over heated f motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I got my 72 40 running real good, idling up a hill and all. then i noticed it was running hot as i pushed in the clutch the motor stopped. It would not even turn over, the starter would engage then, clunk. I let it cool off, crow barred the flywheel and it started up but now it has a knocking sound and pops as it runs, then when it warms up it doesn't like to run. I think it now needs a 2f. Unless there is a miracle in my future.
During all my tinkering I didn't realize it was using so much oil.
Being a 22r guy and Toyota owner checking the oil often isn't normal. Any suggestions? Do you think this motor over heated before by the PO? Will the pop work out? I am looking for either Mark Whatley or Steve. He goes by "Poser" on IH8mud. I hear Both of these guys have a lot of hands on experience with 2F's and maybe F's also. Anyone may respond also. Thanks
Kyle jkleckey@eoni.com

As long as I had at least half the water I was supposed to, I never had anyproblems with heat in my F.

How many miles on this one?
Is everything else is in order as far as the ignition and fuel system? Have you checked your compression? Lots of things can cause a pop, a warped header flange can cause a pop.

From the hip I'd suspect the head gasket, but wouldn't jump to that conclusion without some trouble shooting.

I don't know how many miles are on it the speedo does not work. It did have about half the water in it. no, on the compression. the pop does sound from the top header side. yes it was running just fine, but now the knock bothers me cause it wasn't there before.
thanks for your time.
Kyle

Welcome.

Sounds to me like the engine lost oil pressure if it was stuck....

After draining the oil, drop the oil pan and look in there and see what is going on....post up some pictures if you can, and we can see what is going on too...

This does not sound good in any case....and I really doubt that there is going to be an easy or inexpensive repair.

-Steve

Steve.
Yes, it did lose oil pressure. I did replace the distributor with the other (parts) f motor I have. I think this would be the cause, I was having a sputter issue then swapped out the distributor it ran fine til it overheated in about 15 minutes time after the install. I'll try to get some pictures. I do have a spare motor that hopefully I can trade out some parts.
Thanks for your help!!
Kyle

i have a heat problem in my F also. i tried to drain the block and when i pulled the plug nothing came out. i tried to stick i screwdriver in the hole and it was solid. big build up of crap in the back half of the block. gonna try a rad flush in a week or so hopefully that helps. if that doesnt i dont know what to do myself...

Kyle Leckey said:
Steve.
Yes, it did lose oil pressure. I did replace the distributor with the other (parts) f motor I have. I think this would be the cause, I was having a sputter issue then swapped out the distributor it ran fine til it overheated in about 15 minutes time after the install. I'll try to get some pictures. I do have a spare motor that hopefully I can trade out some parts.
Thanks for your help!!
Kyle
the dist was fully seated into the oil pump right???

Kyle Leckey said:
Steve.
Thanks for your help!!
Kyle
No oil circulation allows friction to go unchecked and generate tons of extra heat. If this is the cause, it doesn't look good bud. But check and make sure that your pressure sending unit is still hooked up. The wire to mine is loose and falls off all the time. If you run it again you can put a mechincal gauge on it to see what your pressure is exactly. I hope it works out for you.:princess:

thanks guys for the input: before I put in the distributor I double check the lengths and then made sure it seated there were no leaks around the distributor the only difference was a vacuum adance to a cintrifucle(sp?) advance. and no it doesnt look good I new that when it 1st happened:( i'll check the sender

could the distibutor miss its mark and still fit inside??????
Kyle

Kyle Leckey said:
could the distibutor miss its mark and still fit inside??????
Kyle

Yes, and it will run just fine, until all the metal parts that need oil to keep working properly all get welded together from friction....

Steve
Gee, you make it sound so smooth... Ok how do you know when its seated and in the right spot? Put it in and start it and if the gauge give pressure your good to go? Give me a day or 2 to get to the pan and then I can post some pictures.:(
Kyle

Hi I am not able to dig into the cruiser right now. from talking to others there is a bad bearing on the cam shaft. would it be just as well to rebuild it? or put in a 2f. is the 2f a swap? what are your suggestions? 1200 for a rebuilt or 600 for a good used 2f. I have my ears on:0
Thanks for your time
Kyle

Probably just do the good 2F

How did you figure out that it is a bad bearing on the cam shaft???

the 2F swaps in easily. Almost everything is identical.

It all depends on how much you want to keep your rig stock..

By the knocking it does when at idle and then it goes away when given some gas..
Kyle

Check your lifter rods. These can jamb if the engine becomes too hot and can actually bend causing valve knocking. The engine turns over, so it is not locked up.

Good luck with that one.

Sounds to me like it is a rod bearing and not a cam bearing. I had a rod bearing go out on mine little over a year ago. When it first happend i was on the highway and lost alot of power and heard a slight knocking or poping noise so i thought it was my high powered coil arcing to the frame. However if i dumped oil down the carb while it was running the noise would go away. A few days later i started it up, it was about 10 degrees outside so my oil pressure was very high, high enough to take out the gap from the worn bearing and making the sound go away until the engine warmed up and the oil was much thinner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom