Oxtail yeah baby!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I posted this on another thread:

"When I lived in Texas in the late eighties lamb (imported from New Zealand) was seen as pet food and dirt cheap, so we lived on lamb in all its wonderful variations. Now in Oz, and that greatest of delicacies, ox tail, is literally sold in the pet food section. Cooked long and slow with red wine, garlic, bay leaves and a chilli or two - man oh man! Heaven!"

I expected at least some reaction along the lines of "oh yuk" or "are you effing mad?" or "what hell-hole did you crawl from where you had to eat that?". But no reaction at all? Are you so disgusted? Is there anybody on Mud that has eaten oxtail - done properly? If you can get it and are brave enough I will post a recipe, and you will never want to eat anything else (OK well maybe not quite:hillbilly:).

Last edited:
I made an ox tail stew using this recipe before. I liked it , the wife didn't. Still in my recipe box though. I'm pretty sure this was a Food Network recipe. Sure, post it up... I'm always game to try something.

J

Ingredients

12 ounces dried lima beans
4 pounds oxtails
2 large Vidalia onions, chopped
3 scallions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, smashed
1 bunch fresh thyme
2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
4 teaspoons hot paprika
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons hot sauce
4 tablespoons gravy master
6 cups low-sodium beef broth
4 teaspoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons salt
2 cups rice

Directions

In a large bowl, cover lima beans with water, cover with a towel and soak overnight.

In a large pot, add oxtails, onions, scallions, garlic, thyme, red pepper, paprika, bay leaf, hot sauce, and gravy master and marinate at least 4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator, stirring occasionally.

Add enough water to just cover the oxtails and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower to a simmer, cover and cook 2 hours. Every 30 minutes for 2 hours add 2 cups of water or broth, alternating, as necessary, to keep oxtails covered with liquid.

At 2 hours, add the beans, tomato paste, and 2 more cups of beef broth and water, if needed. Bring to a boil then simmer uncovered 2 hours, skimming fat off top and stirring occasionally. In the last 1/2 hour of cook time, season with 2 tablespoons salt. Serve with rice.
Right Rice:

Rinse rice 3 times to remove starch. Put rice in a medium saucepan. Fill saucepan with enough water to cover the rice by 1/2-inch or measure by placing your thumb tip on the rice and filling the pot with water until the water reaches the middle of your thumbnail. Bring rice to a simmer, cover and cook until tender and liquid is evaporated, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let rice stand another 5 minutes, covered.

Ox tail is one of those things that was a poor man's 'cook it all day' meal in the US south and has now found its way to the menus of the places that charge way too much for tiny portions and uppity attitude. Never had it myself but there's no particular reason why.

Short ribs are another thing that have almost become too expensive to eat around here. And lamb shank.

Short ribs are another thing that have almost become too expensive to eat around here. And lamb shank.

I was thinking about beef short ribs when you said oxtail getting expensive. I've been a little surprised at the prices of some less popular cuts lately. Beef shank comes to mind.

I stick with pork spare ribs when I want ribs, you get a lot more meat for same price as a trimmed rack. I'd eat the oxtail if I could get it for next to nothing, too many other cuts you can get for around $2 a lb if you are flexible.

I like versions of this one (Jamie Oliver has one that is similar to this, cannot remember where I found this specific one):

Ingredients

· Two 750-ml. bottles dry red wine

· 12 large oxtail pieces (about 6 pounds total)

· 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter

· 5 shallots

· 5 garlic cloves

· 2 medium carrots

· 2 medium leeks (white parts only)

· 1 medium onion

· 2 celery ribs

· 3 fresh thyme sprigs

· 3 bay leaves

· 1 bunch parsley stems

· about 4 cups beef broth

· Preparation

Preheat oven to 325°F.

In a 4- to 6-quart heavy saucepan boil wine until reduced by about half (about 3 1/4 cups). Trim oxtails and pat dry. Season oxtails with salt and pepper. In a deep heavy ovenproof kettle just large enough to hold oxtails in one layer heat 1 tablespoon butter over moderately high heat until foam subsides and brown half of oxtails on all sides, transferring to a bowl. Brown remaining oxtails in 1 tablespoon butter in same manner and transfer to bowl. Coarsely chop shallots, garlic, carrots, leeks, onion, and celery. Add vegetables to kettle and cook in 1 tablespoon butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened.

Arrange oxtails over vegetables and add reduced wine, herbs, and enough broth to just cover oxtails. Bring liquid to a boil and braise oxtails, covered, in middle of oven 3 to 3 1/2 hours, or until meat is very tender but not falling off the bone. Optional (I am too lazy to do this and just spoon what's left of the veggies over the meat): Transfer oxtails with a slotted spoon to a bowl and keep warm. Pour braising liquid through a fine sieve into a large saucepan and discard solids. Boil liquid until thick, shiny, and reduced to about 1 3/4 cups and whisk in remaining tablespoon butter.

Serve oxtails and sauce with mashed potatoes.

I use oxtail when I make pho; all that extra gelatin makes it oh so lip smacking good!

Cheers,
Salue

Oxtail soup with barley and carrots... hmmmmm!!!

Oxtail soup was a staple growing up. Mom used to feed 6 hungry boys with it. Haven't had it in years, will need try it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom