Paint job (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.badlandsexpeditions.wordpress.com
I need to repaint my FJ60 but am on a budget. So what do you recommend?

Earl Scheib or Maaco? Color is not an issue as the title nor the registration indicate a color. Anyone have any experience? Thanks

if she's rust free, do all the prep yourself. Sand it down, remove the trim etc... then bring it to the paint place for a spray.

Or if your really on a budget, roll on some tremclad. I used that. Works fine. But the labour is insane.

After reading that post I am sooooo in. It cannot look any worse than what my cruiser looks like now so this summer. Its on like Donkey Kong!! :grinpimp:

I will be doing a write up.

Last edited:
Yah I did exactly that procedure. With White tremclad paint. I think for you Mercans the difficult part is getting the similar paint as he used.As tremclad is a common canadian product Its rust paint, that is not water soluble. I used mineral spirits to thin it.

OK when I come home tonight I will get some pics on here to show ya. I only did the body/tub with out the doors. Doors I decided to spray and wet sand. Only because the roll on take forever.

It took at least 3 hrs per roll on with out the doors each time. I rolled 10 coats. Also it usually took 2 hrs plus to wetsand to prep for the next coat.

But the finish is ultra smooth. And no flying dust like spraying.

Last edited:
Tremcald and Rustoleum seem to be made by the same manufacturer. From what I understand it is called Tremclad in Canada and Rustoleum in the US. Can't wait for the pics brownbear.

Piant jo

My question was who has had experience with Earl Scheib or Maaco?

The problem with going to a small garage shop,which I did before and it took three months and a trip to small claims court to get the truck, is that they take a long time. This is a trail truck but I would like it to look a little better without spending alot of time and less than 1000.00. Thanks for your input.

i wnt by the local lowes and they had everything to do the cheap paint job.

One gallon of rustoleum paint 24 bucks(not a good selection of colors though)
One professioal high density roller with applicator and paint tray was 5 bucks
6-pack refill was 8 or 9 bucks
one gallon of mineral spirits was like 10 bucks

lunyou

hey how much mineral spirits did you use to thin the paint.....is surely isn't 1:1

lunyou

rolling is a waste of effort IMHO..

You will get much faster results with a $30 Harbor Freight HVLP gun.

I started the roll on design. Then got tired at about the 3rd coat of paint/wetsand repeat.. Sprayed it in a day..

The end product of rolling is amazing if done right..

But damn.. lol

ahem...the guy says he wants to know about sheib or maaco.

like someone else said, strip the chrome and do the prep yourself including masking areas to not be painted and rough sanding the surface. under those conditions the cheapo shops do a good or at least decent job (but its enamel if you know the implications of that). they fall down on the prep stages. ive had one car done by maaco and i did all the prep and it turned out nice...though a few years in the sun will kill the paint.

one love
jah bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom