Picked up a thule mountaineer 669es (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
Happy Friday folks,

I picked up a thule mountaineer 669es for my daughter's 4runner for $45 yesterday. It's an old design but works fine and my daughter will be able to sleep inside her rig when she goes camping. This also relieves the burden of having to build a sleeping/storage platform on the back of her 4Runner.

The owner lost the key and the sliding latch system is in operational due to the plastic bits broken off in place. Assuming my daughter wants to keep it, I might pursue replacing the bits, perhaps salvage them from another Thule cargo carrier that's broken that someone is going to toss or just building my own. Looks like the plastic piece that is pop riveted to the top lid and is broken and stuck inside the bottom lid where the latch mechanism is. I have the serial # of the rack so I can easily get a replacement key, assuming it doesn't cost more than a few duckets. I can easily make up the broken plastic bits using 1/8" alum from a quick glance.

If anyone has ideas or inspirations, please let me know.

Link to the photo album 0 new items by A. Ali - https://photos.app.goo.gl/9dbg6KpDYH7LMcz36

Thule is really easy to deal with getting replacement keys.
I have the same box.
This thing has been a great buy. I gave a C note, had to buy keys and I fixed a crack with two part epoxy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom