Overdue Build Thread - Fj60 5.3 swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

more wiring pics...
img_4418-jpeg.1896952

IMG_4418.jpeg

IMG_4428.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

I haven't seen that before but it seems like a good solution if a guy has a ton of relayable accessories.

You might get more tech help if you spin up a build thread on the main 60 series forum.

It was more of a PSA. I have the upgraded headlight harness and was thinking about rebuilding it with that mosfet type design to simplify it.

A headlight harness upgrade was the first thing that crossed my mind, too. I bet you could get it to work on your FJ60 but us 4 eyed FJ62 enthusiasts would run out of relays.

Did you go with the ARB harness? Also, I've been meaning to ask where you picked up the 5.3 from?

I bought one of the bussman relay boxes from wired wagon (slcfj62 on mud) before he stopped producing them. The 60 version uses three relays and the 62 version uses 4. The MSD relay has 4 outputs so it would probably work for you as well.

I got my 5.3 from easyefisolutions in vancouver. Very easy to work with.
https://m.facebook.com/EasyEFIsolutions

Well after I started looking at it more closely... I dont know how you would activate 87 (high beams) with the limited wiring of the MSD unit. Still researching...

Well after I started looking at it more closely... I dont know how you would activate 87 (high beams) with the limited wiring of the MSD unit. Still researching...
From Holley:
All circuits are N/O and activated when receiving whatever switched trigger you have them wired for. There is no way to have it operate like a regular 5 pole relay with both a N/O & N/C position.
If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to reply by email or if you need immediate help call our Tech Line.

New AC controls and aftermarket AC...

Last edited:
I love those firewall ports for the AC lines. The OE lines / plugs are definitely a weak point and your new setup looks like an improvement. Did you fab those or did they come with a kit?

Are you going to charge with r134a?

Also, is that the stock compressor or is it one that's compatible with your 5.3? Looks squeaky clean!

I bought a set of the grommets from here but the restomod kit came with them them also. I was going to use a bulkhead but that essentially doubles the joints and possibility for leak/failure. I opted to purchase the compressor from them as well but its a Sanden type compressor that can be bought from any parts store. I will charge it with r134a as recommended by Restomodair.

Small update that took a lot of work... I reworked the gauges I had made and reused the OEM lenses and bezels. Also epoxied in some threaded inserts to support the clock that replaces the old tach. Stripped and cleaned the main Bezel down and gave it a new black finish using SEM Trim Black.

IMG_4625.jpeg

IMG_4632.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

The new gauges use a signal instead of a mechanical speedo cable. I found a tanged adapter that converts the GM square style speedo provided with the gauges to the toyota gear/shaft speedo that goes in the Tcase. Im still researching but I think this will also provide a VSS signal to the ECU which helps with overall performance in a stand-alone LS based engine swap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom