SOLD Phoenix: 1997 HDJ81 w/ 102K miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Mileage
Color
white
1997 HDJ81 with 1HD-FT turbodiesel engine with only 102K miles (164K km). This car has no rust and is in excellent condition - no known problems. I imported the car myself - purchased in May 2022 and received in Long Beach in August. The car is currently titled and registered in Arizona. It's in extremely clean condition and is equally suited as a turn key off-roader or a stable baseline to start adding your own stuff.

Features:
  • 1HD-FT engine, 164K km (verified)
  • ABS brakes
  • Airbags
  • AC
  • Power windows and door locks (all working)
  • Sunroof (fully functioning)
  • Lift kit - done in Japan by prior owner... I'd estimate it's a 2" or 3" lift with 33" tires (not sure of the lift kit brand at the moment, but for those interested I'll climb underneath and figure it out)
  • new tires - Toyo Open Country MT 285/75/16
  • Alpine bluetooth stereo (US spec) and hands free calling
  • timing belt sticker indicates timing belt has roughly 40K km remaining to next scheduled replacement
  • Very few if any modifications to OEM condition other than the wheels and lift kit - no engine modifications
Work done after import:
  • new fuel filter
  • new air filter
  • new oil filter and oil change (using synthetic diesel)
  • removed all JDM spec stereo stuff and replaced with US spec Alpine head unit
  • new belts - fan, ac, alternator (one was squealing, unknown age, so I had all three replaced as a precaution)
  • General inspection by local mechanic with no findings
I import a couple JDM Land Cruisers per year and restore them while also using them as secondary transportation. To be honest, this one has been boring as it showed up in great condition and needed very little work other than removing all the Japan specific navigation / toll road wiring (most of these cars I can fill a 5-gal paint bucket with all the excess wiring removed from toll booth readers, GPS antennas, TV antennas, etc... it's insane). My wife is not happy with me I'm selling this one rather than keep it for my long term car as it has air bags and ABS brakes (not sure if that's because I don't have life insurance or she actually enjoys my company... actually I know, I just don't like admitting it).

I've been using it since August as occasional transportation. It's made a couple trips back and forth between Phoenix and Flagstaff, which is a very good test of any car. The drive is only about 150 miles, but it starts at around 1200 ft above sea level and ends at 7000 ft, and some of the biggest hills are 6+% grades for 10+ miles straight often at temperatures up to 110F. This car performed like a champ - the coolant gauge never moved from it's standard temperature, the AC kept pumping out cold air, and the engine pulled strong up the hills. The exhaust looks very clean under all conditions.

I'll include a few photos here but will figure out how or where to include more detailed photos and maybe a couple startup videos or walk-arounds to better highlight the car. Feel free to post questions you want everyone to know or PM me for information specific to you.

The car is located in Phoenix, AZ.

Asking price is $33,500.

main.jpeg
IMG_5194.jpeg
IMG_5177.jpeg
IMG_5184.jpeg
IMG_5188.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice looking rig. I’m curious if the RHD vs LHD makes it more challenging to sell. I wouldn’t think it would make that much of a difference, but maybe I’m wrong.

Regarding the comment above, I don't think it matters. Right hand drive vehicles are fun and always a convo starter. Sometimes the RHD vehicles (or imports) are harder to sell if because the seller is losing a MAJOR market in CA because CA is such a pain in the ass.

For the Cali people watching I don't think this would need smogged since its a 97 and diesel. Might be worth looking into if the vehicle was registered in AZ already.

This is a good one.

Last edited:
Very nice looking rig. I’m curious if the RHD vs LHD makes it more challenging to sell. I wouldn’t think it would make that much of a difference, but maybe I’m wrong.

Regarding the comment above, I don't think it matters. Right hand drive vehicles are fun and always a convo starter. Sometimes the RHD vehicles (or imports) are harder to sell if because the seller is losing a MAJOR market in CA because CA is such a pain in the ass.

For the Cali people watching I don't think this would need smogged since its a 97 and diesel. Might be worth looking into if the vehicle was registered in AZ already.

This is a good one.

I think there are several issues in play that clearly make these more difficult and time consuming to sell. I can confirm with certainty there are some people who absolutely will not even consider a RHD car, so there are for sure fewer buyers on a RHD 80 series than there would be on a LHD. When you do see the rare LHD diesel 80 that comes around in conditions similar to this one, they command a huge price premium. I've had numerous people interested in this one ask how difficult it would be to convert it to LHD.

CA is indeed a pain for diesels. I don't want to turn this in to a discussion about CA compliance, but my understanding is that CA will make you have the emissions equipment modified to be CA compliant (despite the EPA approval for being 25 yrs old) which will set you back about $10K. I did sell a diesel to CA resident about 18 months ago, but he skirted the rule by registering the car in another state. CA buyers should clearly beware... actually that should apply everywhere. As a seller, I can't possibly know emissions or registration requirements for any jurisdiction other than my own.

To that note...

Title: It is currently titled in AZ, so despite being an import, any state *should* recognize the AZ title as clear proof of ownership and transfer the title fairly easily to the buyers state. As a backup, I would be able to provide electronic copies of the original import documents just in case (EPA approval, DOT approval, and Homeland Security approval should be all that's needed).

- In AZ, registration would require an emissions test for Phoenix and Tucson metro area residents. Being a full time 4wd, you can get an exemption, but you still have to pay the $12 emissions fee and go to the Exemptions line at the emissions testing places to get the piece of paper that basically says "we don't have the ability to test this car". If you're outside the Phoenix or Tucson emissions zones, you can easily register the car without need for emissions checks.
- In other states... I have no idea, but I would think it will be all emissions driven. Buyers outside AZ really are on their own to understand their state's requirements.

Just in regards to your comments about converting to LHD.

Really easiest way to do this is buy a rust free USA 80-series and move everything over from the HDJ81. You then basically have a HDJ80, tough part is just the RHD to LHD wiring harnesses.

Real nice HDJ81 here though, GLWS!

Cheers

Just in regards to your comments about converting to LHD.

Really easiest way to do this is buy a rust free USA 80-series and move everything over from the HDJ81. You then basically have a HDJ80, tough part is just the RHD to LHD wiring harnesses.

Real nice HDJ81 here though, GLWS!

Cheers
That's essentially what I told them... if LHD is that important to you, either pay the rather hefty premium for one of the rare clean, low-mileage HDJ80s that comes around or buy a US gasser and swap out the engine for a good condition 1HD.

For less money they could go on a European vacation and rent a RHD car, learn to drive it there, then come back and get a RHD.

Sale pending. No reason to think it will go sideways yet, but I'll wait to change the status to Sold until it's done.

This one does NOT have lockers?
Also, is there a K&N air filter in it or is that just the sticker and there's an OEM filter in the air cleaner housing?

This one does NOT have lockers?
Also, is there a K&N air filter in it or is that just the sticker and there's an OEM filter in the air cleaner housing?
No F/R lockers, just the standard center diff lock. The K&N is just a sticker left over from a prior owner. The filter media inside is a fresh OEM version... maybe 1-2000km worth of driving on it.

That said - I have a pending sale already and everything appears on schedule to deliver it end of next week. I'll mark this thread as Sold as soon as it is completed.

The sale went through. This one is off the market. Sorry for anyone still lurking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom