Painting my CDN m101- how to's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
twitter.com
Hi all, I'd like to freshen up my trailer. I've treated surface rust with POR15, still need to pull off the old trashed fenders and install an NOS pair, but once that's done, I would like to paint it. Probably keep it OD green.

Questions:
- Monsta Line the tub?
- Monsta Line the tub AND exterior?
- paint tub and exterior with a tough paint?

Monsta Lining involves roller applications; my only curiosity is how Monsta will look/hold up/feel on the exterior over the long term?

I've never painted with anything more than a rattle can, so the prospect of shooting with a sprayer seems more involved than might be in my wheelhouse. Or do I just go for it?

And lastly, if there are any trusted suggestions for a decent painter in Portland, OR area, that'd be something I'd explore too.

I only used Duraback (like Monsta Line) on my fenders. It's an offroad trailer - I just rattle canned the interior/exterior and lid. Buddy bought a M101CDN with a Monsta Lined tub - to rough a finish for an interior IMHO.

If you do the prep work, I always wondered what a Maaco or similar cheap place would charge to shoot a little trailer like ours. All I did was wash it with Dawn dishwashing detergent (great grease/road grime stripping qualities), quick wet sanding with mask because of the military type paint, another wash, thorough drying, prime and paint. Turned out ok for a rank beginner doing something like this.

Good luck and post pics!!

I had our M101 sandblasted. Since I have a compressors, I bought a cheap HF low-pressure sprayer and shot it with primer, then OD tractor paint over that. Unless you have to buy a compressor, that's about as cheap as it gets if you have a space to do the work. Runs, etc from my lack of experience? A few, but I wiped them and finished things. It's just a trailer to haul chit in, so no big deal if not perfect, it's a good job to build up you painting skillz with.

One thing that made this easier was setting the axle on a couple of jackstands. With the tires off, this make it easy to lift the front of the trailer, holding the tongue up by a prop or drop from overhead. Makes it easy to get the front side of everything underneath to limit future rust.

Nothing special in coating the bed, just the three layers of paint I put over everything. The OD rubs some, but doesn't really wear through so far. I did cut down a thick rubber pickup truck bed floor, which protects the floor and a oak rub bar that runs across the front of the inside of the tub.

PaintedTrailer1.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent tips guys, thanks. And good note on the prior experience with Monsta. I'll keep yall posted; may be a while though. Nothing moves as quickly as I want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom