Painting the Windows

Has anyone customized their 80 series wheels by painting the windows of there rims to look like the collectors edition rims? (ie. grey insets) I sort of gave up loooking for a original set as there are difficult to find used.

Last edited:

NorCalDoug

problems solved daily...

yer kidding, right?

If not...How about Lexus OEM rims? That might suit the bill for you.

Otherwise, I'm sure you can find a decent shop to powder coat the holes for you.

sleeoffroad

Supporting Vendor

We have a customer that has the centers painted green to match the truck.

My wheels are in very poor shape too, does anyone have and DIY tips or write ups on how to....

For those of you who know, should I use sand paper to clean up the wheels a bit before I paint them or should I use a wire brush, any info or pics would be much appreciated.

Tommy

acolella said:
Has anyone customized their 80 series wheels by painting the windows of there rims to look like the collectors edition rims? (ie. grey insets) I sort of gave up loooking for a original set as there are difficult to find used.
These are readily available as "refinished" wheels - talk to your Discount Tire dealer or any other decent tire/ wheel supplier. It may take you a while to get them, but they are listed in the wheel catalogs.

I bought a set of reconditioned Cruiser wheels (polished/ silver) 8 months ago for my summer tires. I know that the dark gray is available as well.

I have painted various wheels using DupliColor wheel spray paints, including the clear coat. They look very pretty for a while, but chip easily if you drive a lot of gravel.

John Davies

Top Bottom