundra DC Limited with 115k miles. We had a camper for many years so I needed the towing ability. Sold the camper a couple years back and rarely use the bed. I am thinking about getting a 100 but keeping the truck for when I need it fir truck stuff. I have driven a full size pickup for the past 20 years.

I have been contemplating this same question for some time. I have an 07’ Tundra DC Limited with 115k miles. We had a camper for many years so I needed the towing ability. Sold the camper a couple years back and rarely use the bed. I am thinking about getting a 100 but keeping the truck for when I need it fir truck stuff. I have driven a full size pickup for the past 20 years.

My plan is to buy a truck again in the next couple years and just have both. 100s are relatively affordable now so I think it’s do-able for a lot of folks.

I have all rear seats removed, put in 2 drawers about 10” tall and in front of those cubby holes fo all sorts of nicnacks. Sheets of plywood can be hauled, jus sticks out about 40% of but have done it many times. Removing both seats open it up for a lot of options (your bed if ya like). We’re down to 2 people so we carry a RTT most of the year. We bought or 100 about 7 years ago, hope it goes forever for us.

Home depot this morning. 10 foot boards. I don't need no damn truck.

Funny enough the guy across the parking aisle from me watched this go down from his super duty. He laighed when I celebrated as the hatch closed with a 1/2 inch to spare
20180319_084305.jpg

2WD F150 has been my "Good" vehicle for a long time ( as opposed to the 1990 4runner, RIP). 4runner developed a rod knock, so I picked up an LX470.

I can fit an XL and L Rough Tough Kennel in the back, so road trips with the dogs suck so much less as opposed to having them in the back seat of the truck. Everything about the LX is more practical outside of taking the garbage or hauling firewood. It even tows more. I'm taking the back seats out for even more cargo space soon.

You can fit those crates in the back of your LX, or bed of your F150? We have two dogs and trying to figure out how much space there will be for crates in the back of a 100, maybe with KISS drawers. Probably two intermediates or an intermediate and L Ruff Tough.

Last edited:
My plan is to buy a truck again in the next couple years and just have both. 100s are relatively affordable now so I think it’s do-able for a lot of folks.
same here. The first gen tundras are shockingly cheap now, especially the extended cabs, and I see clean old man trucks on craigslist all the time with decent mileage and condition for under $6k.

Last edited:
You can fit those crates in the back of your LX, or bed of your F150? We have two dogs and trying to figure out how much space there will be for crates in the back of a 100, maybe with KISS drawers. Probably two intermediates or an intermediate and L Ruff Tough.

Back of the LX470. The XL RTK has to go in sideways unless you fold down the back seat. I don't haul people around, so I'm just going to remove the rear seat completely. According to the measurements I took, I'm fairly certain I could fit two XL RKT's side by side.

I actually checked the measurements with KISS drawers, and it looks like they're about an inch too tall to fit the XL RTK, unfortunately.

Both crates fit in the back of my F150, but I didn't make the dogs ride in the bed while driving. I had them sitting in the back seat. Being crated in the LX is much more secure.

Last edited:
I have a 2017 Tacoma and my Land Cruiser. The Tacoma makes my day to day hauling easier. I help with the local high school mt bike team and usually have 4 or 5 bikes and muddy kids to haul back and forth to the trail head. The truck makes this really easy. Also better for hauling steel and for trips to the dump and I can bring the dog and not worry about the seats.

All of this could be done in the Land Cruiser with a roof rack, bike rack and trailer. If I were forced to cut back I would sell the Tacoma and keep the Cruiser. The Tacoma's wheel base isn't as desirable off road and the Land Cruiser is unparalleled for long trips on the highway. It's leaps and bounds ahead of the Tacoma.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom