Parking sensor issue (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting a message to check the sonar system on the instrument panel. On the navigation screen, there is a message " Please check Lexus park assist. Please have your vehicle checked by a dealer."

Now for a little background. I just got it back from the body shop for a door-ding repair where they removed the rear bumper cover. The cover was NOT painted, it did have a little previous damage on the corner that was left alone. The only parking sensor issue I have ever had is one area beeping when it has been in inclement weather. That issue always seemed like a dirty sensor and always went away. I have never seen the check sonar message until now.

The reason I am posting asking here instead of taking it back to the shop is because they are blaming the issue on the previous bumper contact.

I can't scan it myself. Is there anything specific I should try or does anyone have diagrams of the harness or the recommended way to access connections without dropping the bumper cover?

What year is your truck? I'm guessing the 22+ changed systems considering the entire infotainment is different

IMG_2092.jpeg
IMG_2093.jpeg

Do you have more info to help with the first image?
I think that means that the pattern shown blinking and beeping on your center dash indicator will help identify which sensor is having the issue (out of 8). Then you can first check to make sure it is plugged in correctly, and mounted correctly in the bumper with the gasket. They are somewhat sensitive. I have a front one go bad shortly after installing my front bumper. The bad thing about rear ones is you will want to find a color-matched one. Basic ones are black, and matched my aftermarket black steel bumper just fine.

If you can't scan, I'm assuming you don't have the Toyota Techstream software? Where are you located? Perhaps someone local can come scan it for you. Techstream will provide a code specific to each sensor.

I think that means that the pattern shown blinking and beeping on your center dash indicator will help identify which sensor is having the issue (out of 8). Then you can first check to make sure it is plugged in correctly, and mounted correctly in the bumper with the gasket. They are somewhat sensitive. I have a front one go bad shortly after installing my front bumper. The bad thing about rear ones is you will want to find a color-matched one. Basic ones are black, and matched my aftermarket black steel bumper just fine.

If you can't scan, I'm assuming you don't have the Toyota Techstream software? Where are you located? Perhaps someone local can come scan it for you. Techstream will provide a code specific to each sensor.
I'm in the Memphis area. Mine isn't displaying exactly like that image. I'll upload a picture. The message on the instrument cluster is essentially the same. It says to check sonar and all areas are illuminated.

I'm about to check the voltage and try to check all the connections. With the work done, they most likely only unplugged the bumper connection and didn't touch any individual sensors.

mIC8JL4.jpg

I don't recall ever seeing that screen with all sensors reporting offline

I'd really need to see some codes.

You could see if free auto parts scan could give you info.

If you don't want to deal with setting up Techstream... OBD Fusion/Link makes it pretty easy to get at all ECUs.

I don't recall ever seeing that screen with all sensors reporting offline

I'd really need to see some codes.

You could see if free auto parts scan could give you info.

If you don't want to deal with setting up Techstream... OBD Fusion/Link makes it pretty easy to get at all ECUs.

I didn't realize a scanner like that would read the Sonar ECU. I was thinking it had to be done at Lexus/Toyota or with one of the big Snap-On scanners.

I was under the impression that a basic scanner would not read codes from the parking sensor system.
That I don't know. The only issues I ever have with parking sensors is them getting dirty in rain or snow and always beeping when I slow down to a stop.
Gotta remember to keep them wiped off, along with the rear camera.

If the code is C1AED does anyone have a diagram to help me understand what I am testing resistance on?

sensorcheck.png

Edit: That code seems to most likely be an issue with the wiring. If a sensor was bad wouldn't there also be a code for a specific sensor, example C1AE9?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom