P2759 - Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few lights lit up in the dash while driving today, pulled the code, P2759 - Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit.

I am search deficient, but I couldn't find anything here about it. We were in North Georgia, but not off road. I didn't notice any change in drivability. I cleared the code, we'll see how long it takes to come back.

Any thoughts on the cause or where I should start looking?
Thanks!

First things would be ensure the correct ATF level at the right temperature.

If the fluid level is correct, and the light goes off again, replace the solenoid. Solenoids fail all the time, and are not expensive.

If it goes off again, then you’ll need a new torque converter. The thing with T/Cs, you don’t want to drive around on a known failed one very long. They may not seem like anything is wrong, but when they fail, they don’t act like a clutch. A failed clutch is less likely to destroy too much of the bell housing area (really all the goodies behind it). But when a T/C fails, it usually (not always) grenades more violently, requiring a whole new tranny. That that you couldn’t rehab the tranny, it just won’t be cost effective over a new one.

Level was good, but I did a quick drain and refill. We have not been driving much, CEL popped up again this morning.

My search skills are failing me, any assistance on identifying the failed solenoid and replacement steps?

Edit: Any chance a failing battery could play into it? I am charging a different battery and going to swap them.

Last edited:
Charging the battery was wishful thinking. The error came back up. I took it to a recommended transmission shop. He stated he pulled additional codes indicating at least two solenoid failures. This leads him to believe there may be contamination from the torque converter failing.

Estimate I received was 3k, a bit more then I am ready to take on.
I am thinking about purchasing a new Toyota torque converter, I'm looking at about $800 shipped.
Am I asking for trouble?

Am I asking for trouble?

This is @Taco2Cruiser wheelhouse but I'm interested in the broader story..

Did you buy this rig used? If so, any clue if maintenance was kept up on? How many miles on it?

Just want to get some more data in case others run into this code in the future.

Good luck with it, either way.. and please post your resolution.

Last edited:
I'll take another look at Toyota for the specific history. We bought it a few years ago at 160. At 200 now. I've done two drain and refills.

Edit: FLA PO took it to dealer every 5k for oil changes, wiper blades, etc. Many 15K, 30K, 75K SVC, but I don't see any transmission items in details.

Last edited:
The shop showed me a handful of codes, but I did not get a copy/picture of it.
The two I see plus Sixth Gear Ratio incorrect and additional solenoid codes.

With Torque App, I see:
P0983 - Shift Solenoid “D” Control Circuit
P2759 - Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit

Will Tech Stream show me more?

I am thinking of shopping for a used transmission, thoughts/comments?

2nd opinion came back like the first, bad valve body and bad converter, estimate 3k.

First option, have it rebuilt for 3k (not sure if this would be 3500 or 4000 when all said and done?)

Second option, I'm looking at tranny/converter out of a 127K lx570, $2k shipped to my door (how long is this swap going to take? maybe paying 1k to install it?)

Third option, rebuilt unit from Toyota with converter 5,300 shipped to my door (1k core charge included)

Fourth, part it out?

I'm torn, an extra grand gives me a warranty and someone else sweating through it, but I'd be saving a grand.

High tech in Duluth was highly recommended by someone I trust.
Aamco in Woodstock was recommended, the owner is into Toyotas and recommended by another tranny shop.

eBay tranny has no reverse, 5th or 6th...

ouch...

I'm not 100% sure, but believe it would be possible to swap in a tranny from a Tundra or Sequoia. These can be found pretty readily for $1200 on car-part.com

I'm not 100% sure, but believe it would be possible to swap in a tranny from a Tundra or Sequoia. These can be found pretty readily for $1200 on car-part.com
I wasn't sure and didn't find confirmation or denial of that.

Can anyone educate me on resetting the transmission control module?

You need Techstream to do this. It's under

Powertrain / Engine and ECT / Utility / Reset Memory
Shop stated they did "adapts" with a snap on scanner, anyone familiar with this and if it accomplishes the task required?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom