Overheating hzj73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

we don't have napa in oz. I have had these for a while now, they feel good n shiny, no rust for a reasonable price
I would guess any V6 pickup and 4Runner (80’s mid 90’s) would probably also work. Don’t know if you guys got any V6 in these models, since most of the world got cool Diesel engines instead

Took the calipers apart fully and have given it all a clean, all the rubber seals are in good condition and from what I can see the pistons are good too happy to hear everyone’s thoughts on if I can just put it all back together again, not sure about the bores of the pistons though

015D5345-AB41-49DE-9EB3-A33992DCD335.jpeg

0ACF4071-F72B-4792-B98B-8636265681D3.jpeg

5C1AB2E8-3600-4900-B122-02D8840A16B3.jpeg

Looks good to go for me!
The piston bore in the calipers as well as the pistons outer sealing surface look OK to me.
The inner bore of the pistons itself doesn't matter. They are cupped for weight reduction only. (However that's a cavity prone for collecting dirt that eventually rots. Taking out the brake pads is dead easy and worth doing for some TLC cleaning once in a while).

Did you gain any evidence what made them stuck while taking the calipers apart?

You should give the fluid ducts in the calipers a thorough flush, with both compressed air and brake fluid, to get any gunk out.

Once you got this far, I wouldn't spoil the effort by reusing old rubber boots and O-rings.
In particular the sealing O-rings should be replaced in any case. Else there is a very high chance for one or more of the 8 pistons to leak. Then you start over again...

Great work!
Cheers Ralf

Looks good to go for me!
The piston bore in the calipers as well as the pistons outer sealing surface look OK to me.
The inner bore of the pistons itself doesn't matter. They are cupped for weight reduction only. (However that's a cavity prone for collecting dirt that eventually rots. Taking out the brake pads is dead easy and worth doing for some TLC cleaning once in a while).

Did you gain any evidence what made them stuck while taking the calipers apart?

You should give the fluid ducts in the calipers a thorough flush, with both compressed air and brake fluid, to get any gunk out.

Once you got this far, I wouldn't spoil the effort by reusing old rubber boots and O-rings.
In particular the sealing O-rings should be replaced in any case. Else there is a very high chance for one or more of the 8 pistons to leak. Then you start over again...

Great work!
Cheers Ralf
Awesome that’s good news. Nothing crazy just lots of built up gunk, water and brake fluid and the “shim” made its way into the bore and was in pieces. Seems it just needed a good clean and a few new parts nothing major which is great. Yeah that’s a good point it wasn’t a fun job to do might as well replace them.
Thanks heaps

A thousand years ago I used brake caliper assembly grease or lube when I rebuilt my MGB disk calipers.
Does that stuff exist in the southern hemisphere?
grease

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom