Over torqued lug nuts / Rumbling vibration from front end (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m getting a rumbling vibration and growling noise coming from my front end when taking off from a stop and slowing down to a stop. Never had this before until…

I took my LX to Mr Tire to get my new tires installed. 285/75r16. Told them to torque to 97ft#. Got the truck back and everything looked good until I got home and tried to take a wheel off to do some work. I had to practically jump up and down with my 210# on the lug wrench to get em moving. Got 4 off and then the 5th wouldn’t budge. Brought back the truck and told them to get the nuts off and re-torque. They ended up breaking a stud and replacing it. They told me they only can torque in increments of 25#. WTF. So I told them to do 100#.

Anyways, now I have this rumble and vibration.

Could this be warped rotors? Bearings? I want to take it back to them to take a look but I don’t want their opinion or their fix. They seem like a bunch of f* ups. And I feel dumb af for taking the LX there. TIA

They probably did a piss job balancing the tires. 99% of techs/quick lanes I’ve seen, just impact the lug nuts on. The new electric impacts have even more torque. Look out for stress on the other lug studs. Did you have the rumble/vibration after they took the lug nuts off and retorqued or after the tire install?

I had the rumble after the initial install. I thought maybe I had to get used to the heavier tires. They are about 10# heavier than the previous ones. It’s been about 200 miles of driving and still get the shudder/rumble on take off and stopping.
Now that I think about it, I do notice that the tires feel a bit off at slower speeds. They said they road force balance.

I had the rumble after the initial install. I thought maybe I had to get used to the heavier tires. They are about 10# heavier than the previous ones. It’s been about 200 miles of driving and still get the shudder/rumble on take off and stopping.
Now that I think about it, I do notice that the tires feel a bit off at slower speeds. They said they road force balance.
As far as I know, road force balancing isn’t recommended until a couple hundred miles have been run on the tires. What brand/type did you come from and what are you running now?

Did they remove the hub to replace to broken stud? If so, they had to touch the bearings, and I'd be highly suspicious that the spindle nuts are torqued properly and the bearings are seated properly.

Actually best you check all of that stuff yourself. You'll need the 54mm socket if you don't have one already.

As far as I know, road force balancing isn’t recommended until a couple hundred miles have been run on the tires. What brand/type did you come from and what are you running now?
Both sets are 285/75/16. Went from E-Rated Lexani Terrain Beast to C-Rated Toyo Open Country CT.
96DB1F39-2F6D-4098-9509-4198E7F556D1.jpeg

Did they remove the hub to replace to broken stud? If so, they had to touch the bearings, and I'd be highly suspicious that the spindle nuts are torqued properly and the bearings are seated properly.

Actually best you check all of that stuff yourself. You'll need the 54mm socket if you don't have one already.
I was thinking I might have to do that. I’ve seen it done but haven’t done it myself. What parts involved would possibly need replacing if they f*d up? Or would I just need to double check and re-torque? Or should I just replace while I’m in there?
Thank you

Do you know the front wheel bearing (service) history of the current parts?

Maybe a good idea to spend the $250 on parts and specialty tool to install some new wheel bearings and races. Rotating more weight around the spindle with the new tires won't do any favors to your bearings/races anyways.

9/10 shops do not know how to properly service a 100 series front bearings, with preload and torque and what not. You don't know how many times i've taken the dust cap off only to see the 54mm nut chiseled off, missing claw washers, or the nut is barely on and just spinning if you touch it. Take it apart and take care of it before your axle spin and grind down your hub flange. Chances are that C clip is stretched out and will likely pop off soon.

9/10 shops do not know how to properly service a 100 series front bearings, with preload and torque and what not. You don't know how many times i've taken the dust cap off only to see the 54mm nut chiseled off, missing claw washers, or the nut is barely on and just spinning if you touch it. Take it apart and take care of it before your axle spin and grind down your hub flange. Chances are that C clip is stretched out and will likely pop off soon.
I was wondering about the urgency to do it. I was going to get into a radiator replacement but Im going to look into doing this first.
thanks for the recommendation.

My wife is always amazed at how much support I get from Mud. I appreciate the insight and recommendations from everyone.

There are a bunch of tutorials on YouTube. I’m probably going to end up watching all of them but is there any one you all recommend?

My wife is always amazed at how much support I get from Mud. I appreciate the insight and recommendations from eveveryone.
When a Hundy stays down past the count, exactly one cell in each of our hearts goes with it.

(This is a good spot for a mic drop moment)

Last edited:
I was wondering about the urgency to do it. I was going to get into a radiator replacement but Im going to look into doing this first.
thanks for the recommendation.

My wife is always amazed at how much support I get from Mud. I appreciate the insight and recommendations from everyone.
If you plan on driving it before you get the new bearings in, I would at least rush getting that 54mm socket, open it up, and make sure the nuts are torqued right for the time being.

I gotta familiarize myself with everything and make sure I have the right tools before I dig in. I think I found a good straightforward video. I’m going to give the girl a rest until I see what’s going on. Thank you for your help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom