Picking up A SPLITCASE, do I need help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A friend is pick up a splitcase TC out of a troopie diesel for me and I need some advice,

does the average Joe need help lifting one of these? Also approx dimensions---I am thinking it will fit in a small car trunk for him but want to be sure

can anyone help me out?:cheers:

One guy for split case only, small trunk if there isn't a high liftover, but truck or station wagon/suv much easier on back.

Is this a trick question? :flipoff2:

Because your option is to either take it with you in pieces and disassembled, or carry it off assembled and attached to the transmission. The latter preferably with the help of a friend if you value your boys.

If you take it apart, you will need a good way to remove the bearing on the input shaft so keep that in mind.

assembled

it is coming fully assembled with drum brake attatched and will be transported that way

it is coming fully assembled with drum brake attatched and will be transported that way

What transmission will it be attached to?

One guy is not going to pickup a H41/2/55 and a split case....unless he is a really big man.

What transmission will it be attached to?

One guy is not going to pickup a H41/2/55 and a split case....unless he is a really big man.

I actually picked up a 4-speed tranny and splitcase just a few weeks ago... but it was already lifted on a transmission jack and I only had to raise it another foot to get onto my tailgate. Even then it was so heavy that I literally had trouble taking just one step forward so that I could drop it on the tailgate.

I didn't realize what I was getting into and I'm lucky I didn't hurt my back. It is not a one man job.

Well thanks! ;) Usually it's only the girls that tell me that!

I think it's easily do-able, I have even put my H55/SC combo into my truck by benching it... getting the shaft,clutch,TO bearing was the b!t(h. If it's just the SC should be no big deal- if you have issues I can send my :princess: over... she's 6'1"... :cheers:

I guess the point here is if it's assembled then it's attached to a transmission. Otherwise it's in pieces...

You are correct.

:beer:

Poser, I want my validation too! :hillbilly:

splitcase

I am buying just the split case from him and not the gearbox

I have not seperated a tc from the gearbox yet so not sure what that entails but no gearbox involved

t case weighs about 75 lbs ,4 speed about 150 ,my ups lady has no trouble lifting them in her truck.

I am buying just the split case from him and not the gearbox

I have not seperated a tc from the gearbox yet so not sure what that entails but no gearbox involved

Are you reading what was said to you here? You cannot separate the split case from the gear box without completely disassembling it. If it is in 1 piece still, then the gear box is most definitely involved. Otherwise be prepared to pick up a split case in a bunch of pieces in a box.

A split case does not weight anywhere near 75 pounds, or near 50kg for that matter. Are you sure you are buying a split case?

He could be just buying a split case that was removed from the transmission and lightly reassembled for sale. I bought one that way. Mine was off a US spec FJ60 and I think it weighed about 60lbs shipped.

i have lifted them from bench to wheel barrow.... but never off the ground..
would not recommend lifting it off the ground with only one guy.... two guy deal
save your back...

weight

Are you reading what was said to you here? You cannot separate the split case from the gear box without completely disassembling it. If it is in 1 piece still, then the gear box is most definitely involved. Otherwise be prepared to pick up a split case in a bunch of pieces in a box.

A split case does not weight anywhere near 75 pounds, or near 50kg for that matter. Are you sure you are buying a split case?

Yes, and as far as I know it is just the TC. The guy I am buying it from never mentioned weight so thought I'd just ask here----I finally get it that the case has to come apart to seperate it from the GB. So it will either come to me in pieces or temp assembled for transport.

Opinons on the manliness required to lift it single-handed seem to vary though:D

thanks to all for the responses:) Help is appreciated as always

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom