Performance upgrades for 62 and early 80's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know for the later 80's there is the supercharger that can be added for 45% more hp but are there any performance upgrades that can be added to fj62 and ealry 80'besides headers and exhaust systems, can aftermarket intake systems be added? is it worth it?

There are a few thngs you can do. I used a MSD 6a spark control, MSD hi vibration coil, custom 8.5mm MSD wires, advanced the timing a bit, all new ignition parts, K+N air filter and cleaned the hell out of the throttle body and re set the TPS. New hi flow exhaust with hi flow cats and a flowmaster muffler.I noticed a major improvement. Next move is a K+N air filter charger, avail from TLC or make it yourself, and a bored out throttle body that LC engineering sells. I have driven some with the headers and noticed a difference but not sure if I would do it or not. A lot of money and work for somthing that will eventually leak

I pretty much agree with all that. I chose not to use the K&N filter because while it does flow better than an OEM filter it also lets in more dirt. Headers are probably not worthwhile, but the rest of the exhaust system upgrade is - go for a single cat, 2.5" pipes. A complete clean out of the intake and injectors (throttle body, intake air chamber, EGR, cold start injector, intake manifold), and a real good tuneup (timing, all new ignition parts, to include the MSD system, valve adjustment, etc.) are definitely worthwhile.

If you feel up to an engine rebuild, you can overbore the cylinders and put in bigger pistons and port and polish the head - I have a friend that did this and he estimates he's getting about 200 hp. (Also has the other mods above). Big $$ for all that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom