paint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everybody,

Getting close to done and need to paint this thing somehow. Has an aqualu tub which I know should be "etched" somehow then painted.

My questions are:

1. does it have to be etched? If it does where can I get the etching primer, and how hard is it to do?

2. I am thinking about durabak-ing the whole thing, and their people said it would still need to be etched before applying their stuff. Has anybody done this without etching it?

3. Where is a source for paint if I would like to do it myself? Any body/paint shop? I have a paint gun, just need paint.

4. Finally, which would be less expensive, etch then regular paint, or etch and durabak?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

etching primer

Search your town for a Dupont automotive finishing supplier and tell them you need some etching primer I don't recall the part #. That stuff is a 2 part mix and very hard on the lungs , USE A RESPERATOR. After I applied that I would apply a good coat of sealer. and then you can do what ever you want with the top coat.

I can get the part # on that stuff if you would like just PM me

Zinc Chromate is used on aluminum, as is the self etching primer. I think you'd be OK with either. Call or stop by a body shop around quitting time with a 12 pak and just ask to talk to their painter. I have used self etch in a spray can on small stuff. I think the etchant is phosphoric acid.
GL

Ain't gots no al-U-minium, so don't listen to me!

Ed

And like David Clayton sez.....Use a respirator! With all the catalyzed stuff out there, you need one, if you like breathing and don't like the operating table.
Just ask the early Imron painters. Spend $50 and save your health.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom