PCV hose, valve cover + engine block oil leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting ready to do 120k tune up. While I'm at it, I want to get my engine looking looking clean and oil stain free. Can you guys check out the pics and let me know what I need to do/order from CDan to get what appears to be oil leaks to stop. I usually need to fill about a quart of oil between changes (5k intervals).

To me it looks like the PCV hose and possibly valve cover gasket need to be replaced. What do you think about those stains on the engine block? Oh, and feel free to point out anything else that looks like it needs attention.

As always, thanks!

P1000519.jpg

P1000524.jpg

P1000521.jpg

Last edited:
The main things I can think of:
Since your throttle body will be off, you might clean it and the inside of the intake manifold. Clean out the EGR tube cast into the intake manifold too. Replace both of the little coolant hoses running to/from the intake manifold. Valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals and the pcv grommet and valve. Get some vacuum tubing and replace any and all the pieces you can reach (it just comes as one long piece). I'm sure Dan could come up with a bunch of suggestions when you call him.

I would say the two hoses are old, hard and cracked which is why they are leaking. Mine did the same. While you are there replace the PCV and replace the grommet. DON'T let the grommet fall into the valve cover or else you will spend 30 minutes with needle nose pliers trying to break it apart and taking out the pieces.

Your valve cover definitely looks like it should be replaced. Which you do that, change out the spark plus seals as well. And as long as you are there change out the plug and check the wires for resistance. If you haven't already, cap and rotor too.

To elaborate on the 120k tune up, I'm planning on doing:

1. Spark plugs
2. Spark plug wires
3. Distributer cap + rotor
4. Air filter
5. Oil + filter change
6. Coolant change
7. O2 rear sensor (fronts already done)
8. Wipers

Based on the recommendations so far, I will add the following to fix the oil leak:

9. PCV valve, grommet, hoses, valve cover gasket

I'd add the spark plug tube seals since the valve cover is coming off. If you're going to do a coolant drain/fill you might want to replace the thermostat/gasket and radiator cap. Maybe the Pesky Heater Hose (PHH) too since you're draining the coolant.

:cheers:

I'd add the spark plug tube seals since the valve cover is coming off. If you're going to do a coolant drain/fill you might want to replace the thermostat/gasket and radiator cap. Maybe the Pesky Heater Hose (PHH) too since you're draining the coolant.

:cheers:

Are you getting commission from CDan? :p I'm going to outsource the coolant change because I can't dispose of it properly. But doing the PHH is a good idea, I've got that green hose already. Not sure I'f I'm going to tackle the spark plug tube seals, sounds a bit risky for me. I haven't looked into the valve cover so maybe it's not that bad? :confused:

Are you getting commission from CDan? :p I'm going to outsource the coolant change because I can't dispose of it properly. But doing the PHH is a good idea, I've got that green hose already. Not sure I'f I'm going to tackle the spark plug tube seals, sounds a bit risky for me. I haven't looked into the valve cover so maybe it's not that bad? :confused:

Its not that bad. Also, ask CDan for the washable air filter and then get two of them. That way you can always switch out a clean one instead of waiting. There have been crap loads of fires here in LA and I am right smack in the middle of the three that were burning. My NEW air filter is CLOGGED!!!!!

I'm in the process of doing the same project. Any recommendations on cleaning the engine. Brand of cleaner, method, etc. Mine used to look new, but the taconite trails up north made a mess of everything.

might has well replace the fuel filter, and drain the transmission pan and then top it back up with some new fluid. oh, and check your difs and transfer case fuild levels as well.

Although when I went to blow my nose it looked like I was snorting the ash bin in my bbq.

Mmmm.....BBQ ash...... *drool*

I'm in the process of doing the same project. Any recommendations on cleaning the engine. Brand of cleaner, method, etc. Mine used to look new, but the taconite trails up north made a mess of everything.

I got this killer stuff from my local Pilot. Looked like a generic degreaser, but it did an incredible job, I was really amazed. I need to go pick up more, I'll try and remember to do that tomorrow and post the name/chemical.

Replace both hoses coming out of the valve cover. They're both old, as evidenced by the oil stains around them.

You also may want to reseal the half moons under the valve cover at the front of the head. You'll need some fipg.

And since you'll have the valve cover off, replace the spark plug tube seals. They can be a PIA to get out and make sure you put them back in the right way.

Have you cleaned your tuna can lately?

with respect to the valve cover try just snugging the bolts back down towards the rear. mine loosened up, I simply just tightened them back down. all is well. the totque spec is in inch pounds, so be careful not to snap them off. I'd bet a beer thats the cause of your leak at the valve cover, the bolts simply loosened up.

with respect to the valve cover try just snugging the bolts back down towards the rear. mine loosened up, I simply just tightened them back down. all is well. the totque spec is in inch pounds, so be careful not to snap them off. I'd bet a beer thats the cause of your leak at the valve cover, the bolts simply loosened up.

Rear bolts were definitely loose. I've hand tightened them for now and am going to clean the oil off and see if it still leaks. I do have a new gasket on order anyway.

I ordered all the same parts + a starter from C-Dan. Was going to do it next weekend if the parts make it. Did you have a lot of gunk when you pulled the valve cover? Did you use a spray degreaser to clean it?
Just checking on how many :banana:s this job was!

I'd just buy a new engine and have it installed. Just kidding! I read the thread because I have some leakage showing around the valve cover and need to do some of the same mentioned. Thanks for the advice guys!

Well I ended up replacing the PCV hoses, gaskets, spark plug seals, and all the other tune-up items. Just tightening the valve cover nuts wasn't enough. I didn't realize the 1 qt of oil I was losing every few thousand miles was caused by the above leaks! It's nice to be dry on the outside! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom