Paki soft top gromets and tool. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have purchased a Paki soft top for my 40 and needed the fabric gromets installed to recieve the turn buckles. In case you were not aware, Eshan and his fella's DO NOT INSTALL THESE.

I went to various boat and auto upholstery shops to get these put in (I needed 18 of these installed). Their quotes were outrageous AND I had to leave the cruiser for installation. So strike that I idea! Soooo..... Long stroy short, I purchased a cutter and the hardware from a well stocked shop. I'm all done with the tool and want to "pass it along". The install went perfect!

Couple of notes on doing this:

- Mark where the gromet assembly will go and then move it up a little like 3/16" or so then punch your hole (THanks Ground Up).

- Note how many turnbuckes you need for your application. My '68 tub already had the pre-drilled holes. You'll need 18. For later years, you will need 4 for each side. This has been discussed before on another thread.

- Place a peice of soft lumber (like a pine 2x4) underneath and give the punch a firm wack. THis will easily go through all the layers of fabric.

- Take your time. Make sure everything is snug. Make sure your top is sitting the way you want it BEFORE knocking holes in the fabric!

- Pratice on a scrap peice of fabric first.

- DO NOT DROP THE PUNCH! It is sharp and you could ruin the cutting edge.

- If you need turnbuckles, I suggest getting OEM. They are pricey but cdan or your dealer may get you some for a reasonable price. I did not try others types of fastners as suggested on the board.

The gromet fits perfectly with the OEM turnbuckle. IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO USE THE TOOL TO INSTALL THESE but it is SOOOO much faster. You could use an exacto knife but plan on cutting little holes all day.

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

The punch cost me $60.00. The fastners cost .25 each (so a front and a back costs .50). What I'd like to do is to "move" the tool to the next person who needs it. Also, I can supply the gromets. Use the punch then move it along to the next person (make sure you get your $60.00!). Use this thread to keep track of it.

1. You brake the tool, you buy it.
2. If you want to keep the punch, fine. Just let the board know and I can get another one.
3. Move the tool along. In other words, be ready to use it. Hopefully it won't sit in any one place too long!
4. I can supply the gromets so you can get them right away. Remember it is not necessary to use the tool to cut the holes but believe me you wish you did!
5. To move things along, make sure you have the turnbuckles in hand (or on your tub!) and your top is ready to go.
6. Get a couple of extra sets of gromets... one for a practic run and a couple as spares.

I'll get the tool and necessary gromets out Priority Mail to the first person who needs it. Just send $60.00 + .50 for each set of gromets. If you want the gromets, PM me and I'll get however many you need out right away.

Man this post is too friggin long already. Hopefully you folks have the idea. Bottom line ..... Install your gromets at home and for 18 of them it will cost you about $10 plus postage. If you have 8 to do, it will cost you $4 plus postage.

Pictures!

all.jpg

back.jpg

installed.jpg

on_cruiser1.jpg

on_cruiser2.jpg

i bought the two pieces from lowes and used a box cutter to cut fabric...worked just fine.

I think the fastners were about $5 each from cdan.

nuclearlemon said:
i bought the two pieces from lowes and used a box cutter to cut fabric...worked just fine.

Yep it'll work. Just cutting fabric... but I had 18 to do and me with a sharp object on a $300 top is a recipe for disaster. Using the tool does cut it clean and is fast.

Last edited:
HELP: Has anyone found a good source for the buckles that are on the rear straps that go in the footman loops - I live in Florida and the Paki stuff has rusted all to heck...

The local marine canvas store let me borrow their old punch - and I bought all my stainless turnbuckles from them - looks very similar to OEM but very high grade - no rust yet.

The tool has been sent out. Hopefully he'll post up when done with it. I can get more of these tools but it'll cost ya! :)

I have the gromets available. Lemme know if anybody needs any.

Sputnik40 said:
HELP: Has anyone found a good source for the buckles that are on the rear straps that go in the footman loops - I live in Florida and the Paki stuff has rusted all to heck...

Search around on mud. I saw in a Paki top related post that someone got them from a marine box store (West Marine or BoatUS). They were stainless with plastic "feet".

Sputnik40 said:

The local marine canvas store let me borrow their old punch - and I bought all my stainless turnbuckles from them - looks very similar to OEM but very high grade - no rust yet.
I'm interested in that information, too.

Very interesting indeed. Thank you Trekker for the effort and posting up the pics and information.
As for all the people who need extra metal buckles, I am willing to send new ones for free if you pay the postage on them. If someone can start a similar thread like this one to gather all the people who require these (We improved the chrome plating on the buckles some 18 months ago so the later tops might be safe from the rust problem). Then when we know how many people want them and we have someone willing to handle this, I will send a whole box full of these free of cost(if under a 100 pieces) and only postage charges will be charged. Consider this "After sales Services.." :)..
Thanks
Ehsan

Does anyone know where I can get one of these punches?

Just for the record these are called Common Sense Fasteners and are available from many sources...Here's one that also offers the tool. http://www.seattlefabrics.com/ :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom