Pewter Roll Bar vs. Black Roll Bar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

airon23

SILVER Star
Threads
So I've seen some roll bars the gray pewter color and most others are black. 1.Are the pewter roll bars stock? 2.When did they start making them that color? 3.Is it only for certain colors of FJ40s?

I have a mostly sky blue stock painted FJ40, and I've seen some pewter roll bars with the sky blue combination and I think it looks good. But it made me wonder when or if they did this color and then if I want to at some point paint/powder coat mine the same.

Thanks for the info of which I'm sure many on here will have. This forum is filled with people who know so much about these wonderful vehicles, that I bet we could probably get into a lengthy discussion about the intricacies about the roll bar.

Call it.....
DSC00449.jpg

mouse grey.... 43/1979.;)

Last edited:
Seats and roll bar and door cards all changed in '79 no matter what color. (Just like they said) I have to say I prefer black but then again, I've owned five Cruisers but not any after '77. I don't like the square grill which also started in '79.

my '82's seat backs are gray like the roll bar

Seats and roll bar and door cards all changed in '79 no matter what color. (Just like they said) I have to say I prefer black but then again, I've owned five Cruisers but not any after '77. I don't like the square grill which also started in '79.
Ok that answers that. I agree I'm more of a rounded bezel guy myself.

Use to wish my 79 was a 77/78. Glad it is a 79. 22 1/2 gallon fuel tank verses 16 1/2 gallon fuel tank. Much easier to install a H55F in a 79+. Just learned that newer bib with square bezel is thinner creating more space for a A/C condenser. Living in the desert can deal with the more rust prone thinner metal.

The grey rollbar also has extra padding where the seatbelts bolt onto. The closest color I can find is Rustoleum Dark Grey. Some people say Rustoleum Smoke grey, but that is too light.

The grey rollbar also has extra padding where the seatbelts bolt onto. The closest color I can find is Rustoleum Dark Grey. Some people say Rustoleum Smoke grey, but that is too light.

I am not sure if the 78 had the extra padding or not. From what I can tell the move to the roll bar was 2/78. Can only find a listing for the extra pad on the 8/80+. Have three grey roll bars, two 79s and a pre 8/80 80. All have the extra pad at the upper seat belt attachment. :meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom