Pickup vs. 100 series? (1 Viewer)

Full size pickup or 100 series cruiser?

• Pickup, the all around utility vehicle.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100 series you dummy.

Votes: 44 100.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just sold my Silverado for my 2000 LC. The only thing I miss is the gas mileage I got compared to the LC and the ability to just throw random stuff in the bed. But after owning the cruiser I would never go back to a pickup. It's just pimpin'. On a side note the comment about the duramax outliving the LC is a broad statement. I know that the 06,07lbz can easily reach 400-500k miles. There are a few with over 1million. So stop all that silly talk. My vote is for the LC.

Wait a min, someone said a Duramax will outlast a Land Cruiser and I missed it?
Maximum life of a Durasux is 350,000 miles, that is the maximum life you will ever get from one of those boat anchors.
They are junk and a huge PIA to work on.

I have a 2011 Double Cab Tacoma with 85k miles, and I recently bought a 2000 Land Cruiser with 312k Miles. I hardly drive the truck anymore, and am even considering selling both and getting a 200 series. The Land Cruiser is just so much nicer to drive, and other than dirty truck stuff or long loads, it does everything the Taco does. Worst case as many other have mentioned, a cheap utility trailer or renting a trailer easily takes over truck duties with a LC.

I was in your exact position but had a dodge 2500 diesel, that I originally bought to pull with and DD. I quit rock crawling and other heavy towing and sold my rigs and trailer. I put a camper shell on it and slept in it on hunting or camping and trips out west, I picked up a 100 a couple years ago as I really was like you and your 40, but mine is a 60, I then sold my truck to get out from under the $500 a month payments . I really thought I would need another smaller truck, maybe a taco or 1/2 ton but it’s turned out I’m fine with the 100, it does everything I need it to. The heaviest I pull anymore is a 15 ft boat or a 12 ft atv trailer and it does great. I do have a small military type trailer I can use for runs to the hardware store if needed but honestly my need for a truck are non existent . I really love this cruiser more than I ever thought I would. That trailer registration sucks, we have permanent trailer tags here and it’s like a $40 one time deal, depending on the trailer.

Last edited:
Clearly you don't know motors. The duramax diesel is one of the best most reliable motors ever made. Especially the 06-07 model years.

Wait a min, someone said a Duramax will outlast a Land Cruiser and I missed it?
Maximum life of a Durasux is 350,000 miles, that is the maximum life you will ever get from one of those boat anchors.
They are junk and a huge PIA to work on.

I've had 2 Ford 5.4 F150s, a 2000 7.3 Powerstroke with 300k miles, and I also had a 2006 6.0 Powerstroke with 175k miles (which was stolen unfortunately). I loved all of them, especially the 7.3 and 6.0. The torque was just unreal. But to compare them vs the LC is not possible.

The land cruiser is more comfortable, rides better, drives like a sedan, I can pull forward into parking spots, I can scale mountains and cross rivers with ease. But obviously it will never, ever have to cargo utility of a pickup truck. You won't ever have as much of the "king of the road" feeling." The reason I went to the LC is really the wheelbase of a pickup is just too long to be super practical in going some of the places I'd like to go. And in terms of 4x4 SUVs the LC is the king of them all.

Duramax is bulletproof... the problem is the truck wrapped around it won’t last that long!

BUT I will say that I own both a 2001 LC and a 2016 CrewMax. Love them both and don’t hesitate to jump into either for long trips. What it comes down to is use.... for daily use I prefer the truck and my wife prefers the LC which is good since we don’t fight! For a weekend into the hills... truck... if there is a threat of rain... LC.... End of the day they are both Toyota so I win either way... well unless you are counting gas mileage... but that is a whole ‘nother topic!

So the moral of this story is find what works for you. LC is a solid vehicle that will provide you with years of service and is a tank... but if it does not fit your needs then you might need two vehicles! (Or more if you are me!)

My vote is with the 100, I do farm work and miscellaneous side jobs and i just use a trailer and or fold down seats and open hatch. Cant beat the ride or reliability. I love my dads F250 6.0 for the bed and power but parking is a PIA and he is currently losing close to a gallon of coolant a day because of an old line leak that tough to get to and fix and needs like a week of shop time to diagnose and fix along with a big bill and hes not even hit 300k yet. Im at 342k and my AHC and 4.7 pull me and trailer down the road flawlessly.

Most pick up trucks drive like pick up trucks. As Charles Barkley says, tuurible.

And most of the new 1/2 tons are HUGE. Try to park one of these dinosaurs. And if I need a truck, I go to lowes and rent a truck.

I prefer the more balanced LC, the medium large size, and full time 4wd.

I had a '07 duramax LT for about 9 years. Moved to a '16 King Ranch F150 last year. It's luxurious, but I want a 100...

I had a '07 duramax LT for about 9 years. Moved to a '16 King Ranch F150 last year. It's luxurious, but I want a 100...

Luckily they're pretty affordable these days for a second vehicle! I only paid around $6,500 for mine. My gameplan is to make the 100 a secondary/expo type vehicle in a year or 2 and daily a Ford 3/4 ton Powerstroke.

A nice 10' utility trailer requires no insurance and small tag fee. Yet might haul more than a pickup will when pulled by your 100.

Clearly you don't know motors. The duramax diesel is one of the best most reliable motors ever made. Especially the 06-07 model years.

HA!! We used to have a fleet of these turds, cracked flex plates, bad injectors, two thermostats...will not last more than 350k no matter what we did. We got more life out of a Ford Triton than a Durasux.
Get over 200k and they start breaking down constantly. Won't start in the winter, use tons of oil, low oil pressure, overheat...only a few left on the road and one needs another new rear end so it'll go to be made into soup cans soon.

Last edited:
image.jpeg
Best of two worlds....

Like I said. No clue about trucks.

HA!! We used to have a fleet of these turds, cracked flex plates, bad injectors, two thermostats...will not last more than 350k no matter what we did. We got more life out of a Ford Triton than a Durasux.
Get over 200k and they start braking down constantly. Won't start in the winter, use tons of oil, low oil pressure, overheat...only a few left on the road and one needs another new rear end so it'll go to be made into soup cans soon.
Get over 200k and they start braking down constantly. Won't start in the winter, use tons of oil, low oil pressure, overheat...only a few left on the road and one needs another new rear end so it'll go to be made into soup cans soon.

With the third row out, second row folded all the way up, and a decent aftermarket roof rack, you're well into small truck territory for hauling crap inside and lumber up top.

For those of us who park in a normal sized Garage, full size pickups will usually have their ass-end sitting outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom