P-metric at tire choices (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all- After riding on 275/70r18 duratracs on factory lx470 wheels for 3 years I’m thinking I want to go with something less aggressive for a better ride/wet weather traction and hopefully a mpg boost. My initial thoughts after digging around here were Cooper at3s, Toto open country at, or nitto g2s. The tread on these seem to be less aggressive than my Duratracs, can I make the assumption that wet weather performance should increase with these less aggressive tires?

The thought has come to me that I most likely could get away with a p-metric tire as this truck is used for 80% highway/ in town, 10% towing a 18 ft aluminum center console boat that all in tows @ < 2,500 lbs if I had to guess, and the remaining 10% on dirt/fire roads for hunting. My only concern with p-metric would be towing purposes even though i tow reasonably light loads. Thoughts?

I’d like to stick to the same size tire or go to a 285/65/18 but can’t find the above 3 tires, or any at tires in p-metric in this size. Are there any tires that come to mind that would work for me? Wet traction is definitely something I’d like to improve so keep that in mind with any recommendations. Thanks for any advise.

275/65/18. There are several P metric AT tires in that size. Yokohama Geolander G015 and General Grabber AT2 for example.

I don't think you are going to have much luck finding tires that size in P-metric.... people who are running that size tires generally don't want p metric....they want LT for the added durability.

You will have better luck going back to the factory size.

My personal opinion is that P metric tires have no place if you plan on doing any off roading or any towing. You are better off being nicer to the pedal on the right for increased milage than you are switching tires out.... Plus you drive a land cruiser... Rule#1 never pass a gas station. ..you aren't going to get good milage unless you swap a diesel in.

I just went through this. I sold my 03 LC it had 275/65/18 duratracs. Bought a 2001 lx470 with the 16” wheel. I swapped tires out to a pirelli scorpion ATR LT285/75/16. Better fuel economy and super quiet compared to the dura trac. I live in south Florida so I can swear by the wet traction on the Pirelli and it’s great for what I need off road . I also tow a 24’ cc all over. Also, tire kingdom had the pirelli for 136.00$ per tire plus a rebate. Great tire but go to LT either way.

Okay so it sounds like the concensus is to stick with a lt tire even though I tow light. I’m good with that.

Does anybody have commentary on the Cooper, Toyo, and nitto I mentioned with regard to wet weather traction and which one would be the best bet? The pirelis sound nice with wet weather, but I’m looking for something a bit more aggressive, but not as aggressive as the duratracs as I’m hoping I’ll see a ride quality increase and more wet road traction. Could I expect those 3 to offer better wet weather traction than my current duratracs? What’s about ride quality/wet weather between those 3 against each other?

Toyo hands down. Had them on a jk wrangler unlimited. LT 285 If you get the lt make sure they are the” extreme”. More aggressive sidewall. Super quiet great wet traction. If they could keep that “heep” on the road you will be golden. And they were great off-road. I could stay in 2wd in mid up to the bumpers on the JK.

Toyo hands down. Had them on a jk wrangler unlimited. LT 285 If you get the lt make sure they are the” extreme”. More aggressive sidewall. Super quiet great wet traction. If they could keep that “heep” on the road you will be golden. And they were great off-road. I could stay in 2wd in mid up to the bumpers on the JK.

People seem to have good things to say about the cooper and the toyo. My personal experience is that the nitto is marginal.

Thanks for everyone’s input - between the Toyo and Cooper, would one have a softer sidewall than the other? I’m assuming both are similar noise level

Typically a P-metric tire has a higher weight rating than a LT tire and a softer sidewall for a better ride as they are meant for passenger cars and vans where ride quality is needed.

A P-metric tire is not a good choice for hardcore off roading but perfectly fine for two tracking to your favorite fishing hole or hunting blind.

I've had the Toyo A/T, great tire in the rain and snow, quiet, tracked nice, did not last long, I got 40k out of them on my Montero.

You want to make sure you check the weight and sidewall rating on the tires before you buy. A 4-ply tire is the lowest you can go on a truck this heavy, 6-ply and up would be better but you loose ride quality the stiffer the sideall.

Typically a P-metric tire has a higher weight rating than a LT tire and a softer sidewall for a better ride as they are meant for passenger cars and vans where ride quality is needed.

A P-metric tire is not a good choice for hardcore off roading but perfectly fine for two tracking to your favorite fishing hole or hunting blind.

I've had the Toyo A/T, great tire in the rain and snow, quiet, tracked nice, did not last long, I got 40k out of them on my Montero.

You want to make sure you check the weight and sidewall rating on the tires before you buy. A 4-ply tire is the lowest you can go on a truck this heavy, 6-ply and up would be better but you loose ride quality the stiffer the sideall.

Do you know of any 33” inch all terrain tires that are p- metric? I’m not in a rocky part of the country so puncture resistance isn’t a big deal and softer sidewalls and lighter weight sounds like a good thing to me as long as it can serve light towing duty.

Do you know of any 33” inch all terrain tires that are p- metric? I’m not in a rocky part of the country so puncture resistance isn’t a big deal and softer sidewalls and lighter weight sounds like a good thing to me as long as it can serve light towing duty.

Where shopping for tires do not look for a "33" inch tire, look for your tire size and then look for LT or P-metric. Then check load rating.
If all you do is search for a "33" inch tire all you are going to get is a LT tire in your search results.

That is a interesting thought. Load range c seems like a nice compromise between factory p rated and the lt e load of the duratracs I’m on now. Have you used those load range c at3’s personally?

That is a interesting thought. Load range c seems like a nice compromise between factory p rated and the lt e load of the duratracs I’m on now. Have you used those load range c at3’s personally?

Personally I have not, but I would consider this if I was running 18" rims. Sounds like a good balance of comfort and durability, plus it's cheap.

And when you're towing or carrying a heavy load with a non LT tire the tires will squat, so you add air.
That raises your height, makes the tire stop squatting and makes the tire run cooler, then when you're trip is over you let the excess air out. Just make sure you do not exceed the max tire psi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom